Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Embassy you have ever been to in Dublin?

Options
  • 17-07-2010 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,372 ✭✭✭✭

Worst Embassy you have ever been to in Dublin? depending on your definition of "worst" of course. I'll start with the German Embassy in Booterstown. My son is entitled to a German passport so we get an appointment to call in to submit the documents (itself over egged compared to getting an Irish one). Anyway appointment for 8.30, arrive 8.25 and pleasant porter at the gate says ok you can go in at 8.30. meanwhile another person comes behind us and has an appointment for 8.45 so the porter says "come back at 8.45".
    so in we go and the passport section is a small building sperate from the main one. The next "friendly" feature of the place is that all the coversation has to happen though bullet proof glass and a loudspeaker. Then to cap it off the clerk asked my 5 year old son to sign the bottom of the form :eek:
    Ok it was efficient in its own way but very "cold". Also if anyone knows the "compound" it wouldnt look out of place in downtown Lagos.
    Anyway thats it, midly strange experience and hope I dont have to go ack there too often.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

silverharp wrote: »
    Then to cap it off the clerk asked my 5 year old son to sign the bottom of the form :eek:
    Nothing strange about that. An Irish application for a child also requires them to sign their name when they can.
    Please note – Signature - If the child is able to sign his/her signature on the application form they should do so in the signature box on the left hand side of Section 8 of the application form. If the child is unable to sign, this signature box should be left blank. In such cases, a parent/guardian should sign on the white strip at Section 8 in the presence of the Garda (or other person) who witnesses the application

Back on topic the visa section of the Chinese embassy off Merrion Road is just an old conservatory in the back of the house. Not the most attractive of places but functional and at the end of the day thats the more important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I dunno what you expected. A cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

This needs some good AH posts for it to go anywhere

Edit: Too late :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Nothing you describe seems out of the ordinary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The Ecuador embassy in Dun Laoghaire is literally just a flat, it just looks iridiculous. Never had any reason to go inside though :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

My friend was renewing a visa for the states last time she was home (with her American boyfriend). So they go to the US Embassy in Ballsbridge and have to pass through security. Unbeknownst to her, the boyfriend was going to propose to her that evening and had the ring in a box in his pocket. Despite every effort towards subtlety, the security guard made an issue of him opening the box in in front of everyone and thereby running the surprise.

To quote the lad (an American himself) "GO USA, wahoo!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

OP, your experience sounds entirely normal and acceptable. I wouldn't be complaining about it at all to be quite honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

silverharp wrote: »
    Ok it was efficient in its own way but very "cold".

the Germans cold & efficient :eek: well i never

Advertisement