Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soon to need a prescription for Nurofen/Solphadine/etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

BogMonkey wrote: »
    What she didn't tell you was that the codeine is whats addictive and the ibuprofen is what causes the ulcers. Shes suggesting you take regular paracetamol which is notorious for causing permanent liver damage in people who have to exceed the recommended dosage to attain any kind of pain relief from the crap. BTW if you had just said you wanted nurofen plus and not paracetamol she would have had to give it to you.

Went to my GP and got some Zydol. Problem solved:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

BTW if you had just said you wanted nurofen plus and not paracetamol she would have had to give it to you.

Really, what would have happened if she didn't dispense the neurofen +?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

Solpadeine is toxic bull**** anyway. Ironically the harmful compound isn't the one that they are getting worked up over. Going over the recommended dose of codeine wont inflict permanent liver damage but paracetamol will. \.

After 15 pages of debate you come along and give out about these products being but on prescription! Shows you know fcuk all about what's goin on..

You don't seem to understand the issue at all. People become addicted to Solpadeine or Nurofen Plus because of the codeine. It is the excessive use of these that lead to liver damage/ulcers.

If there was no codeine in these products people wouldn't be using these excessively hence no risk of overdose.

If plain Paracetamol didn't work you wouldn't take more as it still would not do the job and you would go to your GP.

However, when you become addicted you continue to take these; not to treat the initial complaint, but because you like the codeine too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

I went to buy solpadeine today and I asked about the new regulations, and the pharmacist said that there was no consensus on exactly what they were meant to do. She said she was just reminding people to take codeine for no more than three days in a row.

Typical Irish laws :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

My own painkiller of choice is Syndol - work great for tension headaches or period pain.

I bought some Syndol last week and the chemist girl explained the new regulations. I asked if answers to the pharmacists questions would be stored electronically with my idendification. She said no. So, I said, whats to stop me coming here for a packet of Syndol, then going to the next chemist in the centre, then stopping at the 8 or 10 different chemists I pass on the way home and buying it in all of them and having the same Q&A session in each? The answer is: Nothing at all to stop me.

It seems like its just a new level of hassle thats been introduced. You either make them prescription only or you dont, pharmacists questioning people on their headaches, backaches, period pains, toothaches, whatever is just ridiculous imo. People have to take personal responsibility ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

People have to take personal responsibility ffs.

Exactly! I hate the fact that the majority of people who use painkillers sensibly are penalised due to a small minority. Alcohol is addictive, will they question us about that? No, because then they might lose tax money :rolleyes:

What has pissed me off is I was made to feel like a junkie by the woman in the pharmacy, yet when I go to my GP and explain the genuine pain in my head I get he prescribed me Zydol, which is a quite strong painkiller.

I have had no headache since taking the Zydol which is only a course of 5 days as painkillers are addicitve.

Beyond belief I could not buy a packet of nuro+, as I said in my OP I had a severe headache and didn't have the fight in me to argue my point!

(sorry about my grammar, mix of mediacation and tiredness)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

zimovain wrote: »
    What has pissed me off is I was made to feel like a junkie by the woman in the pharmacy, yet when I go to my GP and explain the genuine pain in my head I get he prescribed me Zydol, which is a quite strong painkiller.

I have had no headache since taking the Zydol which is only a course of 5 days as painkillers are addicitve.

Beyond belief I could not buy a packet of nuro+, as I said in my OP I had a severe headache and didn't have the fight in me to argue my point!

(sorry about my grammar, mix of mediacation and tiredness)

Did she refuse you after you introduced yourself with your user name?;)

Odysseus wrote: »
    Did she refuse you after you introduced yourself with your user name?;)

He he, very clued in buddy! Im sleeper tab free at the moment thank god!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

i-digress wrote: »
    I went to buy solpadeine today and I asked about the new regulations, and the pharmacist said that there was no consensus on exactly what they were meant to do. She said she was just reminding people to take codeine for no more than three days in a row.

