Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poles in the city

Options
  • 17-07-2010 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

No not the Polish lads. Has anyone else seen the poles being erected around the city? There's one on Westmoreland St and another on the South Quays. Seen a few others around but can't remember where exactly. They all seem to have a green net / mesh wrapped around them at the minute and the ground around the base is being dug up. Anyone know what they are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

MikeHunt84 wrote: »
    No not the Polish lads. Has anyone else seen the poles being erected around the city? There's one on Westmoreland St and another on the South Quays. Seen a few others around but can't remember where exactly. They all seem to have a green net / mesh wrapped around them at the minute and the ground around the base is being dug up. Anyone know what they are?

Isn't that what traffic signals are before they put the 'lights' on?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Presumably they're for the new JC Decaux sponsored tourist info signposts due to be installed. A completed example is in place opposite the Olympia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I spotted one been erected on Grafton St yesterday right outside River Island.
    What a stupid place to put it!!!! :rolleyes:
    Completely will destroy view as you look down Grafton St.
    Took this snap of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Sundew wrote: »
    Took this snap of it.

Until we know what goes on top no one can say its gonna spoil anyone's view of anything IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Until we know what goes on top no one can say its gonna spoil anyone's view of anything IMO.

Well from what I saw yesterday I just think it looks completely out of place as you are looking up Grafton St, as you cross from the Molly Malone statue.
    If it's tourist signage, that may not look too bad but I reckon if it's advertisting it will just take from the streetscape :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well from what I saw yesterday I just think it looks completely out of place as you are looking up Grafton St, as you cross from the Molly Malone statue.
    If it's tourist signage, that may not look too bad but I reckon if it's advertisting it will just take from the streetscape :(

Maybe so, I'm not disagreeing with you at all.

Personally I think we've too much signage up about the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If it's JC Decaux we know what the answer to that will be.
    Has anyone seen them yet take down the 'hundreds' of billboards they were to remove as part of their (for them) incredibly lucrative 'free bikes' scheme?
    Even one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Maybe so, I'm not disagreeing with you at all.

Personally I think we've too much signage up about the place.

I don't know about that - I'd say we have too much crap street signage though.

We could do with a lot more directional road signage around the place - main roads around Dublin are atrociously signed - you have no chance of getting around if you don't know where you're going already.

There are way too many dirty, tatty fingerposts, bent poles, and ad-hoc tourist directions, along with tacked on advertising. These should be cleared out or cleaned up, and replaced with efficient signs that let pedestrians and drivers find their way around the city, and mark important sights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

Just think, even more poster places for candidates for the next election, oh no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

spurious wrote: »
    If it's JC Decaux we know what the answer to that will be.
    Has anyone seen them yet take down the 'hundreds' of billboards they were to remove as part of their (for them) incredibly lucrative 'free bikes' scheme?
    Even one?

Didn't they have to remove the one from Dorset St because it was dangerous and blocking the view of the traffic lights up ahead and the pedistrian crossing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,216 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes, but part of the deal was they should remove loads of standard billboards, many of which had already been deemed against the City Plan. They never did. They regularly ignore orders regarding their existing advertising.
    Very strange how a company with such a history of non-compliance landed such a juicy deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ah right, I didn't know about that spurious, thanks for clarifying :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Took this snap of it.

The guy holding the sign looks peed off.
    Technology takes another job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

121400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Yes, but part of the deal was they should remove loads of standard billboards, many of which had already been deemed against the City Plan. They never did. They regularly ignore orders regarding their existing advertising.
    Very strange how a company with such a history of non-compliance landed such a juicy deal.

really? non-compliance with city ordance?

pls explain

T-Square wrote: »
    really? non-compliance with city ordance?

pls explain

Just as one example of many.

The two large scrolling advertising structures owned by JC Decaux at Newcomen bridge (North Strand) saw their permission expire in 2007. They should have been taken down then, but were not.

They have been without permission since then, though finally DCC seem to be taking some legal action, as JC Decaux seem to have changed them to fixed billboards (of the type the City Plan wants less of), following the failure of their attempt to get permission to build two of the large 'Metropoles' on that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭littleredspot

Just as one example of many.

The two large scrolling advertising structures owned by JC Decaux at Newcomen bridge (North Strand) saw their permission expire in 2007. They should have been taken down then, but were not.

They have been without permission since then, though finally DCC seem to be taking some legal action, as JC Decaux seem to have changed them to fixed billboards (of the type the City Plan wants less of), following the failure of their attempt to get permission to build two of the large 'Metropoles' on that site.

I can clarify. They applied late for retention which was refused, then a few times for permission for metropoles, each time being refused. As they were going through the planning system, the council were unwilling to pursue them through the courts. Eventually a court date for enforcement (to remove them) was set. A week before, the scrolling ones were taken down, case dismissed, a week later the fixed ones went up.

There is no planning permission for the current fixed ones. Aparently they did something similar in Waterford and when the council eventually brought them to court they said that they were simply reverting to the pre '63 use. The judge agreed! They are a very big multinational company who aparently employ the best of lawyers to protect a very profitable business.

Advertisement