Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soon to need a prescription for Nurofen/Solphadine/etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The general ignorance about otc medicines that has been displayed here prooves the need to restrict access to potentially addictive/harmful drugs.

So many people don't ever bother to look at the box to see what they are taking, they just go for a brand name.

How many posters here were able to distinguish between nuerofen and nuerofen+?I know of people who wouldn't know if they are taking paracetomol, aspirin or ibuprofen and think that the word "plus" added to a brand name just means it's the same ingredient only stronger.

All the info you need is in the box, it's not hard, you don't need to be a pharmacist to understand these leaflets. If people rely only on the advertisers for information about analgesics and this is leading to medical mishaps or addiction then restriction is completely justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

messymess wrote: »
    Does anyone know what you don't get the same grilling when you buy alcohol now?

"do you know excessive alcohol use causes liver damage, social issues the ability to turn up for work late and a desire to urinate in unusual places?"

"have you used alcohol before?"

"would you not prefer to have a filtered water?"

I went in to buy soluble solpadine for the picnic lastweek and to help with some joint/muscle pains from jogging. ****ers wouldn't sell it to me ... they'd sell me anything but that.

****ing ridiculous. I'll just buy the stuff on line from UK pharmacies now and give my money to jobs in the UK. All 5 euro per year :)

Well I've never met anyone who is so grossly misinformed about alcohol use that they think they need it to treat sore legs from jogging so not quite comparing like with like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Odysseus wrote: »
    Great display of professionalism, I hope you don't dispense methadone with an attitude like that.

:confused:

Methadone patients have acknowledged and are being treated for their addiction (admittedly by force for some), solpadeine addicts just want their fix and refuse to acknowledge the addiction.

Having these addicts screaming and shouting abuse is hardly fun for us but if we were to get upset everytime one of these addicts called us a 'cow' or a 'bitch' or screamed in our face that they 'have rights', we'd be a weeping mess! We can't let them affect us from doing our job and sometimes it's essential to take things with a pinch of salt and have a positive attitude. Listening to the some of the excuses people have told us has given us a laugh sometimes, they come up with the stupidest stories, but I would never say that their addiction is entertaining to us. It's extremely serious, which is why these new regulations have been brought forward.

I'm sure if you were to ask any doctor/nurse/social worker/garda, amidst all the horror stories and situations that they have to deal with, they will still have a hundred humourous stories about people they have come across in work, even when dealing with extremely serious cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Alicat wrote: »
    :confused:

Methadone patients have acknowledged and are being treated for their addiction (admittedly by force for some), solpadeine addicts just want their fix and refuse to acknowledge the addiction.

Having these addicts screaming and shouting abuse is hardly fun for us but if we were to get upset everytime one of these addicts called us a 'cow' or a 'bitch' or screamed in our face that they 'have rights', we'd be a weeping mess! We can't let them affect us from doing our job and sometimes it's essential to take things with a pinch of salt and have a positive attitude. Listening to the some of the excuses people have told us has given us a laugh sometimes, they come up with the stupidest stories, but I would never say that their addiction is entertaining to us. It's extremely serious, which is why these new regulations have been brought forward.

I'm sure if you were to ask any doctor/nurse/social worker/garda, amidst all the horror stories and situations that they have to deal with, they will still have a hundred humourous stories about people they have come across in work, even when dealing with extremely serious cases.

I fully aware of the use and the need for "black humour" when your work brings you into contact with very difficult circumstances. Apart from working in various treatment facilities for nearly 15 years, I used to also be part of the HSE Critical Incident Team.

We supplied the psychological back up to professionals who encountered violence during the course of their duties. Black humour can be a way of coping with some of the difficult and traumatic material that such professions encounter; in some cases day after day. I also work in a centre with addicts who are deemed to be unsuitable for treatment in the community due to their aggressive or impulsive behaviour. In other words, the clients that community pharmacist’s are unwilling to work with, or have refused to treat them. To be fair the facilities to treat clients who engaged in such behaviours are not available to community pharmacists.

