Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rear bag

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

There should be a velcro-ed hole at the bottom.Thats how most bags work.Most sand will work,the finer the better.Make sure its not damp.Use a funnel in the hole and fill it from the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

definetly no velcro, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

There'll be a 'filler tube' folded over and tucked in somewhere.
    It's not a separate item, it's just a stitched in extension to the leather of the bag.

Actually, there's likely to be three of them, one for the bottom of the bag and one each for the ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

jap gt wrote: »
    lads i got a present of a rear bag today, it came empty, just wondering what do ye find is best to fill with, also there doesnt seem to be any hole the fill it up, is it a case of making a hole and the patching it up again
    this is the one

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=shootersridgesteadybagrear

my one has a piece that folds away into a seam and when pulled out it is open at one end that you foll into and when folded back into the seam is sealed up again. i used mostly rice and a couple of No.7 shot shells cut open and the lead helps to give it a bit of weight and sturdiness.
    it will help yous group size allot..esp on the longer shots ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    i used mostly rice and a couple of No.7 shot shells cut open and the lead helps to give it a bit of weight and sturdiness.
    it will help yous group size allot..esp on the longer shots ;)

If you fill it with rice, don't get it wet.

If you do, you'll find out why. ; )

tac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

tac foley wrote: »
    If you fill it with rice, don't get it wet.

If you do, you'll find out why. ; )

tac

i can imagine, but you wont catch me lying out in the rain shooting targets as that is all i use it for.
    i dont bring it stalking or lamping;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    i can imagine, but you wont catch me lying out in the rain shooting targets as that is all i use it for.
    i dont bring it stalking or lamping;)

Would I be right in assuming that you haven't tried filling it with 'Ambrosia' then? ; )

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

"Silver sand" is supposed to be good, they use it putting down paving stones.

thanks for everyones imput, im looking forward to using it for some targets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

The sand used for childrens play sand-pits is apparently quite good too.
    Not sure where you'd get it - Maybe Smyths or some such place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

you should get some of the little bb's they use in airsoft guns and fill it with those

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dCorbus wrote: »

It's silica sand. Any Monumental sculpture man will have some.

Thats a headstone man for those not in the know. He'll give you some loose stuff for FREE

dCorbus wrote: »
    If you have an Argos nearby, this stuff weighs HEAVY:
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3650574/c_1/1|category_root|Toys+and+games|14417629/c_2/2|cat_14417629|Sand+pits+and+sand|14417885.htm

picked up that sand today rovi, now to fill it, i assume i must leave a bit of room in the bag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

If you know anyone working in the injection moulding business, ask them for a bag of plastic granules. Not effected by water, not as heavy as sand and provide a firm rest. My rear bag is full of polypropylene granules and they work a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If you know anyone working in the injection moulding business, ask them for a bag of plastic granules. Not effected by water, not as heavy as sand and provide a firm rest. My rear bag is full of polypropylene granules and they work a treat.

If anyone has a load of these spare, let me know. Would like to swap out the rice from my kneeling roll and these are meant to be great for that.

Isn't 'being heavy' part of the job description of a rear bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Rovi wrote: »
    Isn't 'being heavy' part of the job description of a rear bag?

They're still heavy, just not as heavy as sand. I use mine to rest a big camera lens on too, so I have to carry it around. Makes life a little easier with a bit less weight.

Advertisement