Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Xbox 360 "S" Running Temperature

• 17-07-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I could get some feedback regarding the heat this new model generates from others who have bought it. Yes the DvD Drive is extremely quiet, general fan noise is considerably less, my only concern is with the heat that conjures around the new vented fan on the top/side (depending) of the console. After an hour or more of running a game the vent and the whole surrounding area of the case gets extremely hot. I say hot others might say very warm, now my previous Xbox (Elite) I could run for hours on end and whenever I would touch around the case especially the top and the back where the fans are and there would be little or no heat.

Just wondering if anyone else thinks this new model gets slightly hotter than the old ones? I know they built a new feature into this model that powers down when the machine is running too hot, that hasn't happened or anything and I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Just wondering if I could get some feedback regarding the heat this new model generates from others who have bought it. Yes the DvD Drive is extremely quiet, general fan noise is considerably less, my only concern is with the heat that conjures around the new vented fan on the top/side (depending) of the console. After an hour or more of running a game the vent and the whole surrounding area of the case gets extremely hot. I say hot others might say very warm, now my previous Xbox (Elite) I could run for hours on end and whenever I would touch around the case especially the top and the back where the fans are and there would be little or no heat.

Just wondering if anyone else thinks this new model gets slightly hotter than the old ones? I know they built a new feature into this model that powers down when the machine is running too hot, that hasn't happened or anything and I'm probably worrying about nothing.

Cheers.

Dont worry, I have noticed this myself. Haven't played it for hours but even with it on for half an hour there is a significant amount of heat that comes from that fan. I wouldnt be worried simply because thats hot air being drawn out of the machine and thats exactly what the fan is meant to do.

Any electrical device will generate heat, I get worried when there is no viable source where it vents from because that means it being trapped inside and we all know how that ends.

Also I imagine its a closed system they have developed to help cooling.
    Eg, there is one main air input and thats the only way air enters the system and only one main output i.e the fan, if both input and out put are at complete opposite ends of the system it means hot air has no where to settle and will always be forced out.

think in terms of a hoover... poke a lot of holes in a hover bag and turn it on.... some air is brought through the bag but you will not get a proper vacuum effect.... now only have one hole (excluding the output) and you now get air movement through the entire bag and as such a vacuum effect.

If you try I am sure you will find the input somewhere but its not going to be easy as its harder to detect negative pressure with your bare hand as opposed to positive. Also the input by its nature will have no heat coming from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Thanks for the swift response, yeah I'd be worried if no air or cold air was coming from it. Was just surprised at how much heat there was, glad to hear it's not just me. Haven't found an air intake myself, will see what i can find tomorrow.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Found it quite hot myself also. Probably a good thing that it seems to be common!

Advertisement