Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtue Mart sample online store template install - issue

Options
  • 16-07-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi folks, I hope you can help... this has my head wrecked!!

Using Joomla and Virtue-Mart I want to create a test online-store for myself to practice with. So I downloaded a free sample template file from Template Monster (because this was the only one I could find) at http://www.templatemonster.com/free-virtuemart-templates.html

This file is 6.4 Mb so I had to contact my host provider to increase my max_upload_filesize and also the max_execution_time, which they did.

But when I try to install using 'Upload Package File' method; after a lengthy wait the following error is returned:

Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: ""
    The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.

So then I thought to use the 'Install from Directory' method; locally I unzipped and then FTP'ed the contents to my /tmp folder. And directed the install path to my new folder
    i.e. /public_html/[my_domain]/tmp/free_virtuemart-templates_p2crb2bfklnmgswa

...but the following message is returned:
    Please enter a package directory

All other templates, modules etc have always uploaded fine using the 'Upload Package File' method, but I'm baffled now.

Anybody have ideas for me to try?? :confused:

Just to add... I don't know if the the template package is faulty, or the 6.4mb file is timing out during upload or if I need to make more changes to the php config file or what!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Lostinspace

Hi, personally I wouldn't use Virtuemart. I tried downloading and installing it there before on an existing Joomla site and it caused endless problems. It's just not worth the hassle. That's my personal opinion.

Personally I would use Magento. It's very easy to install. With certain hosting companies you can install directly from their control panels. I've been using it for a few months now and have never had any issues.

Just my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Left

So then I thought to use the 'Install from Directory' method; locally I unzipped and then FTP'ed the contents to my /tmp folder. And directed the install path to my new folder
    i.e. /public_html/[my_domain]/tmp/free_virtuemart-templates_p2crb2bfklnmgswa

...but the following message is returned:
    Please enter a package directory

Based on what you have here, I think you want to be uploading what is inside the free_virtuemart-templates_p2crb2bfklnmgswa folder.

It contains two folders: one called joomla and one called sources and joomla_readme.pdf.

The template install zip in within the joomla folder, called vm_sample.zip. If you install this using Upload Package File, you can get the main site template.

The other folder sources contains:
    1.) the modules for VirtueMart which can each be installed separately in the same way as above.
    2.) a themes folder which has the necessary files for the VirtueMart theme and shop items (in components folder)
    3.) A psd folder (containing source psd x2 - one of which is over 3.4MG. There's your file size issue)
    4.) 2 sql files

Provided you've already installed the VirtueMart component, you can upload the com_virtuemart folder into your components folder via FTP (I'd make a back-up of the existing com_virtuemart first!) and then via the back-end VirtueMart Configuration Site tab, you can Select the theme for your Shop.

From what I gather, the sql files would provide the shop items as you see in the screenshot on Template Monster, but this is complicated. Depending on your level, you might just start inputting products yourself. In fact, I'm not very impressed with this set-up. No instructions and way too complicated.

I don't know if this is the proper way, but it's a way. Good luck :)

BTW I use VirtueMart all the time and I don't find it caused endless problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I'd steer clear of Template Monster tbh. They are selling templates, not 'ready to go' websites. Their configuration is not complete.

Use the complete package that is available on the Virtuemart site here... http://virtuemart.net/downloads. This includes a pretty good template called JA Larix and loads of sample products.

Just upload all the files to your server and then browse to the location. You should be faced with the install setup.
    Hi, personally I wouldn't use Virtuemart. I tried downloading and installing it there before on an existing Joomla site and it caused endless problems.
    Developed several sites with Virtuemart and while it's not perfect, I never had any major problems. Magento is a different kettle of fish altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭the_god_swan

Thanks for the detailed responses guys,

Lostinspace, thanks for the tip but I'm not ready to jump ship just yet!

Left I will give your method a go first and see what happens. I had looked inside the unzipped folder but didn't think to break it up into the detail for upload you described, sound for that.

Scotty #, I had previously downloaded and installed the option from your link ' Complete Package for Joomla! 1.5' but that template 'JA Larix' doesn't show in my template manager. Does this have to be installed separately using the virtue-mart control panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Sorry, my mistake, it;s the e-commerce bundle one at the bottom you should be downloading.

• Advertisement
Advertisement