Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jol to take over Fulham?

• 17-07-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

The Daily Mail says so..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1295401/Martin-Jol-set-named-new-Fulham-boss-flying-London-talks.html

"Martin Jol is set to be announced as Fulham manager by the time the team leave for their pre-season training camp in Sweden on Monday.
    Jol flew to London to discuss terms on Friday and is ready to sign a contract worth around £1.5million a year to replace Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage.

Fulham will need to thrash out a compensation package with Ajax as the former Spurs manager still has one-year left to run on his deal at the Amsterdam Arena,"

martin_jol2.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good appointment for them if its true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

mike65 wrote: »
    Good appointment for them if its true.
    Agreed, thought he did a decent job at Spurs while he was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,142 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Degag wrote: »
    Agreed, thought he did a decent job at Spurs while he was there.

And has been excellent since leaving too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Jesus, massive coup for Fulham, I'd have thought they were a big step down from Ajax.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

From the article: "As well as a desire to return to the Barclays Premier League, concerns over the sale of the star players that helped Ajax to second in the Dutch league and Champions League qualification are understood to have helped make up Jol's mind,"

Looks like he chose a guaranteed run in the Europa League over what looks to be a less than successful Champions League push.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

flahavaj wrote: »
    Jesus, massive coup for Fulham, I'd have thought they were a big step down from Ajax.:eek:
    Agreed. I suppose the lure of cheap shopping at Harrod's was too much to resist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

massive coup for fulham.he did a good job at spurs and if he had been given the players he looked for he could have been a success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

flahavaj wrote: »

Yeah I still don't want to believe it. He's done a great job getting us to the Champions League after so narrowly missing out in recent seasons. Also should have won the league but for that epic 0-0 with Sparta Rotterdam at home, the only game we didn't win at the ArenA in the league despite 42 shots on goal. That extra 2 points would have gotten us a 30th league title.

As for the big stars I'd imagine it's Suarez and van der Wiel he's desperate to keep. However, van der Wiel wasn't mentioned by anybody before the WC and Suarez would command a huge fee and is too good for the league. Being a selling club, I can't begrudge Luis for wanting to leave if that is the case, and after the season he's given us it's probably a good time to sell though I'd obviously hate to see it.

Jol has been a solid coach after a few dodgy years and has really formed the beginning of an exciting team which we're lucky to get every few years, the last being 2003ish-era.

If he goes, it is a huge coup for Fulham. I can't imagine he'll have the same amount of transfer power and certainly not the same amount of youth talent at his disposal, but at the end of the day Ajax are a European giant and Fulham relative minnows, but a comparison of the league's, and you can see why managing in the Premier League is a whole lot more appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Bad move for jol I think . Obviously more money in it for him I'd rather be fighting for title with Ajax Though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Wouldn't exactly call it a massive coup but still a great appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

From the article: "As well as a desire to return to the Barclays Premier League, concerns over the sale of the star players that helped Ajax to second in the Dutch league and Champions League qualification are understood to have helped make up Jol's mind,"

Looks like he chose a guaranteed run in the Europa League over what looks to be a less than successful Champions League push.

Fulham aren't in Europe.

This would be a strange move by Jol but a big coup for Fulham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

article wrote:

I am assuming that the sale of the players was out of his control so I wouldn't blame him for leaving Ajax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Ajax are being jackasses.

Ajax are being jackasses.

Why and how?

JPA wrote: »
    Why and how?

They have been refusing to meet with Fulham to discuss a compensation package, despite Fulham having a deal in place with Jol.

They are just being awkward for the sake of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

They have been refusing to meet with Fulham to discuss a compensation package, despite Fulham having a deal in place with Jol.

They are just being awkward for the sake of it.

Thats the point. Fulham can't agree anything with Jol until Ajax has given him permission to talk to them. He's under contract with Ajax.

Managers can't just run off to other clubs just because they get a better offer. Ajax are holding out for a decent pay off.

Mezcita wrote: »
    Thats the point. Fulham can't agree anything with Jol until Ajax has given him permission to talk to them. He's under contract with Ajax.

Managers can't just run off to other clubs just because they get a better offer. Ajax are holding out for a decent pay off.

That's what Roy Hodgson and Liverpool did to us and it is done more often than not I would say.

Ajax aren't holding out for a decent pay off, they are simply refusing to talk to us. They are just being stubborn for no reason. If they had supported their manager then they wouldn't have this problem.

Jol wants to leave, Ajax are behaving appallingly.

That's what Roy Hodgson and Liverpool did to us and it is done more often than not I would say.

Ajax aren't holding out for a decent pay off, they are simply refusing to talk to us. They are just being stubborn for no reason. If they had supported their manager then they wouldn't have this problem.

Sure Ajax can do what they want, he's their manager and under contract.
    Were Fulham even given permission to speak with him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

He is under contract with Ajax so they can do whatever they like with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Grand well I hope you feel the same if someone agrees a deal with Zamora or Hangeland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Good Manager, but big disappointment in other areas. If you hire him you will have to get a new manager next year.

Jol was at Hamburg for one season (on a 3 year contract) and asked after one very good season to be released to be able to take over Ajax. Ajax paid Hamburg 1.4 mil. Euro to get him.

