Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Degree modules to get an honour

Options
  • 16-07-2010 11:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Does anyone know how to go about repeating modulse in order to obtain a 2nd class honour in an undergraduate degree? I done a BA in Geography and Sociology in UCD and graduated in 2001. Is this relatively easy or is it difficult and time-consuming? any help would be much apprecitated..
    ps. If anyone knows how much this may cost ( I'm assuming expensive enough) I would also appreciate that info..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

While I can not be 100% correct in this, but I think that if you repeat a module, the GPA for that module is capped at 2.0. So even if you get 100% in the module, you'll only get a GP of 2.0. I could be wrong in that. It would be best if you contact the school programme office methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

You want to repeat a module from a course you graduated from in 2001?

If so, was modularisation even in UCD then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Rosita

redddbop wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to go about repeating modulse in order to obtain a 2nd class honour in an undergraduate degree? I done a BA in Geography and Sociology in UCD and graduated in 2001. Is this relatively easy or is it difficult and time-consuming? any help would be much apprecitated..
    ps. If anyone knows how much this may cost ( I'm assuming expensive enough) I would also appreciate that info..

I don't quite understand this. Is this a case where you got a pass degree and now would like to repeat one of the modules to hopefully bring your grade up retropsectively? If this is the case then you won't be able to do that.

If you fail a module and repeat it (in the same year), the result is capped at the level of a pass 40% for the purposes of assessing your overall degree (in other words you might be marked at 80% but it will be regarded as 40% for overall assessment). The idea here presumably is not to give an advantage to those who fail and can repeat above those who barely pass a module and don't have the option of repeating it.

Repeating a module in a different year usually happens when someone fails a repeat or for some reason cannot do the original repeat. Certainly in the case of the former the entire degree is capped at pass level, and I imagine the other situation the same applies as otherwise it just gives people an incentive not to take the original repeat in order to achieve an advantage.

I don't think the passage of time would make any difference to you if it were possible but if you have already graduated there's no way you'll be able to open up that course again, which if I understand correctly is what is being suggested here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You might be better moving forwards and doing a short program that allows you to get a diploma/degree that leads to a masters. Some of which which might give you entry as a mature student.

Especially if you are looking for work that requires a hons degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

dyl10 wrote: »
    You want to repeat a module from a course you graduated from in 2001?

If so, was modularisation even in UCD then?

No. Modularisation is a new phenomenon introduced in 2005.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Just to note, that if the OP is allowed to take a module as a repeat there's a fair chance he won't be capped. As presumably, he could take this repeat as a substitute elective (not capped).

That being said, I highly doubt you can reopen your course after nearly 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 redddbop

Thanks for all replies.
    My wage is affected by the fact I only got a pass in my degree so I was looking for a way to repeat in some way in order to obtain an honours degree.
    I will contact UCD directly and ask them what course of action can be taken, if any.
    I may have to look into a masters,
    thanks again everyone.

Advertisement