However, I personally don't think the post I quoted could be classified as black humour. It was far from it IMO which is why I stated that is was very unprofessional.

However, I personally don't think the post I quoted could be classified as black humour. It was far from it IMO which is why I stated that is was very unprofessional.

I just thought it was a bit of an unneccesary comment. They can defend themselves I'm sure, but I would hazard a guess that ebixa82 doesn't break their heart laughing everytime they deal with an unfortunate methadone patient! I'm pretty sure he/she doesn't get a giddy kick out of dealing with a codeine addict either. A flyaway comment merely over-playing (perhaps too much for some people's liking) the humour that can come from certain situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I just thought it was a bit of an unneccesary comment. They can defend themselves I'm sure, but I would hazard a guess that ebixa82 doesn't break their heart laughing everytime they deal with an unfortunate methadone patient! I'm pretty sure he/she doesn't get a giddy kick out of dealing with a codeine addict either. A flyaway comment merely over-playing (perhaps too much for some people's liking) the humour that can come from certain situations.

I see your point, and I don't want to continue focusing on that poster. So to move it into a more general discussion, I do believe that a significant amount of health care workers hold a very judgemental and derogatory view of people with substance use disorders. I see it happening most days.

Now in general while a person may not show it in their interaction with a client, such "fly away" comments as you mentioned would suggest that such an attitude is present. Though this may not be correct 100% of the time.

Also just to make the point about pharmacists, I have met some with such an attitude; but I want to balance that out by acknowledging that some are excellence in the way they interact with addicts, even the ones who display challenging behaviours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Codeine can have an addictive effect alright, but if that's the path we're going down? Then why not enforce a prescription for alcohol? It's also highly addictive and certainly more destructive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Codeine can have an addictive effect alright, but if that's the path we're going down? Then why not enforce a prescription for alcohol? It's also highly addictive and certainly more destructive.

Pointless regulations.. every industry has a 'regulator'. That's what makes it so difficult for any one of them to be truly regulated. There's so much compartmentalization of specialties these days.. it's becoming impossible for anyone to question any of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

It's like banging your head off of a wall...

1. Codeine-containing painkillers that were available over the counter still do not require a prescription.

2. Alcohol is not a medicine. Codeine-containing painkillers are medicines, not for recreational use. The two situations are unrelated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Con1988

laugh wrote: »
    *** THE PERSON WHO GAVE ME THE INFORMATION BELOW APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN INCORRECT ***

Maybe I've been living under a rock in regard to this.

The chemist mentioned this morning that from the 1st of August you will need a prescription to buy painkillers containing codeine.

I'm thinking it will drive people who wouldn't have previously considered buying medicines online to do so.

Apologies if this has been discussed before.

This is just another great revenue generation scheme hidden under a famous word we have all seen allot during the boom... Regulation. Regulation my left foot. Solpadine is the only pain killer that works and works well at that. Now they are going to get people to pay 60-70 quid at a doctor first before paying another 8 quid for a box of it!! This is ridiculous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Connie_c28

The regulation is that is no longer allow to advertise or show the likes of Solphodine or Nureofen plus but any medication available before is still available but you just need to ask for it from the counter staff.......the idea is to stop people compulsive buying the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Con1988 wrote: »
    This is just another great revenue generation scheme hidden under a famous word we have all seen allot during the boom... Regulation. Regulation my left foot. Solpadine is the only pain killer that works and works well at that. Now they are going to get people to pay 60-70 quid at a doctor first before paying another 8 quid for a box of it!! This is ridiculous!!

Sorry to interrupt your rant, but may I please direct you to the post directly above yours...

I see your point, and I don't want to continue focusing on that poster. So to move it into a more general discussion, I do believe that a significant amount of health care workers hold a very judgemental and derogatory view of people with substance use disorders. I see it happening most days.

Now in general while a person may not show it in their interaction with a client, such "fly away" comments as you mentioned would suggest that such an attitude is present. Though this may not be correct 100% of the time.

Also just to make the point about pharmacists, I have met some with such an attitude; but I want to balance that out by acknowledging that some are excellence in the way they interact with addicts, even the ones who display challenging behaviours.

