Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to replace all plants / soil - where do i start

Options
  • 17-07-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

Hi

I have a raised area in my garden, surrounded by sleepers. Its full of old plants / shrubs and weeds (no flowers). I want to replace it all with new plants.

How do I go about this. I know I will have to dig up all the old plants and roots, what is next - do I fill it with some sort of compost or topsoil and then plant new shrubs? Then top off the soil with mulching or something?

Any tips or ideas most welcome

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hi

I have a raised area in my garden, surrounded by sleepers. Its full of old plants / shrubs and weeds (no flowers). I want to replace it all with new plants.

How do I go about this. I know I will have to dig up all the old plants and roots, what is next - do I fill it with some sort of compost or topsoil and then plant new shrubs? Then top off the soil with mulching or something?

Any tips or ideas most welcome

Thanks
    dig up and pull out what you can, then put in a bit of compost or topsoil, then cover with that black sheeting that excludes light and liave in water so no weeds will grow, cut slits in this and insert new plants, when finished planting, spread either pebbles which is preferable to bark in my case, it will be low maintenance and the plants will grow fast as they will be snug and warm with the pebbles obsorbing the heat from sun and keeping it warm, your plants will cover the area within two yrs, that is the easiest and least costly way i can think of, as you will not have to remove earth from site just enrich what you have
    good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 music.babe75

Thanks a mill, doesn't sound too bad!!!

When is the best time to start this??? Should I start now or wait till spring next year??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Thanks a mill, doesn't sound too bad!!!

When is the best time to start this??? Should I start now or wait till spring next year??
    e
    if you do this within the next two weeks, and get the new plants in, they will be established before the bad weather,
    doing it in springtime, you may not get the weather good enough, also you would get plants on the cheap this time of year, as the centres are trying to get rid of the stock on some, as they know the season is getting late, also you can get the bags of compost in lidl at 1.99 each for a good sized bag, also some 2 euro shops sell the black sheeting far cheaper than the garden centres, these things will be easy get right now, start immediatly, alos when you have new plants in, if weather is dry, give them a spray of water in the evenings so they will do great

Advertisement