Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Statement

Options
  • 17-07-2010 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

When a course states that a personal statement is not required, Should you do one anyway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Minnesota

Yes, you should write a personal statement. Even if they do not ask for one, it makes you stand out if a reviewer accidently reads it. It shows them who you are and why you should be in the program. It also indicates your not lazy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

or, it'll put you over the word count and be discarded. How many applications in Ireland have you reviewed Minnesota?

I have never reviewed an application, so I guess you can blow me off. I did write personal statements for all my MA applications and they were not needed. The director of the program said he had read it and told me he liked it during my interview. I also was accepted into all the programs I applied for and none asked for it. None of my applications were thrown out. I sent them on the website, so I would not worry unless your breathy. Its only supposed to be 400-500 words. If you think its a problem and you have good grades then don't do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

If the instructions say specifically 'a personal statement is not needed' and you include one, there's a good chance that it'll look like you can't read instructions. Do you need to include a CV? You may be able to stick a short statement in there, or note certain interests, if it's important to you to say something.

Minnesota, you're posting from the US? It's worth keeping in mind that there's far less of an emphasis on interview and extra-curricular type things here - entrance to undergraduate level is almost entirely through an anonymous 'points' system, for example, purely on exam results rather than 'who you are'. The same applies for a lot of masters courses - they just want to see what people are capable of academically, not how well they can sell themselves on paper. :)

claire h wrote: »
    If the instructions say specifically 'a personal statement is not needed' and you include one, there's a good chance that it'll look like you can't read instructions.

Definitely this. If you aren't asked for a personal statement you can assume they aren't interested in you personally imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jellybean08

I have recently just applied for a masters for which I HAD to include personal statement. Believe me, you don't want to take that upon yourself if its not required. I also agree that if you do submit one and it is not required it looks like you cannot follow instruction.

Best of luck !

I have lived in Ireland and the US. The US is just as strict about Grade Point Average or "points" as Ireland. The ACT/SATs and the GREs are a big deal too, just like the leaving certs. If the personal statement was a dumb idea then why is this a question on this blog? If you have good grades and high results then you do not have to worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Minnesota wrote: »
    I have lived in Ireland and the US. The US is just as strict about Grade Point Average or "points" as Ireland. The ACT/SATs and the GREs are a big deal too, just like the leaving certs. If the personal statement was a dumb idea then why is this a question on this blog? If you have good grades and high results then you do not have to worry.

Not saying the US isn't strict about the various assessments, but here the points (which are not directly comparable with aptitude tests or accumulated grade point averages in terms of how they are obtained) are all that's looked at, except for a very small number of courses. I can't speak for all the American colleges but I do know the top-tier ones also require personal essays, many want interviews, and they want to see some evidence of well-roundedness - involvement in extra-curriculars, student government, etc. Students are admitted to a college rather than to a specific degree, and by the college rather than by an outside body. The colleges are much more involved with financial aid; they know and need to know much more about their potential students before their admission. I'm not saying standardized tests aren't a big deal in the States, just pointing out that there are differences in how applications work.

On top of that, there are cultural as well as institutional differences, and there is a very Irish distaste towards tooting one's own horn - which is why providing something like a personal statement when it hasn't been asked for is less likely to be met with delight over that candidate's initiative here than it might be elsewhere. You can't assume that admissions people are always delighted to see that people have provided more than is needed or that it won't ever count against them.

Where's the blog?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭daveyid89

I recently applied to a master where a personal statement was optional, so wrote one out. But if it specifically says DO NOT write one i would'nt, i would agree with the above replies where it would possibly look like not able to follow instructions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

It states:

"There is no need to submit a personal statement for this programme."

I didnt notice ths until after I had written one. So I am unsure wheter to send it. Maybe, it might do more harm than good if I send it. I mean I might "play" myself out of being accepted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Jesus fucking Christ, if it says: "There is no need to submit a personal statement for this programme", then don't give them one, it's very simple. Whatever is required make sure you have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crouchie15

Hi,
    I have applied for a postgrad in dcu.In my pac app status I have been asked to write a personal statement.Is better to hand write the statement or type it?
    Any info would be really appreciated.Thanks

Just type it.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

Definitely type. I assess these type of applications, so I know!:)
    And don't do a personal statement unless encouraged to do one...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crouchie15

Jelly2 wrote: »
    Definitely type. I assess these type of applications, so I know!:)
    And don't do a personal statement unless encouraged to do one...
    Thanks for the info :)

• I wouldn't send a personal statement if it specifically said it wasn't needed. I agree that it could easily look like you can't follow instructions, or you're sending off 'batches' of applications to loads of places and have no special interest in that institution, or that you're tooting your own horn. I personally think you're safer NOT doing it but it depends who is reading it. They might be impressed that you went over and above what was required, or they might be irritated. I know my head of department would have been irritated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I wouldnt type a personal statement unless it specifically stated it was ok to do so. Some universitys keep them on file as a handwriting sample in case of any suspicion of someone else sitting the exams.

I definitely wouldnt either type or write one if the instructions stated it wasnt required.

I wouldnt type a personal statement unless it specifically stated it was ok to do so. Some universitys keep them on file as a handwriting sample in case of any suspicion of someone else sitting the exams.

I disagree, it should be the other way around, no one wants to have to struggle with crappy handwritten statements when it could be typed. I'm not convinced that a sample is required anyways, if such an issue with exams arose there would be more effective ways of investigating than a sample.

Advertisement