Typical Irish laws :rolleyes:

Day 10 for me after wisdom tooth extraction, dry socket a few days later and now infection. The prescription 500mg Paracetemol/30mg Codeine tabs were no better than Nurofen+ with is 8mg Codeine. When I went to get more Nurofen+ the other day I told the girl behind the counter of my dental pain and asked if I could get some Solphedine too and she new exactly where I was coming from. She told me to offset 4 hour dose of the two tablets by 2 hours (ie. 2 Nurofen+...2 hours later..2 Solphedine...2 hours later...2 Nurofen+ etc) Only needed to do that for 3 or 4 days and am now down to 2 Nurofen+..4 hours later...2 Solphedine...4 hours later...2 Nurofen +.

Antibiotics I was prescribed should start working on the infection soon and I can reduce the dosage down to nothing. Under no illusions that the codeine withdrawl headaches and other withdrawl symtoms will kick in at that time but I'd rather a day or 3 of dealing with those than 2 weeks of dealing with dental pain 24/7

My point is there are still some common sense pharmacists out there.

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Day 10 for me after wisdom tooth extraction, dry socket a few days later and now infection. The prescription 500mg Paracetemol/30mg Codeine tabs were no better than Nurofen+ with is 8mg Codeine. When I went to get more Nurofen+ the other day I told the girl behind the counter of my dental pain and asked if I could get some Solphedine too and she new exactly where I was coming from. She told me to offset 4 hour dose of the two tablets by 2 hours (ie. 2 Nurofen+...2 hours later..2 Solphedine...2 hours later...2 Nurofen+ etc) Only needed to do that for 3 or 4 days and am now down to 2 Nurofen+..4 hours later...2 Solphedine...4 hours later...2 Nurofen +.

Antibiotics I was prescribed should start working on the infection soon and I can reduce the dosage down to nothing. Under no illusions that the codeine withdrawl headaches and other withdrawl symtoms will kick in at that time but I'd rather a day or 3 of dealing with those than 2 weeks of dealing with dental pain 24/7

My point is there are still some common sense pharmacists out there.

NSAIDS (Ibuprofen, Mefenamic Acid, Diclofenac) are always more suited for dental pain than Paracetamol based painkillers.
    She was right with the alternating doses but there was no need to give you Nurofen Plus and Solpadeine (i.e. two codeine based drugs). Plain Nurofen and Paracetamol could have done it or maybe codeine in just one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

yogy wrote: »
    If there was no codeine in these products people wouldn't be using these excessively hence no risk of overdose.
    Tell that to my friend who found his dads corpse hanging off the ceiling a few months ago.

I went into the pharmacy today to see what the story was and after talking to the pharmacist he gave me the product. They'll still sell it to you they just have to make a point of things being stricter now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

The tail wags the dog it seems.

The tiny minority that abuses these products should never determine laws made for the majority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Tell that to my friend who found his dads corpse hanging off the ceiling a few months ago.

Firstly BogMonkey my condolences to your friend, but I fail to see how that case of suicide is connected to ibuprofen/paracetamol.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

penguin88 wrote: »
    Firstly BogMonkey my condolences to your friend, but I fail to see how that case of suicide is connected to ibuprofen/paracetamol.
    He had been exceeding the recommended dosage of paracetamol for migraines for years and ended up with irreversible liver damage, evident by his yellow eyes (jaundice). Even after he found out his liver was permanently damaged he didn't want to stop taking the paracetamol because he couldn't live with the headaches. Eventually he hung himself. There were other factors behind it but I don't think the irreversible liver damage helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

He had been exceeding the recommended dosage of paracetamol for migraines for years and ended up with irreversible liver damage, evident by his yellow eyes (jaundice). Even after he found out his liver was permanently damaged he didn't want to stop taking the paracetamol because he couldn't live with the headaches. Eventually he hung himself. There were other factors behind it but I don't think the irreversible liver damage helped.

Again, I mean no disrespect to your friend's father, but this sounds like very inappropriate use of paracetamol.

When an over the counter medicine is no longer effective, is not effective when used according to the instructions on it or when it needs to be used long term, people need to go to their GP to discuss their condition and look at various other treatment possibilities.

For migraine, there are a number of other treatments available, your friend's father should have been offered some of these alternatives by his GP or another doctor.

If somebody suffers from migraine as severe as this person did then they should go to a GP who will prescribe them an appropriated treatment. It was obvious Paracetamol was not effective.

