Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coaxial wireless router?

• 17-07-2010 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭

I am currently trying to set up wireless internet in my house. We got the internet with Digiweb and they gave us a non-wireless modem with only one ethernet out port. The modem takes a coaxial cable as input.

I was just wondering do I need to replace this modem with another that takes coaxial as input, or can I pick up just a regular router that takes ethernet as input and chain them together?

We tried to hook up an old ADSL wireless router, but for some reason it was only giving the internet to 1 person at a time via ethernet. We could connect to the router through the wireless but with no internet access for a little while, then we turned off the DHCP because the internet said it causes conflicts and now the wireless doesn't work at all, so I reckon that router is just broken.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You need a wifi router that You plug the modem into, I recommend this one:
    http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1136421&productID=S3107041

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I second that recommendation, I had one in the same family for 5 years now, never a spot of bother really rock solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Any router/Wifi that has NO dsl modem.
    It has a 5th ethernet port

You must power off the digiweb modem so it gives out new IP to the Router as it has different MAC to PC. That's the only once off installing "digiweb" side needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

If you're looking in shops for routers, pick one that's designed for use with a Cable Modem rather than for DSL.

You just plug that into the digiweb modem and that's pretty much it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Solair wrote: »
    If you're looking in shops for routers, pick one that's designed for use with a Cable Modem rather than for DSL.

You just plug that into the digiweb modem and that's pretty much it.

If you're looking in shops for routers, don't let them convince You to buy a shiny POS Belkin, avoid, avoid avoid. Nothing but trouble, which is why I linked to a Linksys which can be depended on not to give trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They are just "ethernet" routers. They work with ANY modem that has ethernet port and let you interconnect different lans. They will work with a DSL modem/router in Bridge mode.

None are actually designed for cable modems.

Advertisement