Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mixing tyre brands (or even models)

• 17-07-2010 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a Hyosung GV250 - beautiful bike, really happy with it except one thing.

The stock tyres are awful in the wet, fairly typical for OEM far east tyres (Shinko). They'll probably last for years, but no good in wet 'oul Ireland.

Problem is there is nobody* making a matching 110/90-16 front, 150/80-15 rear set of tyres. Dunlop come close, but the front is TT (tube type) so no good on my rims.

(*Heidenau do, tricky to find though.)

Is there really an issue if I use two different makes of tyre front and rear?

They wouldn't be totally different, i.e. both soft rain tyres.
    Say a Dunlop rear with a Metzler front.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Here's a site with the same question.... and an answer:
    http://www.ukwheels.com/faq.asp?catagory=TYRES

It is usually a good idea to keep the tyres the same make. But would 2 different makes affect an insurance payout if you were to claim against another driver? Perhaps an insurance assessor/company would be best to ask...perhaps one will read your question and give a definitive answer, as I have no legal knowledge in this subject.....in fact I have no legal knowledge in anything!!...before someone asks! :o:o:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Might be worth the long term investment of a new set of wheels of more conventional sizes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

This is a link to a PDF file which should answer your queries-
    http://www.tyresafe.org/data/files/TS149%20Motorcycle%2012p%20Leaflet.pdf
    I reckon it covers all the bases, from time to time I have mixed and matched tyres from different manufacturers but ALWAYS of the same type i.e. Radial and size and rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Thanks all.

I've done a lot of reading up on it.

The gist of it seems that mixing can lead to variable results.
    They could be better than matched set, or they could be worse, a matched set is more likely to work well together.

I think if I matched the tyre type (radial, ply bias etc) and the compound (soft high silica etc) then it should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭judas1369

Yeah, as I said the key thing is to ensure the thread pattern type is the same - radial with radial, cross ply with cross ply etc.
    Years ago I had the dubious privilege of getting a go on a mates bike (Honda 250 n yeah I know showing my age!) with mixed tyres... lets just say it was entertaining going around corners!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

In the last year I've started mixing tyres with no adverse effects. I think it's recommended to have the same make front and rear but I've never had any issues, wet or dry.

Advertisement