Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do you rate the Nikon D200?

• 17-07-2010 2:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

I'm currently a Sony dslr user, but since my cam suffered a knock - I've been thinking on a move to Nikon. I can't afford what i'd really like [a D90] so I've been on the prowl for the likes of the D60. But lately I've spotted a few D200's for sale, used. Some of them at attractive prices too. But I'd have to sell a couple of lenses to pay for it, therefore I could be left with a D200 body and no lens for a bit [might be able to borrow a lens or two, this would help sway my decision]

Anyone here used a D200? Better than a D60? [besides the obvious much better build] How does it compare to the likes of the D80 or even the mighty D90?

Is it easy find cheap used nikon lenses? Like a 50mm, and wide angle.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The OH shoots with one all the time, and they're bloody good! Getting a little long in the tooth now, which is why more and more are coming up for sale, and they aren't as good in low light or high iso as the D90, but considering the cost difference (I think I've seem them as low as 300 or 400 euro I wouldn't have a problem reccommending them (though I'm sure someone will come along and totally disagree with me shortly!)

Second hand glass is fairly available, just keep an eye on adverts, berminghams and conns, though the nifty 50's don't tend to come up that often as they're cheap as chips and great lenses!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I have a Sony a700 and recently had the opportunity of buying a Nikon D200, an offer I couldnt refuse!! I would put it on a par with the a700, if you can find one reasonable I would go for it, they seem to be quite popular still.

Oh and by the way there is no such thing as a cheap Nikon lense :) but you will pick up older manual focus lenses for a decent price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I love my D200, which I picked up on adverts from smelltheglove last year. It's been a flawless performer so far. High ISO performance isn't great, but this never really effects me. I've rarely put it past 400 and it spends most of it's time at 200.
    I intend on getting a D300s at some stage in the next few months, but I'll be hanging onto the D200. It's a workhorse I wouldn't be without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Would you say it's much better than say, a D60 or D80? In terms of IQ/speed/control

Would you say it's much better than say, a D60 or D80? In terms of IQ/speed/control

I would... in order of preference I'd get a D300, a D90, a D200, then after that anything like the D60/D80 (though as I have a D50 I'd not bother with a 60 or 80)

• Advertisement

Cheers ;)

It sounds like the kind of cam I want, Tough, weather resistant and good IQ. I'll have to check and see can I borrow a lens or two before deciding, and also, try sell some gear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I have a D60 also, which is my long suffering choice for something to throw into a backpack with a 50 1.8 when going somewhere I wouldn't risk my D200. It's pretty rugged, as it's proved, but nowhere near the quality or robustness of the D200/300 or D80/90. It also feels quite small in the hand, though that could be just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

D200 is very similar to a D80 in most ways. Sensor is similar, ditto IQ. Very good at lower iso (up to 400 or so), after that gets a bit noisy. D200 has a more rugged chassis and better weather sealing, as well some easier access ro functions. Probably more fps, but you can check that out yourself. Otherwise they are nearly the same camera. Unlike some of the newer Nikon entry models, will auto-focus with both older and newer lenses. D200 feels a little heavier and chunkier, but D80 handles nice too. Either are a good choice.
    D60 I think is restricted on which lenses it will auto focus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think one difference between the D200 and D80 (certainly is a difference between the D300 and D90) is the ability to handle some of the old non-electronic lenses - dunno if that will be of any benefit to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

I shot with a D200 for about a year before moving to the D3. The D80 is the D200's little brother. Same tech, same sensor just slightly newer body design. It's still a generation behind the likes of the D40 and D60 at higher ISO. I wouldnt really push the D200 past 800 ISO. It gets very pasty, grainy and the colour rendition isn't the greatest, as with any camera from that era. They are well built and easy to use.

At the time I used the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8 macro (version 1) on it and it was an amazing lens. sharp, fast focus, REALLY close focusing ability (to few inches) and I I used the Nikon 10.5mm fisheye along with the Sigma 50-150mm 2.8 lens as well. Some of the best lenses I've used on a crop sensor. I sold mine about 2.5 years ago for €900 with about 14k shutter actuations on it. I've no idea what they are going for these days.