I would think the "other factors" you alluded to played a much more significant role than Paracetamol. This person chose to continue to take Paracetamol but could have stopped if he liked. People addicted to codeine based painkillers would find this much harder to do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭smilerxxx

Hi guys,

I went to a chemist today...i'll name them if i'm allowed. I asked for a box of twelve nurofen plus (ingrown toenail...im in agony, cant get to a doc until tomorrow) Anyway the snotty cow (not the pharmacist) said with the greatest of pleasure, "Sorry we don't sell them anymore" I said oh really, I'll speak to the pharmacist thenk you very much... anyway, pharmacist comes out (she should be retired) says we don't sell them anymore..:confused::confused: I just said thats a pity, your margin comes from those you should read those regulations correctly. I was very annoyed as the girl at the counter was sooo rude. I just left and went to another pharmacist who asked the questions, I told him exactly what was wrong and he handed them out..thank you mr pharmacist as I am crippled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Stephen P

I was in a chemist today waiting for other tablets and in the space of about 15 minutes three or four people came in and asked for solpadeine, the girl behind the counter said there's new regulations in blah blah and could she recommend something else or get the pharmacist. A couple of people just walked out totally confused but a couple spoke to the pharmacist and there was no way she was giving them solpadeine. Myself and my wife take Maxilief (very similiar to solpadeine) quite a bit and we're not happy with the new rules. I find maxilief the best for the pain I get in my neck and my wife suffers from headaches. We do know long term they are not good so in a way it's a good thing but they can't expect people to go cold turkey on them either.
    If the pharmacist is going to talk to everyone to try and persuade them to take something else it's going to delay the pharmacist in preparing prescriptions. We waited about 15-20 minutes today when it normally takes 10 minutes at the most. I did hear the pharmacist say something about only giving them out with a prescription. I'm going to try a couple of different chemists during the week and see how I get on.

• Advertisement

Stephen P wrote: »
    I find maxilief the best for the pain I get in my neck and my wife suffers from headaches. We do know long term they are not good so in a way it's a good thing but they can't expect people to go cold turkey on them either.
    If the pharmacist is going to talk to everyone to try and persuade them to take something else it's going to delay the pharmacist in preparing prescriptions. We waited about 15-20 minutes today when it normally takes 10 minutes at the most. I did hear the pharmacist say something about only giving them out with a prescription. I'm going to try a couple of different chemists during the week and see how I get on.

Going "cold turkey" refers to someone attempting to give up something they are addicted too.

'Trying a couple of different chemists" is what people with addictions do once they have been found out and refused in their local pharmacies.

I'm not saying you are addicted however the main issue here is that there is, I would think, hundreds, if not 1000's, of people out there who are addicted without even realising it.

Maxilief is identical to Solpadeine, it's just a generic form of it. You need to figure out what is causing the pain in your neck rather than just treat the pain with painkillers. Perhaps your wife's headaches could be treated with soluble Paracetamol?

These new regulations are a pain in the ass for Pharmacists but if it gets people to think about how they use/abuse certain meds then maybe it will be of benefit in the long run.

I know of one woman who is seriously addicted and she'll be going cold turkey without them. Myself and my wife I would say are borderline addicted. It's very easy to depend on them for the littlest of pains. I've tried numerous pain killers for my neck pain and they all had little or no affect. I am going to investigate the pain further with my GP.
    I do agree with you these new regulations will have a positive impact going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Whats the big deal, nurofen plus is not even really very strong...
    12.5mg of coedine is nothing.
    You can buy 50mg tablets over the counter in other countries in packets of 30.
    Real painkillers you don't have to mix with ibuprofen and paracetamol.
    Take one (or break it in half on the line and take a half) for proper pain relief.

I think it is safer than popping a couple of nurofen + with almost no effect, and later taking a couple of panadol, as the pharmacist suggested... 4 pills for a very minor pain relief, jaysus!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I suffer from excrutiating pain in my neck from muscle spasms. I can't take anti inflammatories as they counteraffect my bp medication. Syndol really help me, when it's bad I'd get no sleep without them. I also suffer from severe localised Classical Migraine, so I need to have some kind of codeine based pain killer in the house at all times. My oh went into Boots this morning to get me some but the chemist wouldn't give them to him. I really hope I can get them myself later. Does anyone know if these regulations apply up north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Ann22 wrote: »
    I suffer from excrutiating pain in my neck from muscle spasms. I can't take anti inflammatories as they counteraffect my bp medication. Syndol really help me, when it's bad I'd get no sleep without them. I also suffer from severe localised Classical Migraine, so I need to have some kind of codeine based pain killer in the house at all times. My oh went into Boots this morning to get me some but the chemist wouldn't give them to him. I really hope I can get them myself later. Does anyone know if these regulations apply up north?

