Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a tax file number online from Ireland?

Options
  • 16-07-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

Heading to Oz in September, am sat here about to apply for my visa online which all seems handy enough.

Have a job waiting for me once I get there and the employer wants me to have my tax number sorted, I know USIT and the like offer to do your visa with tax no, bank acc and all that but I don't fancy paying them for something I can do myself.

http://www.ato.gov.au/youth/content.asp?doc=/content/40962.htm - Went on there says it can be applied for online once you have your visa sorted but also states can only be applied for online once you are actually in Australia which would obviously shaft me a bit while I was waiting for them to sort it.

Is there a way to sort it from Ireland before mid Sept without paying USIT or the like to do it for me?

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Also its a standard working holiday visa I'm getting if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

No

You can only apply for a TFN once you have a valid visa with work rights, you only get the valid visa when you cross the line at immigration in Australia.

You might think you have a visa before you leave Ireland but its only a visa grant linked to your passport and you might have a letter with a reference number on it.... thats not a visa.

http://ato.gov.au/individuals/content.asp?doc=/content/38760.htm&pc=001/002/001/008/002&mnu=90&mfp=001&st=&cy=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

As far as i know, you need an Australian address in order to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

You need an Australian address to get the TFN. You must be in Australia to get it. It only takes a week to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Brian201888

How do the likes of USIT go about it for their packages for the visa which include a tax number? Might mean I have to go pay them 200 quid for filling out a form now because I could really do with it from when I arrive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Can't see how USIT can issue you with TFN before you activate your visa.

The ATO say they will only issue you with a TFN if you are in Australia

Permanent migrants or temporary visitors to Australia - online tax file number (TFN) application or enquiry

You can only complete this application if you are a permanent migrant or temporary visitor who is actually in Australia. You must also be either:
    a working holiday-maker
    a New Zealander and you are automatically granted a visa on arrival
    an overseas student and your visa has been amended to allow you to work
    a person with a valid visa allowing you to stay in Australia indefinitely
    a person with a business visa.

Advertisement