Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homebase kitchen deals

Options
  • 16-07-2010 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Went into homebase on wed to price a kitchen. They had a great deal on, once you buy more then 3 presses you get it all at 50% off.
    Then they were offering an ADDITIONAL 25% of the full kitchen. the sales guy advised me to come back today (fri) as they were having a ten percent off day.

I questioned him and asked - so ill get 50 percent, then 25 percent then 10 percent off and he said yes.

All there posters stated 50% off all kitchens when u buy more then 3 presses. and then an additional 25& off. - didn't say terms and conditions apply. loads of banners outside saying 10% off everything today. I thought happy days ill save a fortune. NO. Clearly not.

In there brochure for the kitchen i wanted based on standard 8 presses was from 620 euro. my design included 15 presses so we'll call it 1240 euro.

These were full price not sale price. so i thought right big savings on the 1240, and then the additional bits handles etc. the full price was 7500 and the sale price 4500. Are they for real?

Complete false advertising, there brochure and the sale posters.

Absolutely ridiculous, even the sales girl told me to buy in cash and carry as the prices in homebase were not real.

Im disgusted, how can they blatantly do this and get away with it, what about consumer standards?

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Haggis The Dog

It looks as though you have become a victim of the fraud that is homebase kitchen pricing...same thing happened to me where discounts are not actually discounted...better off elsewhere, i hear their after sales are dreadful as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you think their advertising was incorrect or misleading, then lodge a complaint with the ASAI. They will look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP

I lost you at:

'These were full price not sale price. so i thought right big savings on the 1240, and then the additional bits handles etc. the full price was 7500 and the sale price 4500. Are they for real?'

I don't get how you got from 1240 to 7500.

Does this include appliences?

Terms and conditions

Terms and conditions for 10% Days

10% day promotion is available in store and online on Friday 16th and Saturday 17th July 2010. The 10% day is available online only on Sunday 18th, Monday 19th and Tuesday 20th July 2010.

10% will be deducted in store at the till between Friday 16th and Saturday 17th July 2010.

10% will be deducted online only by inputting the promotional code 10EVENT between Friday 16th and Tuesday 20th July 2010 inclusive.

10% offer excludes delivery charges, gift vouchers, installation, Replacement cover, Breakdown cover, Furniture cover, all Hire Station tool hire, Crocus purchases, express blinds and made to measure curtains, Managers specials, staff discount and damaged goods.

10% does not apply to orders placed by phone. To qualify, purchases must be made in full and in person at the store or online at www.homebase.co.uk. All applicable offers and departmental discounts are correct at the time of going to press, but may be subject to availability. 10% Day applies to England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and Scotland.

Standard/next day delivery charge is £5.95. Saturday delivery charge only £8.95. Furniture Extra and free-standing appliance orders can be home delivered for just £5.95. For home delivery on all other items, please see your local store for details. Items are usually delivered within 14 days (28 days for upholstery). Excludes delivery to the Republic of Ireland.

On Friday 16th and Saturday 17th July offer applies to orders placed in store and online. On Sunday 18th, Monday 19th and Tuesday 20th July offer applies to orders placed online only for home delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The 10% Days are a different offer. The Op is referring to a special offer on kitchens only.

However I too cannot figure out the jump from €1200 to €7500 or even €4500. I can only assume he/she is including items that are not included as part of the offer i.e. appliances, taps, sinktop, handles, drawer inserts, fitting etc.

Had look today at the in-shop posters and some(but not all) quoted the following terms as per their website:
    Kitchen pricing
    *Typical 8 unit kitchen consists of 2 x 500 floor units, 1 x under oven unit, 1 x 1000 floor unit, 2 x 500 wall unit, 1 x 1000 wall unit, 1 integrated hood door. (Prices include cabinet, doors, soft close and hinges. Prices exclude appliances and free standing appliances). Offer applies to home delivered kitchens only. 25% off kitchen units. Offer valid in store only.

Offer excludes Online Value kitchens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 toopybinoo

ok sorry ill try to explain it clearer!

In there brochure for a standard 8 unit kitchen in the style i wanted said 'from €620' ( i understand the 'from' in this price, but the next style was priced 'from 1139; or something like that so surely the style i wanted was less then that or it would have being in the 'from 1139' category).

Ok so from €620, i also understand that not each 8 piece kitchen is standard but we'll just use this as a base price.

i had fifteen units, its 620 for standard 8 units, so for arguments sake we'll say double that 1240 for 15 units. now i expected the price to jump up by about 1500 for standard counter, plinths, kick board, i didnt need a sink or tap or extractor, also corner units are not included in the standard 8 piece kitchen for 620.

I expected the full price kitchen 620*2 = 1240 plus approx 1500 for additional things detailed above. hence i expected about 2740 to be the full price of my kitchen (its tiny!)

And then i thought great, 50, 25, and 10% off that? woo hoo!

But no instead of my FULL PRICE KITCHEN BEFORE DISCOUNT being about 2740 give or take,

I was quoted a full price of €7728.00
    and a price with all discounts of €4521.00

Clearly this is not 50 then 25 then 10% off!

I questioned the sales girl who advised its all capped and the prices are not real as its nearly impossible to just buy there standard kitchen due to sizes.

There brochure states half price kitchen units when you buy 3 or more, plus an additional 25% off kitchen units.

No where does it inform the customer what the sales advisor told me - 50% off deal only applies to the first 3 units purchased. the 25% is then only applied to additional units and is then capped. the 10% should apply to everything. so at no one time does the consumer recieve 50 % and 25% of the same cabinet as advertised,

Hope this is clearer!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

its the same form of misleading pricing operated by many uk multiples. Carpetsh1te, reids, dfs, cost plus, homebase, argos etc etc etc.

if you think along the lines that a standard profit margin for a retailer before costs is in the region of 30% - 50% then it is not possible for any standard pricing to be reduced in reality by more than 30% unless its a floor model, end of line or other one-off type of sales.

Also - have you EVER seen homebase / carpetsh1te / dfs or other similar operators without a sale on kitchens, carpets sofas etc?

save all the hassle - drop into a local kitchen place such as cash & arry kitchens or other local store and check their standard prices against homebase's 50% + 25% + 10% prices and guess what - their everyday normal non bullsh1t price will probably be cheaper! - Same goes for carpetsh1te v ANY independent carpet retailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

So the prices of your standard 8 press unit (not including the bells and whistles) as you mention was in at €620.00

That price must of included the discount already taken off, you will find when there are big sales like this the brochures will have the discounts already in to show what a great deal it is.

I think the missunderstanding here is that the OP thought he would be getting those huge discounts mentioned on top of the €620.00 price shown where they where already taken off in that price of €620.00.

Advertisement