Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Garda Age Card accepted as ID when opening a bank account?

Options
  • 17-07-2010 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hey,
    Thinking of opening a new bank account with Ulster Bank for the Visa debit card, but I can't find my bloody passport anywhere. Does anyone know if they'll accept the Garda Age Card as identification?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Steppes wrote: »
    Hey,
    Thinking of opening a new bank account with Ulster Bank for the Visa debit card, but I can't find my bloody passport anywhere. Does anyone know if they'll accept the Garda Age Card as identification?

Absolutely not! I saw a person in my Credit Union last week trying to open an account with one, no way where the staff accepting the card as ID and Ulster Bank are as strict as anywhere else. you will usually need a recent utility bill to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steppes

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Absolutely not! I saw a person in my Credit Union last week trying to open an account with one, no way where the staff accepting the card as ID and Ulster Bank are as strict as anywhere else. you will usually need a recent utility bill to back it up.

I meant in conjunction with a bill as proof of address, sorry. Just wondering if they'll still turn me away even with that back-up.

Steppes wrote: »
    I meant in conjunction with a bill as proof of address, sorry. Just wondering if they'll still turn me away even with that back-up.

If you have other photo ID? bring it with you, it'll save you a pile of grief. I was made walk back to my car to grab my driving licence to do a transfer and I have an account with Ulster Bank! (Looking back, I should have stood my ground and argued the point that I already provided photo ID to open the account and get a chip & pin card) I think they make the rules up as they go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

U need id to prove who you are as when doing the transfer it counted as a withdrawal. If ur account was used by someone else and they didnt ask for id cos it was provided before would u complain?

greenman09 wrote: »
    U need id to prove who you are as when doing the transfer it counted as a withdrawal. If ur account was used by someone else and they didnt ask for id cos it was provided before would u complain?

Your point is completely invalid, you are NOT asked for ID everytime you make a transaction in a bank, your chip and pin is sufficient proof of identity which is why they make you jump tru hoops in the first place to open an account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

They make you 'jump tru hoops' because its the law.

A garda age card is acceptable proof of true name.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/money-and-tax/personal-finance/financial-institutions/money-laundering-in-ireland

Andrew33, you have no idea what was taking place in the credit union regarding thats guys card, maybe try not to be so nosy and keep your head down whilst other people are doing business.

Advertisement