Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWT|Mars - WorldWide Telescope release with hi-res Mars imagery

Options
  • 16-07-2010 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey folks,
    If you want a really immersive experience browsing the latest NASA imagery of Mars, check out the latest release of WWT|Mars. It has more than 13,000 high-resolution images captured by a number of NASA’s Mars spacecraft, including the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter.

Here's a short video showing some of the new functionality...

Besides all the Mars imagery, also check out the Terapixel sky view and asteroids (all orbits calculated in real-time on your CPU)... speed up the time by a few magnitudes and check out the orbits of all the objects! There are also lots of new tours to take a look at.

Download (for free) from http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx - just click on the "Install Windows Client" button.

B.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Cheers for that Bosch,and jake 1.
    I tried this out on a computer with only 512MB of Ram.XP SP3.
    the tour of Mars is almost like being onboard the martian landers,rovers,orbiters.
    Really Stunning and fun!
    Want to download it now to a more powerful computer with better graphics cards and much more Ram.{Vista SP2:rolleyes:}

My problem is the programme keeps freezing/crashing the old computer.
    Have You got any of these problems,or is it just the old desktop i have to use sometimes cannot handle it?

Microsoft net.2 is required as well as Silverlight{which is an optional download from Microsoft update.So anyone who use's Windows as their OS will need to choose custom search instead of express search to find Silverlight.

No problem i would say for anyone Who has their computer set to automatic updates,it should have NET.2,3,4 installed already,but Silverlight might not be installed unless You run a custom scan and it will be under 'optional' software.

as usual with Me meant this to be a short post but i am so impressed i want EVERYBODY to view the Mars images!:)

So what i meant to post in the first place to folks that have it installed,are You having any problems with higher spec computers before i risk installing it on what was an expensive laptop?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Bosch

Yep, if you want a very smooth experience in WWT, you ideally need a machine with a bit of grunt, particularly in the CPU and graphics dept... see the recommended system config below for the Windows Client WWT app (although if you can get a 512Mb+ graphics card, that'd be ideal.) - a fast broadband connection is also vital to speed up the downloading/rendering of the imagery (which gets cached locally after being viewed once).

•Microsoft® XP SP2 (minimum), Windows® Vista®, or Windows® 7 (recommended)
    •PC with Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 2 gigahertz (GHz) or faster, recommended
    •1 gigabyte (GB) of RAM; 2 GB RAM recommended
    •3D accelerated card with 128 megabytes (MB) RAM; discrete graphics card with dedicated 256-MB VRAM recommended for higher performance
    •1 GB of available hard disk space; 10 GB recommended for off-line features and higher performance browsing
    •XGA (1024 x 768) or higher resolution monitor
    •Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing and scrolling device
    •Microsoft® DirectX® version 9.0c and .NET Framework 2.0

For the Web Client, you need Silverlight v3.0+ installed (available here)...

@ynotdu - I haven't seen any freezing/crashing which you mention, but it could be due to the hardware capabilities, particularly if it's an older machine - you might try turning off the asteroids to see if that helps, as I know their orbit computations are pretty CPU intensive.

I run the WWT Windows Client on a Win7 laptop (Dell Latitude D800) and it runs great, with very smooth zooming into the hi-def imagery, or playing the various tours... on higher-end machines (e.g. Dimension 9200), with better graphics capabilities, more CPU power and memory, WWT flies! (Try it with a wireless xbox360 controller on a plasma TV!)

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

Cheers Bosch and thank You for going to such bother to reply.

having checked, the laptop meets about 80% of the ideal requirements.

So i am going to go for it!

Cheers!:)

Advertisement