• Advertisement

Cheers for all that, good to hear from users of that cam, rather than just going by random site reviews around the net.

The high ISO wouldn't be a problem as I never go beyond 400, very rarely use 800. The heavy body appeals to me, and the weather proofing.

I'm in a predicament really as I'd have to sell my current lenses first off. And some people advise I might be better get something like an A550 body, which is a step up from my A200 - better sensor, live view [apparently sony's live view implementation is the best yet on dslrs] tilting screen, the extra mp count etc ... but the cheapest I've seen them- body only - are from Hong Kong [added shipping costs] - but i'd still have my lenses.

Food for thought. I think in the long run I'd be better off with a Nikon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

megapixels should be bottom on the list of reasons to change.

megapixels should be bottom on the list of reasons to change.

It is, I just threw in some upgrades from the A200 - A550. The A350 also has 14mp, but I hear it doesn't handle them very well.

I read only other day somewhere, that most lower end sensors are pretty much maxed out at 10mp - anything extra puts unnecessary strain on them, it's merely a gimmick. Some of my Flickr contacts are taking stunning pictures with 6mp cams ;) I'm not a pixel-whore.

Robustness, speed and decent IQ is what I look for. And a bit of weightiness to the body. Built like a tank :D that's why I love the A200, it's nice and big and bulky. feels pretty solid - though obviously still all plastic.

If you switch to Nikon, the range of lenses available both new and 2nd hand is immense. The D200 is the baby brother to the Nikon D2x really. At the time, I wanted a D2x and couldnt afford one. The D200 came out and it seemed like 90% the camera the D2x was for 1/3 of the price. It made perfect sense to me.

MP doesn't mean much to me. I went from a 10MP odd camera with the D200 to a 12MP odd camera on the D3.

I bought a Nikon D1 from 1998 that cant really work over 400 ISO and only has 2.74MP and got great results using a cheap 50mm 1.8 lens with it here

Dont worry about MP. It's a good camera if you get it for a decent price.

I'd have agreed sale on it already only the money I was waiting on hasn't come through yet, typical ... grrrr. Another one I'll miss out on. I'll be keeping an eye out for more of them if I miss this one though. Prices are dropping big time.

a D80 will be cheaper and produce the same IQ in a smaller, less robust body. It might be the smarter buy. the D80 will also have probably bottomed out with its depreciation levels so if you go to sell it on you wont lose as much as the D200? There are plenty of cameras around so keep looking.

Found out I'll have the funds this week, and have put in an offer. I put an offer on a D80 also but the seller hasn't gotten back in 2 days ... you wonder sometimes how hard they want to sell! When I've an ad up I'm checking it all the time, sold a couple of things through adverts to date.

Also put an offer on a 50mm. If they flop, as you say, there will be more pop up. But my heart and mind are set on a Nikon now, it's what I originally wanted. And the Sony failing has pushed me back that way.

50mm 1.8 Nikor is awesome lens. My housemate just bought one in the flesh today for £109.

Sadly, mine got stolen in a burglary 6 months ago. I think I paid €85 new for it (shippped from NY to San Fran to a friend from Leeds who shipped it from Leeds).

My 2nd Body is a D70s which I get amazing images from. I'm usually happier with my D70s images than my D3 because its more of a challenge. The D80 and D200 are a step ahead of the D70/s.

I've seen many D70/s models out there in the used market alright. They go a bit cheaper than the D60. I've no problem buying a D80/200 once I can of course get a lens too. if I put my minolta 50mm up for sale it'll only be if I can get similar for the Nikon. Love a nifty i do :) I can worry about zooms/wides later.

The Nikon 50mm I'm looking at is up for €80, seems a bit of a steal at that? Is it an older version? I've offered asking first after 2 lesser bids, so should be mine. [hope it's not you old one!!!]

