Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reiki for healing

• 17-07-2010 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

For last while i have been going to a reiki thearphist in order to heal myself from a mental illness. Last week I had a Reiki 1 attunment and have started healing myself and my family. Sometimes i have doubts, I feel i will never be healed and am wasting my money.

I was wondering does anyone want to shate any of their experience with reiki or other similar healing energies. Have you heard of anyone been cured? Is their andy recouses such as a reiki circle (around galway mayo) in the west of Ireland or a forum you'd recomend.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,239 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

blackie100 wrote: »
    For last while i have been going to a reiki thearphist in order to heal myself from a mental illness. Last week I had a Reiki 1 attunment and have started healing myself and my family. Sometimes i have doubts, I feel i will never be healed and am wasting my money.

I was wondering does anyone want to shate any of their experience with reiki or other similar healing energies. Have you heard of anyone been cured? Is their andy recouses such as a reiki circle (around galway mayo) in the west of Ireland or a forum you'd recomend.
    Thanks in advance.
    Blackie100, Reiki has never been shown to be an effective treatment for any illness, mental or otherwise in a well conducted test that excludes the possibilities of fraud or psychological effects.

You should not solely rely on a reiki therapist for mental health advice as unless they are also a mental health professional, they are neither qualified or licensed.

If you wish to seek treatment for a mental condition seek out a mental health professional who is both qualified and who you are comfortable with.
    And in addition to this and if you feel you're getting a benefit continue with the reiki at a pace you feel is appropriate.

But deferring to a unqualified reiki therapist instead of proper treatment is a very, very bad idea for any kind of condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Reiki is a complementary therapy, and is not supposed to replace other types of therapy - whether that be a therapist, doctor etc. I have trained in reiki, and have had excellent experiences with it, however I would still use it as a complementary therapy, rather than a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 blackie100

Thanks for replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Reiki is a complementary therapy, and is not supposed to replace other types of therapy - whether that be a therapist, doctor etc. I have trained in reiki, and have had excellent experiences with it, however I would still use it as a complementary therapy, rather than a replacement.
    +1
    I would never treat or attune someone who uses it as a replacement. Can I ask the name of your teacher? Is he or she aware of your illness?

Also, when you say things like
    started healing myself and my family
    you make anyone with a belief in Reiki sound like they expect full and utter healing.

Reiki should be used to help you on your own path to feeling better, it cannot be expected to heal everything.

To be perfectly honest, the concept and results of Reiki sounds as though they were not explained properly to you. One of the very very first things I was thought was that Reiki should never be used as an alternative.

I have seen people use Reiki to help them get off antidepressants, always under supervision from their GP and at a time the GP felt as though they could handle it. It can be used with great results but you really need to use it carefully and get whatever professional help you need.

A RMT can be a spiritual sounding board, sometimes an advisor, but your problem is a mental illness and a RMT is not qualified to deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nevermind123

hi, im also interested in reiki and healing maybe even becoming a reiki master :)? i don't know much about it but it appeals me. I will be going to this seminar about healing with a reiki lady reiki healing sounds maybe of interest ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭hillviewfarm

Reiki 1

I live in East Cork and am interested in doing a Reiki 1 course. Anyone recommend someone down this side who teaches same.
    I don't mind travelling a bit but not huge distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AngelLight

I am a qualified Reiki Master for several years in the Cork City area and use Reiki as an accompanying therapy as I strongly believe people need to make their GP's aware that they are also using alternative healing alongside whatever their doctor has prescribed for them. Some doctors are very happy for people to use other healing alternatives. Mental health issues need to be handled by a mental health professional and many Reiki Masters will not attune someone with a mental health issue unless they are recieving treatment from their GP. Reiki is a wonderful tool to assist the person's immune system in healing the body itself through deep relaxation and if you are sensitive you can feel the energy as it moves through the body. It is often a stepping stone to other healing modalities too and is a self empowering process. Yes you can use it for your family members and friends but using it for yourself after attunement 1 is vital and many Reiki Masters will tell you to use it on yourself only for the first month before attempting to use it on your loved ones. It is not a heal all therapy and many people seem to think this or get this impression. It is simply a tool to assist you on your healing path alongside other traditional means. Never use Reiki without first attending your doctor in case you have an illness that requires a proper medical diagnoses. Other than that enjoy using this wonderful tool and enjoy your journey.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Roger Buck

Thanks in advance.

I have both had Reiki and become a first degree Reiki initiate. In my youth, I found it helpful. When I lived at Findhorn in Scotland, I gave Reiki to people on a non-professional basis and people told me they sometimes felt immediately better (headaches, knee pain, things like that)

As the years by, I changed. But not before I tried a lot of acupuncture, Alexander technique and psychotherapy ...

I left Findhorn and New Age spirituality behind and converted to Catholicism.

In terms of other "healing energies" I find that for me nothing, nothing, nothing compares to the power of the Sacraments of regular confession and daily Mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Irishrebelsc

Thanks in advance.

Although I am familiar with the name. I am not familiar with the methodology the concept, the therapy method of it. What exactly is it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

if you believe in it it will work if you don't it will not

I don't believe in it myself

try acupuncture

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120903/entlife/709039967/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭James DD

My own personal take on Reiki and the Therapist, if you are offended by this it is my experience and may not refer to you
    I have just received my degree 2 by a complete chancer but who is regarded by the Reiki circle as some what of the bees knees( I am not stating here who more cop than that ) or maybe she is even making that up, Peed off would be an understatement :mad::mad::mad:
    number one she charged to much 500 euros when infact I found out later the other therapist charge 250 to 300 she then said she is the most important Reike master in Cork as she is from a very important line as she kept saying the word linage like a mantra and that there are only one in the country like her, found out while I was there that is not the case spoke with someone who got her Master before her Liar liar oh and she said the Reiki master cost 10,000 American dollars and it takes years to train hmmm very interesting sounds like to me she only wants to be the only one so she can have the whole pie to herself, like I am a think .
    then I was pretty ill with infection while I was training this particular infection can get very bad and cause other complications so while I was with her I got antibiotics well she nearly hit the roof holy cow, she was raging about that as if I deceived her in some way and told me she was never in hospital when infact over the time spent with her she nearly had every operation going headbannger preaching how we should never go to doctors etc . my infection never cleared up while she was giving me my swap treatments or while her friend swapped distance healing that lady said I suffered from neck problems and I have near infact its about the only thing not wrong with me :)
    another thing she panned out the training for so long it was heart breaking to have to head to Douglas and listen to her go on and on like you left your brains out at the door.
    this whole experience has made me very unsure of this whole treatment

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭James DD

if you believe in it it will work if you don't it will not

I don't believe in it myself

try acupuncture

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20120903/entlife/709039967/

yes I totally agree but again try and get a person who trained in China

Advertisement