Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nVidia 8800GT 512mb Problem

Options
  • 17-07-2010 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    heres the deal lads. Switched on my computer the other day only to find " No Signal" on my screen.
    I checked the graphics card and the fan is still working on it. Checked all connections and as far as I can tell its just busted/fried.
    I bought it about 3 years ago and its been working great up until the other day.
    Its not an "official" nVidia card but a cheaper one using their chipset.
    Luckily I have a back up on my motherboard but the graphics are pretty bad on that one and I cant play TF2!!
    It has also disappeared from my Device Manager and scanning for new hardware doesn't have any effect either and the drivers were up to date.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ken

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Lookie here ;) No guarantees but it fixes a good few of them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Kenjd

I already read that thread but was wondering is there any way to test a graphics card with a voltage tester or something?
    Ps I already got some thermal compound in case i need to bake it!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

not sure what a voltmeter would accomplish.

I was hoping to test the circuit board maybe? And replace capacitors on it. I've done some basic soldering before and was thinking i could possible replace parts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

being an 8800GT thats not really the issue. See post #2 as a viable solution.

• Advertisement

Just finished baking it and it didn't work!
    Its of to komplett.ie for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Kenjd wrote: »
    Just finished baking it and it didn't work!
    Its of to komplett.ie for me!

Unlucky man.

Yeah, ah well. I only got 3 years out of that card which I thought was disappointing.
    Maybe I'll go for ATI on my next one.

Advertisement