If someone is discriminating against a person solely because they have a substance abuse problem, they are ill-informed and need to be educated. So many of these addicts are 'normal' fathers/mothers/brothers/sisters, who are generally nice people that have unfortunately developed a problem.

Then there are the few bad apples who give the whole crowd a very bad name, just general nasty people who would be just the same, addiction or not but people associate it with the addiction, not the nasty personality. Also, not to the mention those who are so desperate to get their fix/supply that they will terrorize people and are willing to risk someone else's life to get it. You can't blame people for being wary when dealing with addicts. Until you get to know someone you can't totally trust them, and unfortunately people with substance abuse problems have that extra uncertainty about them that makes people hesitate. However, thinking that it's ok to disrespect or look down upon a person with an addiction is a horrible attitude to have, particularly when working in health services, who should know better!

To focus on the topic, I have yet to see any of these codeine addicts go to the extremes that the more recognised 'junkies' will go to, but they will lie through their teeth and use any and all stories and opportunities to get what they want. Who knows to what lengths these people will go to in the future as the codeine restrictions stay in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

last time I had Solphedine was for a cold/flu last year and they were great,.

Total Placebo effect and unnecessary use of Solpadeine. This is why these regs have been brought in..
    Mr.S wrote: »
    Bit of a joke this, everytime i go to buy a packet of Nurofen Plus, i get some lecture :rolleyes:

Please, just give me what I want that will cure my hangover / headache (Yes, i have tried the other, non codeine ones, they do **** all for me).

I am not a junkie. I am not addicted. I just want the products that will "fix" me in the quickest time.

This new thing is a bit silly, its not like they are refusing to serve you, they just make the process longer and annoying.

How often are you going exactly? The new guidelines are barely in a month. You should have needed to buy such products at most twice I would say.
    Great display of professionalism, I hope you don't dispense methadone with an attitude like that. I have said this before but there is something seriously wrong with the way drug users are treated by certain professions in Ireland. Even with those who work within the treatment regimes there is often a shocking judgemental attitude.

I'm not judgemental at all. I think Alicat summed it up perfectly and you seem to have understood her point of view, and hopefully, in doing so, mine.

I dispense to about 15-20 methadone patients a day. They are treated with the utmost of respect, we engage in conversation, have a laugh. However there is around 10% who unfortunately cannot be trusted and who I have caught stealing on several occasions. I'm sure the same % can be found in the general population.

My point about "having a laugh" was not directed at anyone with an addiction. Please give me some credit. It was directed at the idiots coming in demanding NP or SP unnecessarily (mild headache, bit of a hangover, blocked nose, runny nose) and when you don't give it to them they personally abuse and insult you..

If you were not able to take this abuse on the chin and find the humour in it (on reflection) then you could have some very long days doing a 12 hour shift in an inner city pharmacy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Was in Dundrum earlier and got Solpadeine no problem in chemist there, told them that I found Paracetamol on its own was no good, he just said don't try and buy a pack a day, I said I wont need a pack a day, good to see that not all of the pharmacists are idiots who jump when the Dept. of Health tell them to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

good to see that not all of the pharmacists are idiots who jump when the Dept. of Health tell them to.
    Especially when this directive didn't come from the Department of Health.

Especially when this directive didn't come from the Department of Health.

Whatever, Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland then, still a load of bollox, I'm a red meat eating, drinker and smoker who's sick of all this namny state crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Nonsense,

no it's not.

no it's not.

Irish Times said 84 people sought treatment for codeine addiction in 2008! So 84 people are dictating the law now, wake up people. I hope I'm long dead before the vegan, jogging health freaks are running this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Whatever, Pharmaceutical Society of Ireland then, still a load of bollox, I'm a red meat eating, drinker and smoker who's sick of all this namny state crap!

Sure, but 150 years ago it was legal to bait-bears, smoke opium and have sex with 12-year olds.

I'm sure that somewhere there's a bear-baiting opium-addicted pederast cursing the nanny-state too.

I'm being sarcastic BTW.

