Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 guys asked to leave Dundrum shopping centre for kissing

Options
  • 17-07-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭

from Facebook:
    OpenFM wrote:
    two of OpenFM Crew, Russell James Alford and Warren Joyce were asked by security to leave the Dundrum Shopping centre yesterday for kissing in public. 'Their reason? Young kids walking around. RJ asked "would it of made a difference if he was a girl?" I was told it's "policy".'

Discussion going on here at Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=298667494024&share_id=119954748050068&comments=1#s119954748050068

Ironically, Dundrum are also highlighting and sending 'MASSIVE' congratulations to a (heterosexual) couple who got engaged in the centre yesterday. Were they stopped from kissing too?

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=143277055689444&id=123967997530

I'm ****ing livid tbh.

EDIT::: this might have been blown out of proportion :). Facebook discussion linked above has been removed and latest I've read suggests they were asked to move from one perticular area, as is policy for any couple.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Cant see the problem tbh.

I am bisexual and, although I am currently in a heterosexual relationship, if I was in a homosexual relationship I wouldnt overtly engage in PDA. No need to rub peoples nose in it imo. Especially if theres kids around etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I'm hetero and am pretty shocked both at the attidtude of Dundrum, and the above post. How exactly is it rubbing other peoples' noses in it to express your affection for your partner, whether you are gay or straight or bi-sexual? And as for the kiddies, a gay kiss isn't some sordid, overly explicit affair, so what exactly is the problem? Do two men kiss and differently than a man and a woman? Are we to believe that gays are equal in modern Ireland, but as long as they keep it to themselves, and only express their sexuality indoors? I thought Don't Ask/Don't Tell was an American military policy, but it seems as if it's alive and well in Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Cant see the problem tbh.

I am bisexual and, although I am currently in a heterosexual relationship, if I was in a homosexual relationship I wouldnt overtly engage in PDA. No need to rub peoples nose in it imo. Especially if theres kids around etc.

Seriously? You wouldn't kiss your boyfriend the same way you might kiss your girlfriend?

Seriously??

Shocking attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Goodshape wrote: »
    Seriously? You wouldn't kiss your boyfriend the same way you might kiss your girlfriend?

Seriously??

Shocking attitude.
    Well i used to live "down the country", and have to say I wouldnt, no. You just cant do that in some places.

Also, while obviously consenting adults can do what they want in bars and behind closed doors etc, I dont think its right to expose children to that.

You're obviously entitled to make that personal choice but security staff enforcing this as a policy is plain-as-day discrimination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Also, while obviously consenting adults can do what they want in bars and behind closed doors etc, I dont think its right to expose children to that.

Expose them to what? You can't swing a cat in a public place without hitting a straight couple holding hands or showing that they're obviously a couple. Straight couples kiss in public all the time and nobody bats an eyelid unless they're wearing the faces off each other. Why are gay couples any different?

The existence of same sex couples isn't some shocking secret that kids need to be protected from, it's just reality. They might as well see it in public, then they'll know it's just a normal part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I've just been reading queerid reports on this particular case and what actually happened is being disputed or may not be as clear as is stated by openfm on their facebook/twitter accounts - we are all hearing 3rd count reports of what may or may not have happened so its really not a good idea to discuss the details of the particular incident

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I've just been reading queerid reports on this particular case and what actually happened is being disputed or may not be as clear as is stated by openfm on their facebook/twitter accounts - we are all hearing 3rd count reports of what may or may not have happened so its really not a good idea to discuss the details of the particular incident

Yeah, just reading that myself. Edited my OP to mention it.

Rage.. subsiding...

Nothing like the internet for spreading a story!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thread locked based on the statements below
    OpenFM wrote:
    The earlier posted was removed as we felt we needed to clarify the facts on the matter.

Warren has being in contact with the management of Dundrum and an apology has being given for the communication error between security and himself. Dundrum welcomes everybody and this was just a major misunderstanding. Warren would like to apologise for letting this personal issue upset the community
    On Saturday 17th July 2010, @DundrumTC said:

On Friday 16th July one of our security officers observed a couple being intimate on the mall in Dundrum Town Centre.

The security officer approached the couple and asked them if they could oblige by not being so intimate in a public area particularly as there were quite a number of children in the vicinity and Dundrum Town Centre is a family environment.

When they were approached, it was then that the security officer noticed that the couple happened to be of the same sex.

In the past Dundrum Town Centre has on occasions received complaints from parents where they believed couples were being intimate in view of their children.

In this particular instance the couple were asked to refrain from being intimate in the public area but were advised that they would be welcome to avail of the open public spaces but were respectfully requested to be mindful of any children in the vicinity.

Following discussion with the security officer the couple approached the Customer Service Desk, once the Duty Manager explained to the couple the centre’s concerns the couple acknowledged Dundrum Town Centre’s position.

Dundrum Town Centre welcomes all visitors to its facility, nationality, creed or any other factor do not influence Dundrum Town Centre whatsoever and we continue to welcome all visitors to the Centre.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement