Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Paid in full for CCTV cameras and the guy will not give the money back

Options
  • 16-07-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

A couple of months ago a company gave me a very good price for a couple of CCTV cameras (Under a thousand euro). It turns out now that they are scam artsts and have done a runner with my money :mad:. What can i do to get it back? (Paid by cheque and cashed into the scammers account). Have contacted the comapny and they tell me it is in the post but no sign a week later. Guards have rang the company and they said it's in the post but no sign a week later again. Feel so foolish for trusting someone and paying up in full. What is the best course of action for me to take. The money is a big loss for me and i don't want to be spending alot on solicitors in order to get back what is rightfully mine. Any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Get in touch with the National Consumer Agency. Can't really think of anything other than that and to perhaps check if you are eligible to take them up in small claims court. You can read more about that here: http://www.courts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭straight

The NCA says it's a commercial contract and is not covered under irish consumer law. I don't think so myself and think it's a cop out on their part. Turns out that this scumbag has caught several of my neighbours also and they have also gone to the guards to lodge complaints of his behaviour. (Blatent fraud surely?) Is there any law there for these criminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Hmm, if the CCTV purchases were for a business, then the NCA is right. I don't know what your rights are in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭straight

Well I'm a farmer so I'd see myself as a consumer. Debatable i guess? They said to go about getting my money back through my solicitor which is what i was trying to avoid. I'm afraid this scam artist knows the law quite well from what i've heard about him.

Advertisement