Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any big climbs?

• 16-07-2010 10:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,
    Thinking of doing Mount Ventoux this summer,
    Anyone know of and similar climbs in Ireland to train on?

Cheers, Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Davemcfar wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thinking of doing Mount Ventoux this summer,
    Anyone know of and similar climbs in Ireland to train on?

Cheers, Dave

Repeats in Wickow are your only man... nothing in Ireland comes close in terms of length though, which is the main factor in the big climbs in France

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Davemcfar

Yeah had a feeling that was all there is. Any nice long runs in Kerry, cork?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Yeah had a feeling that was all there is. Any nice long runs in Kerry, cork?

basically find the longest, steepest you can (ROK_ON and the other Munster boardsies can help with specifics) and repeat till you're bored, then do a couple more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

think its about 800m and it goes from quite low down, so its about 11 or 13km long at 7% or 6% depneding on which side you climb, and it has savage steep sections of about 16% in it and near the top, will simulate Ventoux very well minus the heat, which can be ungodly, leave early [soon afetr sunup ;)]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Did it last July, twice in 2 days, first the usual way, was in bits at the top! 2nd time from Madeleine. Enjoyed that. Grew up in west cork so used to going up & down. Nothing here prepares you for it. Never did Mount leinster so maybe that would help. Glengarriff to Kenmare might help but it's a whole different ball game over there. Can handle the heat so that didn't affect me, although arriving at the top at 1pm probably doesn't help..
    Find a steepish hill near by and as the guys say repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Davemcfar

Thanks lads,

Mount Leinster sounds like just the job, although 16%, Jaysus !

Was thinking of trying it from Madeleine but I guess if I'm any kinda man I'll have to do it from Bedoin.
    Any suggestion on gears? I have a 9 speed, will I need a super big back cog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Thanks lads,

Mount Leinster sounds like just the job, although 16%, Jaysus !

Was thinking of trying it from Madeleine but I guess if I'm any kinda man I'll have to do it from Bedoin.
    Any suggestion on gears? I have a 9 speed, will I need a super big back cog?

Ive done it on a compact with a 23 on the back which is the same as a 39 x 27, I wouldnt go harder than that. Bedoin is a VERY hard climb, no switchbacks and it winds straight through a forrest untill you get to chalet reynard where your out into the rocks and then the sun moreso.

you mean malaucene ;) Ive done both sides in one day in a row its doable...for me :)

Advertisement