Go to your GP, explain your situation.

bleg wrote: »
    Go to your GP, explain your situation.

I will though he last time I went she gave me Tegretol which is an anti depressant that is also used to treat trigeminal neuralgia. They did work but they gave me really bad heartburn. She also said that I should go for physical therapy. I do attend a therapist regularly but either it doesn't work or it makes it worse.I really don't want to be taking really strong prescription tablets like Tradol etc as the Syndol do work and they're not as strong. It just a lot of hassle to have to worry about getting them.

• Advertisement

I will though he last time I went she gave me Tegretol which is an anti depressant that is also used to treat trigeminal neuralgia. They did work but they gave me really bad heartburn. She also said that I should go for physical therapy. I do attend a therapist regularly but either it doesn't work or it makes it worse.I really don't want to be taking really strong prescription tablets like Tradol etc as the Syndol do work and they're not as strong. It just a lot of hassle to have to worry about getting them.

These are all things you need to discuss with your GP.

Tegretol was a correct choice made by your GP. Also her advice about PT was spot on. You obviously went surfing the net and misinformed yourself about what Tegretol is. It is a drug used to treat epilepsy and neuropathic pain. Trigeminal neuralgia is a form of nerve pain. It is used to treat bipolar depression also. The treatment of this is very different to that of depression. But you have tried to research this and got your wires crossed.

Your doctor knows what she is on about. You do not. Put up with the heartburn and maybe take an acid inhibitor to overcome it. You will thank her in the long run instead of getting hooked on Tradol, Syndol and all that bollix..

Tegretol was a correct choice made by your GP. Also her advice about PT was spot on. You obviously went surfing the net and misinformed yourself about what Tegretol is. It is a drug used to treat epilepsy and neuropathic pain. Trigeminal neuralgia is a form of nerve pain. It is used to treat bipolar depression also. The treatment of this is very different to that of depression. But you have tried to research this and got your wires crossed.

Your doctor knows what she is on about. You do not. Put up with the heartburn and maybe take an acid inhibitor to overcome it. You will thank her in the long run instead of getting hooked on Tradol, Syndol and all that bollix..

I didn't surf the net actually. I actually read the leaflet that came with it and I knew it was sometimes prescribed for some kind of depression, it was a few years ago now and I can't remember now what type of depression it was. I just mentioned that in my post in case anyone reading thought I was on it for that reason and suspected I was maybe a depression sufferer and was depending on Syndol to make me feel better.

I read all med leaflets and I do make sure I know what I'm taking, what the side effects are and what meds to avoid. Obviously, I'm aware that the doctor knows what she's talking about and prescribed me the correct meds. I never said she didn't :rolleyes:.

Fyr I was on antacids constantly when i was on Tegretol but got very little relief from them. My stomach became very inflamed. I'd rather put up with intermittent pain than a gastric ulcer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Just bear in mind that pharmacies are often subject to 'mystery shoppers', to check we are sticking to the regulations. We HAVE to give the big talk to anyone who wants to purchase Codeine products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

sesna wrote: »
    Thats why you take two tablets per dose. Also are you suggesting the Irish Medicines Board were negligent in their duty when they approved these codeine medicines as being efficacious.
    Negligent, no!
    The whole thing is massively over-regulated.

Sort out the junkies before ye start restricting low-strength pain medication.
    Its just pointless, that in Ireland if you need codeine for pain relief that you have to take 2 x 200mg of ibuprofen at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

My wife today was refused by her own chemist who said she must get it on prescription from her doctor.

Another chemist said she must have a doctor's note.

That's a load of bull, the rules don't specifically say a prescription is needed. I got them yesterday after I said I never take them for more than 3 days. They said for long term use get a prescription, they were "ok" about it. Every chemist will have a different approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 legals81

Went into a very well known chemist chain and asked for Nurofen Plus, was told i had to see the Pharmacist, there was a big queue of people waiting for the same thing so i didnt hang around. Went to another chemist up the road and got a 24 pack no problem. Got the three day warning thing but no major hassle.

I think after the initial panic buying that people seem to be doing it will ease up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭ynul31f47k6b59

Guys this might be a teeny bit OT, but I just thought I'd share my story about Solpadeine while I have the balls to do so:

I started taking Solpadeine about 5 years ago, initally for migraine/period pain/back pain whatever pain I happened to have at the time. Up to last year, I was taking two in the morning for absolutely no reason, and as time went on, it gradually went from two in the morning to two in the morning, two in the afternoon, and two in the evening. And an extra two if i felt nervous, anxious, or annoyed. I'd even started to go to different chemists to get it. I knew it was ridiculous, and expensive, but I used to panic if i was running low on it. I hid the wrappers so that my other half wouldn't find them.

Then, last November, my son was rushed to hospital after a bad breathing attack. I had to stay with him in Mullingar for a week. I can honestly say, that I didn't think of the Solpadeine once after the first day - the first night, I had a banging headache, but I could hardly ask the Nurse for some Solpadeine, so I just drank lots of water and went to sleep. The worry of the whole situation surpassed the worry about the solpadeine, and I haven't bought them since.

I think that in one way, the new regulations are good, because they prevent people from doing long-term damage to their livers, and it makes them face up to the fact that they have a problem. I know it's very, very hard to beat any kind of addiction, but for those who find it hard - try a placebo. If you were taking two soluble tablets at a certain time, then try a glass of 7up or water at that same time - keep the routine, but cut the codeine out of it. That sounds so stupid, but anyone who can trick themself into thinking they have a headache just so that they can take painkillers is more than capable of tricking themself into thinking that they've just taken some.

I hope the chemists don't ease up, and that might sound harsh, but I was completely addicted and I would have continued on buying them every couple of days. I know that it's really, really inconvenient for those who weren't addicted, and genuinely just buy them when they need them, but for others, it could mean the difference between a lifelong addiction and facing up to it. Sorry for rambling, just thought I'd share x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Guys this might be a teeny bit OT, but I just thought I'd share my story about Solpadeine while I have the balls to do so:

I started taking Solpadeine about 5 years ago, initally for migraine/period pain/back pain whatever pain I happened to have at the time. Up to last year, I was taking two in the morning for absolutely no reason, and as time went on, it gradually went from two in the morning to two in the morning, two in the afternoon, and two in the evening. And an extra two if i felt nervous, anxious, or annoyed. I'd even started to go to different chemists to get it. I knew it was ridiculous, and expensive, but I used to panic if i was running low on it. I hid the wrappers so that my other half wouldn't find them.

Then, last November, my son was rushed to hospital after a bad breathing attack. I had to stay with him in Mullingar for a week. I can honestly say, that I didn't think of the Solpadeine once after the first day - the first night, I had a banging headache, but I could hardly ask the Nurse for some Solpadeine, so I just drank lots of water and went to sleep. The worry of the whole situation surpassed the worry about the solpadeine, and I haven't bought them since.

I think that in one way, the new regulations are good, because they prevent people from doing long-term damage to their livers, and it makes them face up to the fact that they have a problem. I know it's very, very hard to beat any kind of addiction, but for those who find it hard - try a placebo. If you were taking two soluble tablets at a certain time, then try a glass of 7up or water at that same time - keep the routine, but cut the codeine out of it. That sounds so stupid, but anyone who can trick themself into thinking they have a headache just so that they can take painkillers is more than capable of tricking themself into thinking that they've just taken some.

I hope the chemists don't ease up, and that might sound harsh, but I was completely addicted and I would have continued on buying them every couple of days. I know that it's really, really inconvenient for those who weren't addicted, and genuinely just buy them when they need them, but for others, it could mean the difference between a lifelong addiction and facing up to it. Sorry for rambling, just thought I'd share x

We all have it in us to abuse drugs.

My question is why do the vast majority have to pay the price for the actions of the few.

It is not my fault that certain people became addicted.

Like with any other drug (Booze, Cigs etc) we are all adults and as such know the consequences of abuse. I should have the choice to get effective painkilling medication when needed, without having to go thru a doctor or some pharmacist and explain things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I was sold a box very easily at lunchtime for period pain, thankfully as paracetemol isn't worth a button for it.

