Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it true 80% of Microsoft Excel users can only use 20% of its functions?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

This poses the question - do accountants only need 20% of Excel functions to do their job! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

who really needs macros lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I tried to do the survey but couldn't because Q7 was mandatory and I couldn't tick any of them! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 20,025 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Da GOAT wrote: »
    who really needs macros lol

anyone who does any sort of financial modelling anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 kiwilostineire

Would have filled this out, most of my day I spend designing and using reports.... but I am not an accountant so did not want to skew results....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭SGKM

Did the survey - same problem on Q7.

I'm not an accountant but I'm in Corporate Finance so financial modelling is a pretty big part of the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Theexcelclub

Hi, thanks for your comments, I have amended q7 so it you dont have to answer. Would be fab if you could retake the survey

Paula Guilfoyle CPA
    Improve your Excel Skills NOW
    www.theexcelclub.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Hi, thanks for your comments, I have amended q7 so it you dont have to answer. Would be fab if you could retake the survey

Paula Guilfoyle CPA
    Improve your Excel Skills NOW
    www.theexcelclub.com

Retaken!

I don't have much - well, anything - to do with financial modelling as I work in audit. For the other functions, I didn't tick a lot of them as the titles meant nothing to me, however it's possible that I use some of them but just don't know what they're called! E.g. I thought I couldn't do any of the functions in Q7, but when I googled CSV file I realised that I use that all the time.

Just to let you know! :) In case there are others like me, and if so it might skew your findings a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,493 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

90% of user only use 5% of functions I reckon would be more accurate.

I use it all day every day and in general sumif is the most complicated thing I need to do, maybe the odd vlookup.

I work with 8 others and I know 5-6 have no idea what a vlookup is.

Treasury dept

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭DoMyBooks

I've read 90% of spreadsheets over 150 rows contain errors. Very few Excel users go anywhere near its potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

What happens if I click yes and no to these questions?

Also I'm not sure how to answer question 6 ('if you do not have good strong Excel skills?'). I have mad excel skillz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I <3 vlookup! If only I could make the output dynamic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Theexcelclub

hi all,

thanks again, you can get the survey results at http://www.theexcelclub.com/otherservices.aspx

Makes interesting reading

Advertisement