• Advertisement

Irish Times said 84 people sought treatment for codeine addiction in 2008! So 84 people are dictating the law now, wake up people. I hope I'm long dead before the vegan, jogging health freaks are running this country.

you said nonsense in reply to me saying that solpadiene does nothing for a cold. it doesn't. the cold and flu are viral infections. the only thing that can have an effect on them is a vaccine, or failing that, your own body's antibodies, which take a few days to develop seeing as those viruses mutate almost every year.
    watch the episode of the simpsons when everyone in springfield gets the osaka flu. most people on this thread are acting like the people in springfield, crying out for a placebo.
    solpadiene is an analgesic, not an NSAID like ibuprofen. it has no effect on how long a cold or flu will effect you.

and like it's been stated so many times already, you don't need a fecking script for solpadiene.

you said nonsense in reply to me saying that solpadiene does nothing for a cold. it doesn't. the cold and flu are viral infections. the only thing that can have an effect on them is a vaccine, or failing that, your own body's antibodies, which take a few days to develop seeing as those viruses mutate almost every year.
    watch the episode of the simpsons when everyone in springfield gets the osaka flu. most people on this thread are acting like the people in springfield, crying out for a placebo.
    solpadiene is an analgesic, not an NSAID like ibuprofen. it has no effect on how long a cold or flu will effect you.

and like it's been stated so many times already, you don't need a fecking script for solpadiene.

I didn't say it cures a cold did I? It relieves aches and pains/makes me feel better more than paracetamol on its own, is that too much to ask for? Obviously it is for the sake of the 84 "addicts".Anyway If I was to become an addict I'd go for smack or coke, codeine's for wimps.

I didn't say it cures a cold did I? It relieves aches and pains/makes me feel better more than paracetamol on its own, is that too much to ask for? Obviously it is for the sake of the 84 "addicts".Anyway If I was to become an addict I'd go for smack or coke, codeine's for wimps.

yawn.

you said what i said was nonsense. it wasn't. read it again. then go get yourself some smack. you deserve it big guy!

yawn.

you said what i said was nonsense. it wasn't. read it again. then go get yourself some smack. you deserve it big guy!

You would literally give an aspirin a headache.

You would literally give an aspirin a headache.

take a bow, jamie redknapp!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Do you think the number of people seeking treatment is the same as number of addicts?

fearcruach wrote: »
    Do you think the number of people seeking treatment is the same as number of addicts?

No but for instance there must be around 200,000 people in Ireland who are "addicted" to chips and burgers etc to the real detriment of their health, surely these shouldn't be sold without an interview process either going by the logic on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

Burgers and chips aren't addictive. Codeine is. Plain and simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

My packet of Solpadeine arrived from ChemistDirect on Monday, 5 days after I ordered them.

They've been happily sitting there unopened, waiting for when I need them (the idea of wanting to have them handy in my press at a future date, but not needing them now, was anathema to the couple of chemists I went into in town (Dublin) who refused the sale).

I also bunged in some other products I regularly buy (e.g., a months supply of Nicorettes) and saved roughly 40% on what these products would cost in Ireland. Seems to be some huge profit margins in this industry in Ireland, no wonder they were so opposed to dereg a few years ago.

Unfortunately the delivery charge to Ireland was very high (€17 on a total purchases of €50) which negated most of the savings.

However there is free delivery to UK or NI addresses - anyone with access to a NI delivery address would be mad not be utilising this sort of legitimate company for their families medicinal purchases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Burgers and chips aren't addictive. ...
    and as has already been stated in relation to alcohol, burgers and chips are not a medicine, don't (normally at any rate) contain codeine, and thus their sale and consumption fall outside the guidelines being discussed in this thread.

• Advertisement

He doesn't think full stop!

No but for instance there must be around 200,000 people in Ireland who are "addicted" to chips and burgers etc to the real detriment of their health, surely these shouldn't be sold without an interview process either going by the logic on this forum?

Is this guy a troll or just a bit dim?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Drella118

My packet of Solpadeine arrived from ChemistDirect on Monday, 5 days after I ordered them.