Now after one season (on a 3 year contract) at Ajax he pulls the same stunt again. Worse then some players.

DubDani wrote: »
    Good Manager, but big disappointment in other areas.
    You sicko.

CSF wrote: »
    Grand well I hope you feel the same if someone agrees a deal with Zamora or Hangeland.

It's already happened to us with Liverpool and how they took Hodgson, so I won't apologise for having no sympathy whatsoever for Ajax.

It's already happened to us with Liverpool and how they took Hodgson, so I won't apologise for having no sympathy whatsoever for Ajax.

I'll try and spell it out for you as you don't seem to be listening to anyone here.

Liverpool to Fulham: "Can we have Woy as manager?".
    Fulham: "Hmmm... annoying. OK, for a price".
    Liverpool to Woy: "Join us!, we have Torres!".
    Woy: "Sold!"

Not:

Liverpool to Woy: "Join us. Don't mind your contract. It will be grand".
    Woy: (Two finger salute to Fulham).

I'll try and spell it out for you as you don't seem to be listening to anyone here.

Liverpool to Fulham: "Can we have Woy as manager?".
    Fulham: "Hmmm... annoying. OK, for a price".
    Liverpool to Woy: "Join us!, we have Torres!".
    Woy: "Sold!"

Not:

Liverpool to Woy: "Join us. Don't mind your contract. It will be grand".
    Woy: (Two finger salute to Fulham).

Despite your attempts at trying to portray me as ignorant, let me tell you again, Liverpool had a deal with Hodgson more or less signed even before they asked Fulham for how much compensation would be needed.

This is no different to the Fulham and Jol situation. It's tough for Ajax, but there is no nice guys in football.

Peace.

Liverpool had a deal with Hodgson more or less signed

No they didn't. They couldn't get Roy out of his contract without Fulham's permission to terminate it. So basically, Liverpool could have offered him a lucrative contract to join them. But it would have all been meaningless if they didn't have Fulham's permission to talk to him in the first place. Without Fulham's permission to terminate the contract, Roy could not move.

Not about being nice guys or not. It's about a legal contract of employment.

Peace too.

No they didn't. They couldn't get Roy out of his contract without Fulham's permission to terminate it. So basically, Liverpool could have offered him a lucrative contract to join them. But it would have all been meaningless if they didn't have Fulham's permission to talk to him in the first place. Without Fulham's permission to terminate the contract, Roy could not move.

Not about being nice guys or not. It's about a legal contract of employment.

Peace too.

Fulham never ever gave Roy permission to talk to Liverpool, doesn't mean that he wasn't. Roy had to resign, I'm not sure Fulham did get compo for him.

Anyway it's all pointless now. Jol is headed to Fulham. Roy is at Liverpool.

This is fun.

"Anfield officials were granted permission to speak to Hodgson following his return from the World Cup finals in South Africa last week where he had been working for the BBC."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/roy-hodgson-set-for-liverpool

Or:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/01/roy-hodgson-liverpool-impossible-turn-down

"I don't think there are many jobs that would have tempted me away from Fulham, to be perfectly honest. I had such a good relationship with the chairman and the chief executive, the players were magnificent to work with and everything was as good as it gets, but on the other hand when there was a chance that Liverpool wanted me, and they asked to speak to me, I asked the chairman [Mohamed Al Fayed] for permission.

"He wasn't too happy to give it but fortunately for me this job came about and I am really happy to be here. " - Hodgson

Compensation of £2.5m paid to Fulham apparently.

• Advertisement

This is fun.

"Anfield officials were granted permission to speak to Hodgson following his return from the World Cup finals in South Africa last week where he had been working for the BBC."

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/media-watch/roy-hodgson-set-for-liverpool

Or:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jul/01/roy-hodgson-liverpool-impossible-turn-down

"I don't think there are many jobs that would have tempted me away from Fulham, to be perfectly honest. I had such a good relationship with the chairman and the chief executive, the players were magnificent to work with and everything was as good as it gets, but on the other hand when there was a chance that Liverpool wanted me, and they asked to speak to me, I asked the chairman [Mohamed Al Fayed] for permission.

"He wasn't too happy to give it but fortunately for me this job came about and I am really happy to be here. " - Hodgson

Compensation of £2.5m paid to Fulham apparently.
    I think I'll stick with what I was told. Thanks, though.

Can you explain to me then why Cesc Fabregas has not jointed Barca this Summer? I mean, he wants to play for them. They want to sign him. Boyhood club and all that. Can he not just catch a plane over to Barca and put a shirt on?

OH THAT'S RIGHT HE CAN'T BECAUSE HE IS UNDER CONTRACT.

Peace.

Haha yeah, always makes sense to stick with what you were told over the facts.

Bad luck Fulham, Jol commits to Ajax. No details yet, but I think they offered him a bigger transfer budget and then told him he's under contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

HAHAHA!

Hilarious!

Mark Hughes agrees to take the reigns. Thats a decent pitch for him, no great expectation. They know they reached their high water mark over the last two seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Delighted for both parties. I hope Hughes does well there.

Advertisement