Is there any common fault I should watch out for on older Nikons? Like on Sonys, the SSS [super-steady-shot/Body IS] is notorious for going bust, just like mine did. And you wouldn't know unless you knew where to look for the fault [the wee hand shaking symbol blinking in the VF when it's switched on]

The D70/s has/is renowned for having some mirror problems (sticking occasionally). The D80 is as far as I know, doesn't have any major issues. The D200 as far as I know doesn't haven any major issues either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

What is the going rate for a perfect D200 ??

The one I'm looking at was offered to me at €380, body only. I'd have to hunt a cheap lens [50mm f/1.8 most likely] to get going on it and would then save on the side for nice glass.

I'm still awaiting the seller to get back to me, I've been offered a D60 - but the more I read on those the more I don't really want one. Though it does come with a VR lens for €325, the actuations are 20k - how long is the life span of a D60? Searching around 50k seems to be the spot. In that case I want one with a lower clock count.

I've made an offer for a D80 too, again, awaiting the seller's response. i'd be happy with that one if I can get it below €300 for the body. From reading in here it seems the D80 is almost as good as a D200, just not so tough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I'm using a D80 as a backup body to my D300 and am very happy with it. Go with the D80 for now and start saving for the D300 at a later date would be my advice.

if you can find a s/h one, the 35mm f1.8 is great; i paid €210 new in gunns for one recently.

is that AF or MF?

AF-S, so also works on the non-motorised bodies (the D40 and upwards); it's DX only.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/35mm-f18.htm

Is that the G one? £170 on amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-AF-S-DX-35mm-f1-8G/dp/B001S2PPT0

Bookmarked that page! Would definitely be on my list once I get a Nikon. Think I have my minotla 50mm sold so once that's gone It's a go to Nikon. Only lens I love on the Sony.

Anyone looking to off a cheap Nikon lens in Dublin this week?

Anyone looking to off a cheap Nikon lens in Dublin this week?

I have a non VR 18-55 3.5-5.4 (the old kit lens from the D50) you could borrow for a couple of weeks if you want

• Advertisement

Is that the G one?
    yep; here's one of the first shots i got on it.
    http://stroma.org/kevin/Picture009.jpg

I have a non VR 18-55 3.5-5.4 (the old kit lens from the D50) you could borrow for a couple of weeks if you want

That would be excellent as I might be meeting to view the D200 in Dub this week, all going well. Hard to try it with no lens. I have a guy coming to take my 50mm hopefully and that will go towards buying similar for the Nikon.

Nice clarity in that Magic, will have to check out ebay for used ones maybe

That would be excellent as I might be meeting to view the D200 in Dub this week, all going well. Hard to try it with no lens. I have a guy coming to take my 50mm hopefully and that will go towards buying similar for the Nikon.

Nice clarity in that Magic, will have to check out ebay for used ones maybe

No hassle, just drop me a PM when/if you need it. Am around the City Centre so should be easy to drop it up to you

I'll know for definite in the morning, all going well i should be heading up there weds/thurs morning, if you could meet that'd be brilliant. Not selling it are you? There one for sale on adverts, it's actually Popebuckfast[?] selling it but he's in Galway - made an offer on it, wasn't sure what it's worth. If i get to test yours will give me a good indication :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Although I prefer the d300 I still use the d200 weekly. It's a great camera, easy to handle. I had 2 at one stage and only let one go to upgrade, I kept my older one for sentimental reasons. As said iso isn't great but having had the d40 before it defo is better than that, although you mist likely won't be relying on high iso too much anyway. Lenses can be expensive but they won't need to be replaced unless you are rough with them.

Also you can hook your light up to it;)

Although I prefer the d300 I still use the d200 weekly. It's a great camera, easy to handle. I had 2 at one stage and only let one go to upgrade, I kept my older one for sentimental reasons. As said iso isn't great but having had the d40 before it defo is better than that, although you mist likely won't be relying on high iso too much anyway. Lenses can be expensive but they won't need to be replaced unless you are rough with them.

It'd be brill if the light works with it!! Bonus! :) Hate seeing it go to waste here.

