Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perception of RTE forecasts?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

I think Joe was shocked at the amount of people who heard the broadcast last night as he kept asking "so what were you doing at five to twelve last night" to all the callers who rang in.i dont suppose anyone has it recorded,the Weather broadcast,not Joe!?

The way the three outraged citizens who rang in were ranting on about fishermen etc you'd swear that Vincent was responsible for death and destruction on a grand scale. Luckily, the weather reports are not recorded (Joe sounded almost disapointed about that) so that's an end to it I'd say.
    Whether it was a Corkman celebrating a victory or a medicinal mishap it makes no difference. Vincent O'Shea is an excellent meteorologist and everyone is entitled to an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Oh if he had got the tape the full show would have been about it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Whatever about being able to read it out live, I wonder though how much, if at all, this adverse reaction affected his actual generation of the forecast beforehand! I'm sure the effects came on pretty quick around the broadcast time or it would have been spotted by a colleague. So he must have been fine throughout the evening as they were formulating the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Agreed,and he wouldnt of done the broadcast if he had felt it coming on.it must of came on fairly quick.anyway he was on the air this morning at 0755 and he was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭Speak Now

TBH i'm surprised that the 23:55 forecast is actually live.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

I cant believe some people are giving out about "Oh they said it was going to rain, and then it didnt"! Be happy that it didnt:mad:

I love ME's forecasts. Its about the last thing on TV with genuine Irish accents, instead of dub accents, or Jenifer Aniston accents. Well, mostly anyway, theres one or two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

TBH i'm surprised that the 23:55 forecast is actually live.

Well it would have to be done right around then as that's when the new sea area forecast is issued. It makes no difference to ME guys as they just slip into a small room in Glasnevin and stick on a pair of headphones. It could just as easily be the middle of the day to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think Vincent O'Shea should step down and a General Election be called.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Met Eireann forecast on their website hasn't been updated since 05:08 AM.

Its almost 8pm now.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

The internetty is having a weird day today what with the tweets being hacked n met forget eireann.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Discodog wrote: »
    I don't care who reads the forecast. Why pay a ME forecaster to read a piece of paper especially when RTE have decided that we don't need a morning forecast but can wait till lunchtime when half the day is gone ?.

The website forecasts are pointless. Today's forecast for Connacht "Showery, some heavy and thundery downpours". That's it !. Billy the Bog Man could have given more detail from his bit of seaweed.
    Why not ask Met Eireann why this is the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have & got a standard, often automated, reply usually along the lines of "thank you for you comment etc".

I suspect that including more detail would be seen as treading on the tail of Weatherdial & the other pay services.

Why not follow up and insist on a proper response. We are, after all, taxpayers paying for the service.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. If anyone has any contacts at ME I would love them to make a simple change by making the outline of Ireland clearer on the rainfall radar & 3 hour rainfall.

Right now there is a big splodge of rain covering most of Ireland & it obscures the outline making it really hard to get a idea of when it will clear.

Discodog wrote: »
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread. If anyone has any contacts at ME I would love them to make a simple change by making the outline of Ireland clearer on the rainfall radar & 3 hour rainfall.

Right now there is a big splodge of rain covering most of Ireland & it obscures the outline making it really hard to get a idea of when it will clear.

I get the impression that Met Eireann have big issue with resources, particularly in terms of having people to work on their web. Perhaps someone knows how they work. Of course you could email or ring and ask them!

Also, I have not heard Michael McAuliffe or Michael Cleary on radio for quite some time. Have they also joined Dr Aidan Nulty in early retirement and if so have ME got replacements or are they hit with the embargo on recruitment that seems to apply to all but the Dept of Finance with their 3 staff on Secretary General salaries?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

piuswal wrote: »
    I get the impression that Met Eireann have big issue with resources, particularly in terms of having people to work on their web. Perhaps someone knows how they work. Of course you could email or ring and ask them!

Also, I have not heard Michael McAuliffe or Michael Cleary on radio for quite some time. Have they also joined Dr Aidan Nulty in early retirement and if so have ME got replacements or are they hit with the embargo on recruitment that seems to apply to all but the Dept of Finance with their 3 staff on Secretary General salaries?

Yes, and Yes.

Making a line on a map thicker is not going to strain resources. The rainfall radar has been pointless for half the night until the coast appeared. The 3 hour is incredible difficult to read especially on a mobile. Sheer common sense would say that you don't obscure an outline with features.

Advertisement