Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Studio lens

• 17-07-2010 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

What do most of use as your main lens for studio work i.e group shots up to 5 and below,is the nifty fifty the way to go ,any advice appreciated thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Till recent I had only 50mm and 27-70. The zoom is much more handy if you have more than one person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

80-100mm is often described as the ideal focal length for portraits because of the way features are compressed. But put that on a crop sensor camera and you will need enough room to move back far enough from the subject.

I've used a 17-40 quite a bit (at around 30-40mm) at home with studio lights and it works out okay, but I don't have much choice because of the space available. 50mm will be fine as long as you can move back far enough to get the group in. Michael Conlon described the 50mm lens as his ideal portrait lens on his studio lighting workshop which was run as part of the photoireland festival last week. If you have the space, a longer focal length (and moving further back) is useful to avoid catching the edges of your backdrops in the shots. So it's depends on your studio space really...

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

I have a studio set up 12ft by 12ft ,also have a 17-35 lens which will fit group shots in no probs ,just wondering whether to get the 50mm ,will try current set up and see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

hoganpoly wrote: »
    I have a studio set up 12ft by 12ft ,also have a 17-35 lens which will fit group shots in no probs ,just wondering whether to get the 50mm ,will try current set up and see

I don't think 50mm will be of much use for group shots in that space. I just tried it in my kitchen, which is 12ft wide. If I stand at one side and take a photo of the other, the 50mm lens captures 4.5ft in width. That's a very narrow space to get a group into, and that's if they are right up against the background. That's on a Canon 40D - it would be more workable on a full frame camera. It should be fine for head and shoulders of a couple though.

hmboards wrote: »
    I don't think 50mm will be of much use for group shots in that space. I just tried it in my kitchen, which is 12ft wide. If I stand at one side and take a photo of the other, the 50mm lens captures 4.5ft in width. That's a very narrow space to get a group into, and that's if they are right up against the background. That's on a Canon 40D - it would be more workable on a full frame camera. It should be fine for head and shoulders of a couple though.

i have a full frame mk11 canon 1d and a 40d out on loan at present to a fellow boardsie so will try set up on monday when I get my bodies back thx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

The 1D MKII isn't full frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Its the 1Ds that is full frame , that's what he could mean ..

kensutz wrote: »
    The 1D MKII isn't full frame.

top of the class :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

top of the class :rolleyes:

:cool::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My space is around 5 x 12 and with a crop sensor and 17-50mm I often have to go around 25mm to fit a group. The ideal focal length is said to be around 90mm but I definitely recommend using a zoom lens for the portraits, I take shots wide as I get orders for canvas very often and if you are constricted to a 50mm you might not have enough space to wrap images around the canvas.

• Advertisement

My space is around 5 x 12 and with a crop sensor and 17-50mm I often have to go around 25mm to fit a group. The ideal focal length is said to be around 90mm but I definitely recommend using a zoom lens for the portraits, I take shots wide as I get orders for canvas very often and if you are constricted to a 50mm you might not have enough space to wrap images around the canvas.

thanks for the advice will do a few shots next week with my crop sensor and 17-35mm and evalulate them,have a lot of people looking for the acrylic frames for their photos anyone know where keenest prices can be got thx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

thanks for the advice will do a few shots next week with my crop sensor and 17-35mm and evalulate them,have a lot of people looking for the acrylic frames for their photos anyone know where keenest prices can be got thx

Go with Steve. I came across another fella that does them too, not sure price difference but Steve knows his stuff and can be well trusted, you need to be able to rely on your supplier.

Go with Steve. I came across another fella that does them too, not sure price difference but Steve knows his stuff and can be well trusted, you need to be able to rely on your supplier.

thanks will sent him a pm

Advertisement