Just in case you didn't know, buying medicines from mail order pharmacies (whether legitimate or not in their own countries) is illegal in Ireland. It's not a criminal offence and I don't think that customs are likely to start prosecuting people, but anything that you order, whether on prescription or over the counter in Ireland, is liable to be seized by customs.

Not judging the rightness or wrongness of your actions, just pointing out the law as it stands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Drella118 wrote: »
    Just in case you didn't know, buying medicines from mail order pharmacies (whether legitimate or not in their own countries) is illegal in Ireland. It's not a criminal offence and I don't think that customs are likely to start prosecuting people, but anything that you order, whether on prescription or over the counter in Ireland, is liable to be seized by customs.

Not judging the rightness or wrongness of your actions, just pointing out the law as it stands

Can you provide a link to the legislation covering this please?

This article would suggest that it is not illegal unless they are prescription medicines.

And this publication from IMB themselves:

actually states:
    The IMB strongly recommends that you never purchase a medicine over the internet

It also states:
    In Ireland, the supply of prescription medicines through the internet is against the law and no online pharmacy is authorised to operate in this country.

But nowhere does it state that it is illegal to buy an otc medicine online. And until I see the legislation covering it I dont have an issue ordering my otc medicines from registered UK online pharmacies.

Can you provide a link to the legislation covering this please?

This article would suggest that it is not illegal unless they are prescription medicines.

And this publication from IMB themselves:

actually states:

It also states:

But nowhere does it state that it is illegal to buy an otc medicine online. And until I see the legislation covering it I dont have an issue ordering my otc medicines from registered UK online pharmacies.

I do it all the time, never a problem and much cheaper then the rip off merchants over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

My friends mother has a repeat presciption for extra strong solphadine so she hooks me up when I need some. I'm not gonna stand in a pharmacy explaining my life story to some fecking pharmacist on a power trip. S/he will probley still refuse to sell me it in the end anyway and recommend Anadin or some other crap. I need my Codine!!!!!!!:mad:

Faith+1 wrote: »
    My friends mother has a repeat presciption for extra strong solphadine so she hooks me up when I need some. I'm not gonna stand in a pharmacy explaining my life story to some fecking pharmacist on a power trip. S/he will probley still refuse to sell me it in the end anyway and recommend Anadin or some other crap. I need my Codine!!!!!!!:mad:

No you don't need it, you want it; two totally different things. If you NEED it go to your doctor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... extra strong solphadine ... I need my Codine ...
    You should be OK; the guidelines do not apply to these two substances.

You NEED to learn how to spell! Must be all that codine you're taking..

AFAIK pharmacists don't give a fcuk about your life story, they simply would like to know why exactly you request a painkiller which has the potential to cause addiction in misuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

This thread is a great read. I can't believe the amount of people claiming a need rather than a want for solphadine or neurofen +.

For me, disprin extra, feminax and paracetamol are good getting rid of headaches or cramps. Before anyone says I don't know painnnnnnn like they do - I'm pretty sure I do as I have major issues with my back because of repeated surgery on 3 slipped discs.

I used to take a LOT of pain medication and I really think that 95% of the time the extra 'painkiller' everyone is talking [ie codeine] is not actually killing pain but taking the edge off a little by relaxing you. I don't really think it makes an enormous difference to the pain but it makes it easier to deal with being in pain. That is my experience anyway.

When I heard about the new rules for selling these products I thought it was unnecessary but after reading this thread I can see why it has been put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

This thread is a great read. I can't believe the amount of people claiming a need rather than a want for solphadine or neurofen +.

For me, disprin extra, feminax and paracetamol are good getting rid of headaches or cramps. Before anyone says I don't know painnnnnnn like they do - I'm pretty sure I do as I have major issues with my back because of repeated surgery on 3 slipped discs.

I used to take a LOT of pain medication and I really think that 95% of the time the extra 'painkiller' everyone is talking [ie codeine] is not actually killing pain but taking the edge off a little by relaxing you. I don't really think it makes an enormous difference to the pain but it makes it easier to deal with being in pain. That is my experience anyway.