Moonboy - you're right, of course you are. My problem was completely 100% my fault, I knew I was doing the wrong thing, and it's unfair that others will now be seriously inconvenienced because of people who abused the stuff like I did. I just wonder if it really is "the vast majority" who were using codeine-based products responsibly?

I can't really see pharmacists continuing this "line-up" procedure in chemists, and I do imagine it'll die down eventually - especially coming up to Christmas, could you imagine it happening then? Not likely. They'll be dishing them out again as normal. I just do think that it's a good kick up the bum for people who pretend that they don't have a problem with painkillers, and I don't mean that in a nasty, smartass way - I mean it in the way that it might finally make people look at what they're doing and come to terms with it.

My addicted wife is going up the walls, three chemist have refused, one demanding a prescription, one a doctor's note and after filling out a few forms was told she was taking too much so would not get any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

This will only create a black market for these kind of drugs in the long run.

moonboy52 wrote: »
    We all have it in us to abuse drugs.
    I should have the choice to get effective painkilling medication when needed, without having to go thru a doctor or some pharmacist and explain things.

No you shouldn't. The pharmacist/Doctor will decide what is the best medicine for you as they are trained to do so. You are not.

<Mod Snip: Please don't advise on medical issues>
    gbee wrote: »
    My addicted wife is going up the walls, three chemist have refused, one demanding a prescription, one a doctor's note and after filling out a few forms was told she was taking too much so would not get any.

Your wife is a drug addict and you give out about the fact that she is getting a hard time to get her fix because Pharmacists are acting in her best interest. Well done.

• Advertisement

Your wife is a drug addict and you give out about the fact that she is getting a hard time to get her fix because Pharmacists are acting in her best interest. Well done.

It's been discussed with my doctor many years ago. It was advised then that she stay on them, as coming off them is worse than off Heroine.

A search will produce a document where it is advised that all those addicted get a three week clinic and then go on Methadone ... but where is this treatment?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fair play to you for admitting and sharing that. IMHO more should have thanked you. I know a fair few in a similar situation as you were and a couple worse too. It's quite the hidden problem IMHO.
    It's been discussed with my doctor many years ago. It was advised then that she stay on them, as coming off them is worse than off Heroine.

A search will produce a document where it is advised that all those addicted get a three week clinic and then go on Methadone ... but where is this treatment?
    It depends on the dosage she's used to surely? I was on morphine in the past(broken jaw) for a week IIRC then onto a codiene based yoke Tylex(sp) for a month after. 30mgs of codeine with 500mgs of paracetamol IIRC. And it was pretty easy to come off that lot and I've an addictive personality. No methadone etc required. Now of course I was on that lot for just over a month so it hadnt gone long term, so that would obviously make a diff.

Actually maybe pharmacy types could explain this one? I was on those tylex things and while they took the edge off, I found when I got twinges again that solpadiene were more effective. Yet they have less codeine? I noticed they do have caffeine, is that what makes the diff? Or is it because they're soluable and hit the bloodstream in a bigger "rush" for want of a better word? I personally found in capsule form they did nada by comparison. Or am I just a freak? :D Does the addition of caffeine both increase the opioid effect and increase the possibility of addiction? I hear of far more people getting hooked on solpadeine than on nurafen plus and AFAIR the latter doesnt have caffeine in it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The caffeine is there to offset the drowsiness attributed to codeine as far as I remember. Not going to have much of an effect seeing as you're only getting 16mg and in your average run of the mill cup of tea there will be roughly 40mg.

Nurofen Plus would be the bigger seller in pharmacies than Solpadeine. I cannot anecdotally say whether this means more people are addicted to one or the other. There are bigger factors such as marketing at play.

Solpadeine would enter the blood stream more quickly. The drug is by and large already in solution by the time it is ingested. This is not the case with solid dosage forms e.g. Tylex, which must first be dissolved in the stomach before being absorbed. I could not say whether this is why you found the solpadeine to be more effective.

