Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband Usage.

• 17-07-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Sorry if this is long winded, but it's all necessary to make sense.

I'm having a usage issue with my 5Mb UPC broadband account, with a 40GB a month usage limit. I've already had a look through the forum but can't find a similar case.

I arrived back from my holidays at the end of June, and received a warning letter for the previous month of May saying that I had used 340GB. I thought this was totally out there considering my level of usage.

I figured the only way this was possible was if someone was accessing my wireless router without my knowing. So I contacted UPC tech dept, to ask if this was possible, who said to reset the password and I should be OK.

Before I had a chance to reset the password I received a second notice for the month of June saying I had used 210GB. Now this makes no sense at all because I was away for 24 days of that month, and the router was switched off.

So back on to UPC, who also informed me that I had already used 40GB in July and it was only the 7th.
    I recommended that I remove the router from the loop completely and plug directly to my laptop from the modem. And I said I would contact them in a further 7 days to compare usage from the first 7 of the month.

In the meantime for my own piece of mind I installed DU meter to monitor my usage.

I received an email yesterday saying I have used over 40GB more in the 7days. But according to my meter I've not even used 2GB.

So where do I go from here?
    Is this a scam to make me upgrade to a higher pack?
    Is there something I've overlooked at my end?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

There are people who use this service illegally, by having cloned routers (cloned mac address) - Im not sure, but if your routers mac has been cloned onto someone elses, their usage could count as your useage. Im not 100%, but I do know the pratice is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Yeah that would be my guess as well, and I'd imagine that they do all the accounting via your MAC address so I don't see how it wouldn't eat into your allowance.

Best thing yo do is to ring up UPC, explain that there is no way that you've downloaded anywhere near that amount due to you being out of the country and that you suspect that somebody is misusing your account. Ask for a replacement modem with a different MAC address and you should be sorted.

Its not UPCs fault or anything but I'd guess they run into this quite a bit, so if you make your case I can't see them not cooperating with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you can dig up your normal usage history over an extended period it might help strengthen your argument that you're not responsible for the high usage and something is amiss.

I'm sure UPC should be able to view switch logs or run a trace and determine if your MAC is coming in over the correct switch or one completely off your line.

Advertisement