• Advertisement

I'll know for definite in the morning, all going well i should be heading up there weds/thurs morning, if you could meet that'd be brilliant. Not selling it are you? There one for sale on adverts, it's actually Popebuckfast[?] selling it but he's in Galway - made an offer on it, wasn't sure what it's worth. If i get to test yours will give me a good indication :)

I will be selling it along with a D50 body in a couple of months (when the D90 replacement is announced), but not on it's own I'm afraid.

I'd say 100 would be not a bad price for it, you can get the VR version for 120ish on adverts every now and then -they come up all the time as they're kit lenses that most folk get with a camera and then sell to upgrade

Minolta 50mm was picked up by buyer this morn, no problem, he tried it out and took some shots of his daughter, was impressed and left with it. He's since left some positive feedback, all good.

Meeting the D200 seller in the morning, all going well i'll have a new toy to play with tomorrow lunch time. Thanks a mill to Tinyexplosions who is loaning me a lens to get started. Top man :)

Fingers crossed this goes well! I need some good luck with equipment for a change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Minolta 50mm was picked up by buyer this morn, no problem, he tried it out and took some shots of his daughter, was impressed and left with it. He's since left some positive feedback, all good.

Meeting the D200 seller in the morning, all going well i'll have a new toy to play with tomorrow lunch time. Thanks a mill to Tinyexplosions who is loaning me a lens to get started. Top man :)

Fingers crossed this goes well! I need some good luck with equipment for a change!

Are you selling anything else interesting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭dryadssaddle

you test it on it's features and performance and give it a mark out of ten.

Lucywu2012 wrote: »
    ER... I'am sorry, I can'y really catch it!:)

Eh?

I'm selling a Sony 18-70mm, a slightly busted Sigma 70-300 [Alpha/minolta mount] and a slightly busted A200 body :D lenses are up as a duo on adverts.

I think I'll need a week or so to give the D200 a good work out before rating it :) There's a lot more knobs and buttons on her than my humble A200.

• Advertisement

That sentance is not inspiring me with confidence now.... :eek:
    :D

That sentance is not inspiring me with confidence now.... :eek:

Ha, nah, your lens is safe. It's just the last zoom I bought for the Sony the AF gears stripped on it on camera, not my doing. Apparently common with the sigma 70-300.

Thanks a mill for meeting me with th lens. Sound as a pound ;)

Bought the D200, very nice woman the seller was, very friendly. Found out she's only selling because she's moving to another country. The camera is in tip-top condition, everything seems to be fine with it. I had a good play around with it on the bus, it's very different to what I was used to - but in a very good way. No more scrolling through menus to change simple settings, can do most things via controls on the body itself. really well built, heavy but feels very tough. Can see this lasting a long time. Happy so far :)

This one will stay in Manual most of the time I reckon, it's just so nice to use the controls outside the LCD - only really need that for playback and for a few tweaks sharpness/contrast/vibrance etc ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Bought the D200

Congrats... you're now an official Canikon. You can now officially harp on about your gear :D

I'll scratch the brand name off of it!!

Make doesn't interest me, but it is a bit of a beast. Won't get too excited though until I have a 50mm prime and something wider.

or you could do what I do with some duct tape....

D3.jpg

you tape up your camera and take it to bed with you?
    i think you're in the wrong forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

you tape up your camera and take it to bed with you?
    i think you're in the wrong forum.

On second thoughts ...

Just encountered the NEF file ... crap. What RAW setting should I use, these files won't open on my pc, they don't even show in the RAW viewer I have on it.

Tried it tonight, was wrecking my head for a while, new to this manual flash shenanigans! But figured it out - repeat flash, without the cable [flash popped up but turned down - works a treat :) Nice one. Lots of experimenting ahead. Thanks a lot for that light once again. Finally it shall not go to waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Just encountered the NEF file ... crap. What RAW setting should I use, these files won't open on my pc, they don't even show in the RAW viewer I have on it.

I use bibble light to process my raws.

• Advertisement
Advertisement