Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luxating Patella operation on dog

Options
  • 16-07-2010 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

My medium size dog had an operation for a luxating patella about a month ago, and we have been slowly recuperating him. The thing is now, about half the time he gets out of his basket, the leg that was operated on is up in the air like it is hurting him. When I rub it then, he puts it down, so I am guessing that it may have stiffened up on him or something.

Has anyone else brought their pet in for the operation and can give me a guideline for the recovery period? I saw it can take up to 6 months on Google, but I was looking for anecdotal evidence if possible. Thanks :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

He will need loads and loads of rest.

Hydrotherapy (swimming) might help, there are a few around Dublin who do this for dogs iirc.

Also I've found with my dogs that if something is sore, the "soreness" lasts much longer in their minds. I'd one poor dog who got knocked down at a friends and had his front leg broken.

For months after, he'd put the leg up in the air if he felt hard done by, and got away with it, your dog might be using the paw in the air as an excuse to get sympathy :) they are not stupid :) and can be manipulative.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

I wouldn't put it past him, he knows he gets it rubbed if it is up in the air. Good suggestion on the hydrotherapy. He loves water and would like to try that I'd say. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP how did you find out he had luxating patella ie what symptoms did he have? Our pup is going to UCD in a couple of weeks after being referred from our vets and I'm worried he may have the same thing? He cut his paw 3 weeks ago and only got the dressing removed today because the wound kept opening up! It's been so hard to keep him calm and not having him jump around etc for a simple cut paw - I'm stressed out worrying whats going to happen to him if he needs an operation!

Basically, his knee kept going out of place and would "lock up" in a bent position. From what I have read it's more uncomfortable than painful. Prior to the operation, we had to manipulate the leg in the upper thigh region and rub it and you would feel the knee going back into place. Was the vet who diagnoised it though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Rest is absolutely imperative, and any exercise should be very very gentle, e.g. hydrotherapy.

How are you keeping him occupied?

• Advertisement

Basically, his knee kept going out of place and would "lock up" in a bent position. From what I have read it's more uncomfortable than painful. Prior to the operation, we had to manipulate the leg in the upper thigh region and rub it and you would feel the knee going back into place. Was the vet who diagnoised it though

:eek: Aww the poor thing!:(
    Our guy isn't like this at all - just I've noticed he stretches his leg out some times and read that that was one of the symptoms of LP. Jumping to conclusions after googling symptoms! :rolleyes:

He goes through an awful amount of chew toys. We are taking him on short walks on the lead (before operation about 2 mile walks). I play hide and seek with him once a day too where I hide a treat out the back and he has to sniff it out. We try and keep him occupied with quieter things, doesn't stop him grabbing his tennis ball and trying to entice us into a game of fetch though

We try and keep him occupied with quieter things, doesn't stop him grabbing his tennis ball and trying to entice us into a game of fetch though

Our guy is the same - the more you try and keep him settled the more he wants to run amok - he was one last week so still a playful puppy! :rolleyes::pac:
    He'll chew a nylabone for ages if we rub a bit of peanut butter or marmite on the end. Also I got him one of those kong goodie bones from zooplugs - a rubber bone with holes in the end and put some treats in the end and he'll chew away on that for ages. The only problem with kongs is that when he's finished licking the filling the slimy kong gets dropped in my lap - "More please!" :pac:
    What I do with our guy is practice his training like making him stay, leave/take it, look etc and it wears him out.
    Another good game to play is "which hand" - so with treats in one hand, hold both (closed) hands out and get them to find the treat. Our guy went from guessing to sniffing each hand before deciding to touching the hand he thinks it in with his paw lol :D Really simple but keeps him occupied for ages.

Thanks for the tips :D I think our dog is just never going to grow up (Peter Pan syndrome). The vet thought he was younger than 5 cause he acts like a pup all the time. Soooo energetic. I forgot to say, that afaik the cuts on the paws always look worse than they are (similar to the cuts on a human's head). I think there is a vein or something close to it. That's what the vet told me before anyway, so I wouldn't stress too much about the pup. He might just need a stitch or two in it and maybe one of them fancy collars to stop him licking it.

Advertisement