When I heard about the new rules for selling these products I thought it was unnecessary but after reading this thread I can see why it has been put in place.

I don't know that you can compare like that though. Different people suit different drugs. Paracetamol doesn't work for me, and difene makes me sick. I find solpadeine work well for me, better than any other otc medicine. It isn't a problem for me though because I have a chronic pain condition, so am prescribed it now.

I think the guidelines weren't thought through properly. It just ties up the time of the pharmacist, and makes it harder for people who need it get it. If you're addicted you will do anything to get it, that's what addicts do. So the people who really need help won't be much helped by this.

Honestly I think a campaign warning of the dangers of over reliance on all painkillers would be better. I knew a girl who took so much paracetamol that her liver was irreparably damaged by age twenty. Addiction is destructive, but I think there are more constructive, albeit expensive, ways to deal with it.

+1.

Just so you know Feminax also contains codeine!

I would agree about codeine doing little more than taking the edge off. It is widely believed that the doses in these preparations are sub-therapeutic with regard to analgesia.

I think this thread has really highlighted the problems surrounding these products and the need for implementing these guidelines.

There are many people posting here who admit to being addicted. Then there are many more who either don't realise they are addicted or have convinced themselves they are not.

Someone who is willing to travel up north and stock up on drugs or buy medicines over the net (at greater expense) just to avoid being questioned by a pharmacist needs to think about their situation...

On top of that, the sheer lack of understanding of pain analgesia, analgesics and the inherent dangers associated with these drugs, displayed here, is quite startling..

Like you, at first I was a bit skeptical of these guidelines, but the past 6 weeks have shown they were long overdue..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

ebixa82 wrote: »
    You NEED to learn how to spell! Must be all that codine you're taking...

Whaaaaaaa!? Yuo msut be kiiding, trheres nohting wrnog wiht my spleling!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I do it all the time, never a problem and much cheaper then the rip off merchants over here.

I personally dont have an issue with it and am convinced by the links I have provided that it is not illegal - however Drella118 stated that it was ILLEGAL to do so - and Id like to see evidence to back that claim up.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

No you don't need it, you want it; two totally different things. If you NEED it go to your doctor.
    And spend 60 euros so he can prescribe you what you already know you need and could have bought in the pharmacy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You could say the same thing about anti-biotics. "But sure I know I need them, why can't I just stock up on them over the counter?".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Stark wrote: »
    You could say the same thing about anti-biotics. "But sure I know I need them, why can't I just stock up on them over the counter?".
    Because there are serious consequences to unregulated consumption of antibioti.... oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

Stark wrote: »
    I do actually say that about antibiotics. I've done the research and am well informed enough to decide for myself whether I need antibiotics to kill off a bacterial infection. Of course there will always be irresponsible people who don't do their own research who will harm themselves with the products but this is life. Some people get knocked down because they don't look left and right when crossing the road. Does that mean the public shouldn't be allowed cross roads?
    Nevore wrote: »
    Because there are serious consequences to unregulated consumption of antibioti.... oh wait...
    You better not be talking about MRSA or other so called "superbugs".

BogMonkey wrote: »
    I do actually say that about antibiotics. I've done the research and am well informed enough to decide for myself whether I need antibiotics to kill off a bacterial infection. Of course there will always be irresponsible people who don't do their own research who will harm themselves with the products but this is life. Some people get knocked down because they don't look left and right when crossing the road. Does that mean the public shouldn't be allowed cross roads?

in this case then it comes down to knowing for definite if what you have is bacterial/viral/fungal, and the only way to be certain is to do a swab. a lot of the symptoms can be very similar. but doctors are guilty of that too, giving scripts for antibiotics when all the patient may have is a cold, and they just need fluids and bed rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

BogMonkey wrote: »
    Does that mean the public shouldn't be allowed cross roads?
    They're allowed cross the road, but it is regulated where and when they can do so. Bad analogy is bad.

You better not be talking about MRSA or other so called "superbugs".
    Eh, the declining effectiveness of antibiotics generally, and the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria is pretty well documented.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement