Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning to Invest - All questions go here please

Options
1313233343537»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

But I have unavoidable CGT gains upcoming (property related) so surely it isn't the hard loss overall, or am I missing something?

CGT is 33%, no changing that, obviously would rather profits and no losses but might as well take a realized loss on stocks that can offset CGT liability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Perhaps not necessarily a 'beginning to invest' question, but read a thread earlier about a person looking to split €2000 among ten stocks, which is where this curiosity stems from..

What is the minimum € position that you would consider worthwhile buying in a company? I know there are highly speculative plays, very long shots with high risk and so on, but typically if you wanted to buy into a company for a buy and hold, what is the minimum you would consider worthwhile; €500, €1000, €5,000, etc., and why?

Thanks

With a lot of brokers (Degiro etc) you have to buy a full share, so for something like Shopify that's about €500 (Google etc over €2000).

For me, it's evolved through the years, I started with about €50 per company to learn the ropes, then about €300 when I was feeling more comfortable, now it's about €1000 at a go when I start investing in a company, though some of my speculative losers have come right down from there.

I don't think there's a minimum. Whatever you're comfortable with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

What situation would you be in if you didn't lose any money, but had to pay the CGT without any offset?

The same position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Layne

Can anybody remind me how long after selling fully out of a position (for a small profit) can you buy back in again??

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Marymoore

Hey guys, a clueless investor here. looking to invest to fight inflation but want a safe investment. was looking at the s&P 500, but so confused when i see it on degiro. can anyone tell me the difference between vanguard and ishares? which is better? and whats the difference between EAM/TDG/LSE/XET... again which is best? i thought it would be a straightforward put it on s&p 500 but so many options...

iShares/Vanguard are just different companies, it's like saving with AIB or BOI.

The EAM etc are the stock exchange that your tracker is listed on (EAM being Amsterdam so the cheapest Eurozone one for you)

Search for IE00B3XXRP09 and you'll find it - Vanguard S&P 500 UCITS ETF USD

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Marymoore

thank you SOOO much Shedite. I literally had no idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Worth noting that Google have a 20:1 stock split coming up in July so folks will be able to buy a Google share for around €130 which will be nice for smaller investors trying to slowly build their portfolio.

• Advertisement

Can anybody advise me is there period of time after selling a full position in a stock before you are allowed to buy back in again?? Did I imagine seeing something about it or does it actually exist??

Tried searching online but to no avail. Any info greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

If you sell a stock to realise a loss. You can only use the loss if you don't buy the stock back within 4 weeks.

Selling or disposing of shares (revenue.ie)

You can still buy them back within the 4 weeks, that rule is just for realising the loss. That might be what you're thinking of.

Other than that. If you sell all of your stocks now, you can buy them back straight away as far as I'm aware.

In the US they have the pattern day trading rule. So might be applicable if you use a US broker (you can check that yourself, I'm not sure). It applies if you make 4 or more day trades within 5 working days.

Pattern Day Trader (PDT) Definition (investopedia.com)

Many thanks for that timetogo1.

Sold out of a stock for a profit and was kicking myself that I sold too early. I had convinced myself that I was precluded from buying back in for a few weeks but your post clarifies the situation now. Much appreciated.

Have been looking into Vanguard S&P 500 ETFs.

VUSA seems to be the most popular but I have been looking at the VUAA as it is dividend accumulating and the one domiciled in Italy is traded in Euros so no FX fees.

My first question is can Irish residents invest in the Italian domiciled VUAA??

Secondly, when I look how VUSA and VUAA are doing on Trading 212 they differ eventhough they are invested in the same 500 stocks e.g. VUSA has increased by just over 13% in the past year whereas the VUAA has gone up by almost 19% in the same period. Probably a very simple explanation but any wisdom would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Hi all, I'm looking into investing but have no experience other then crypto. I have done some googling, found the likes of Etoro, Degiro etc.

What is the best/safest platform to use? Thanks a lot.

Degiro/Interactive Brokers are the two that most posters seem to use

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I use Interactive Brokers and it's great, although it can be confusing if you're just starting out. Trading212 is much more user friendly and should have everything you need, they also let you create your own "pie" which is good for creating your own basket of stocks that you can invest in regularly.

Quick question.

Among the many metrics to be considered when investing in a stock what importance do you put on PE ratios??

Also am I right in saying that it is a plus to have the forward PE ratio lower that the current PE ratio i.e. it implies that future earnings will surpass current earnings thus an acceleration in growth??

Would be interested to hear what people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭dil87

Personally, and I'm not alone, PE ratios have little importance than many realise. High growth names tend to have higher PE ratios and they continue to go much higher (in a bull), rate of earnings increase is much more valuable to look at. Just because a company has a low PE does not automatically make it an attractive buy, that stock can go lower and so will its PE, at what point does it stop becoming attractive and start looking like a dud? Many big leaders in the past, including Microsoft, Google and Cisco, had high multiples of PE. If you're new and want to learn more I highly recommend William O'Neil's book, the 'value' 'Buffet' guys will disagree but that's why most holders are down 60%+ so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Noob question on Degiro- do you get the share certificates and get paid dividends on your investment?

Or is it just for spread betting?

• Advertisement

Yes to dividends, no to share certs (can't imagine any online stockbrokers issue physical certs)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Darth Putin

Seems on Degiro once you submit the w8 your is stock dividends are taxes at 15% (they take that out)

however dividends are taxed in Ireland under income tax right? So that 40-50%

does one then get double taxed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cgordy

Hi guys, I'm just starting off trading and made an account on trading 212. Have a few questions:

• Is this a good app to use here to buy and hold fractional shares? We don't have the ISA account option I believe.
    • Is it profit under 2000 is tax free? Is there any type of account that has a higher threshold?
    • If I decide I want to move to another platform can I transfer my portfolio without having to sell up and reinvest? What kind of fees would be expected for this?
    • If there is another platform you recommend more what is it and why?
    • My partner and I are saving for a mortgage deposit should I halt this altogether till afterwards or invest here and there when I can afford?

Advertisement