This is the principle by which panadol actifast works. It contains more disintegrants than normal panadol leading to a theoretically decreased dissolution time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Seriously a small amount of codeine worse than heroin, no chance. Treatment for all addictions is available from you local HSE methadone clinic. Few people who take solpadeine will need methadone, I worked with a good number of people taking codeine over the years, only ever had two people need methadone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I work in a chemist. I'm not a pharmacist, dispenser, technician or anything - i just do a few hours at weekends and late nights. I have the training to work on the counter but its a rarity that I have to as we are generally not that busy. Actually being a scientific person by nature I took an interest in this codeine craze when i first starting working there as it was obvious that there was something "special" bout these medicines.

Anyway my experiences from the last couple of weeks....

I explained to one woman (early thirties) how new regulations were due to come in for codeine products including Nurofen+ which she had just requested. Her jaw genuinely dropped when I told her it was because of the codeine, what it was and the amount of people who were abusing it. She changed her request to normal nurofen and thanked me for the advice.

The day before the regulations came in man jumped the counter (codeine products were still on display) in a chemist down the street from us, grabbed all the N+ he could get a legged it! In the same chemist a few weeks back a druggie spat in the face of a member of staff who refused to give him N+.

One man asked me was it legal that I could refuse to sell him solpodeine for his infrequent sinus problem. I said it was due to new regulation on the sale of codeine products and offer him an alternative (Sinutab or Otravine Nasel spray)..."you're a fcuking disgrace, Im going to dunnes to get them" Good luck to him :pac:

Yesterday evening a man dropped in a carrier bag full to the top with various solpodeine products that he had found in his house, hidden by his wife and asked us to destroy them. I believe when the pharmacist counted them there was in the region of 60 boxes.

By in large most stories are like the first one - they are generally surprised to hear the codeine can be harmful long term and switch to an alternative painkiller. Others get very aggressive, even when your explain that a codeine painkiller wouldn't really have been the correct course of action in the first place for their problem (like sinus guy above). I dont think the chemists will ease up like one poster described. People will just get used to it not being available and switch.

Meanwhile the fun continues :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Nappy state.

A few years ago Magic Mushrooms were banned as someone was at a party and the DJ was playing "I believe I can fly" as he leaped from an apartment in Dun laoghaire

The head shops were recently banned.

Then to stop the big celtic party bingle FF helped us pour billions into the banks to empty our pockets, and our childerens pockets and their childerens childerens pockets and .................

If there is one lesson to be learned from all this, if you believe you can fly, try taking off from ground level flapping your arms/wings, dont be a glider type flyer on your first journey ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

worded wrote: »
    Nappy state.

A few years ago Magic Mushrooms were banned as someone was at a party and the DJ was playing "I believe I can fly" as he leaped from an apartment in Dun laoghaire

The head shops were recently banned.

Then to stop the big celtic party bingle FF helped us pour billions into the banks to empty our pockets, and our childerens pockets and their childerens childerens pockets and .................

If there is one lesson to be learned from all this, if you believe you can fly, try taking off from ground level flapping your arms/wings, dont be a glider type flyer on your first journey ....

Why are you comparing recreational highs to pain relief? You seem to have a very wrong idea of the purpose of these medications.

Also, as much as I hate FF, what has NAMA got to do with any of these new codeine regulations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Vladidim

In that case get it on prescription. Your wife has a serious addiction problem and taking codeine for this purpose is against the over the counter licence. Also I'd suggest you get a second opinion if the best treatment your doctor came up was for her to stay on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

sesna wrote: »
    Why are you comparing recreational highs to pain relief? You seem to have a very wrong idea of the purpose of these medications.

Also, as much as I hate FF, what has NAMA got to do with any of these new codeine regulations?

Well, you know, rabbits, tennis, you know that whole connection there Ted.

• Advertisement

Vladidim wrote: »
    In that case get it on prescription. Your wife has a serious addiction problem and taking codeine for this purpose is against the over the counter licence. Also I'd suggest you get a second opinion if the best treatment your doctor came up was for her to stay on them.

I completely agree with this post. I'd also advise changing your doctor, because any doctor that advises a codeine addict to "keep taking it" should be struck off IMHO. It's completely irresponsible. You should be supporting your wife to decrease her dosage gradually, to eventually come off the tablets - and I do NOT believe that someone who is addicted to nurofen + or solpadeine will have to go on a methadone programme, that's ludicrous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement