Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

partially blind doggie

Options
  • 17-07-2010 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭

I have a little 9 yr old cross breed terrier who had to have the lenses in both eyes removed, the second only yesterday, due to the condition of luxating lens, where it detaches and floats around the eyeball. Apparently its very common in terriers, and if its not treated, the dog goes painfully blind.

Sometimes the lens can be saved via cataract surgery, if enough of it is salvagable, they can put in an artificial lens but both of his were too damaged by the time the symptoms started showing. I have been told dogs can manage well without a lens, removal leaves them with "guidance vision". They dont need the fine tuned sight of humans, and he will never have to go out and work, or herd sheep !

The vet said there is the option to stitch in a "stand alone" artificial lens - my online research shows that this can be risky, high chance of infection and rejection by the system. And the sight provided will not be as good as a natural lens. Also, I strongly feel the little guy has been through enough surgery, no more. He is very loved, has a very good home, knows his way around house, garden and local walks and can still have a very good quality of life. As a small dog, he has a small window on the world !

I would love to hear of any similar experiences, esp where both lenses have been removed, and how owners and dog coped. And of anyone who opted for the lens insertion and how it turned out.:)

Advertisement