Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a bed for arthritic dog

Options
  • 17-07-2010 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

My shih-tzu has arthritis. She has a normal dog bed with 2 extra cushions on it, but I don't think it's that comfortable for her any more. I hear that these memory foam dog beds are meant to be good for arthritic pets, but all of the ones advertised on the internet are only about 3 inches thick, that doesn't seem that good. Has anyone tried this memory foam stuff or have any other recommendations about a suitable bed? Something inexpensive, as I will have to buy two otherwise my other dog will take the good bed and leave the shih-tzu on the worst one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Vet bed, trust me it's worth the money.
    It's actually not too dear really I have vet bed here that's still going strong after 4 or 5 years or washing and being neglected on the line over winter etc.

It's soft, washable, dries quickly and very comfortable.

I got the non-slip one recently which is great, when the dog gets out of the bed it stays where it is. I tried it out, put the old vet bed with the green backing in one dog bed and put the new pink vet bed with the non-slip backing in the other bed and the dogs are in and out of them all the time.
    The pink non-slip stayed put and so does the dog bed itself and the grey one moved along with the bed itself.

This site is one of the cheapest places I've found it.

The senior gold is expecially for older dogs and dogs suffering from arthritis here's the link
    http://www.bronteglen.ie/bronteglenDetail.asp?cat=2&subCat=27&prod=113&name=Senior Gold 7+ © - Wheat

For that size dog you only need a small bit and if you can buy two that means you can have one in the wash and the other in the bed.

€13.50 isn't bad either considering it will last a dogs lifetime.

Ok it's a dogs blanket bascially and not a bed that they climb in to but it can be placed directly on the floor even or in a plastic bed or wicker bed etc. It's so warm in could even be placed on a hard concrete surface..not that you would of course but that's how comfy it it.

My dogs love their vet bed it's one of the best things I've ever gotten them.

I'll shut up now, you get my drift lol.

I don't think you'll need a memory foam type one they could be hard to wash. Even go with one sheet of vet bed for now and see how your dogs like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just posting a picture up of one of our dogs in the vet bed (scuse her funny looking paw she had to have part of her dew claw removed hence the shaved bit) she would be nearly twice the size of your dog and the vet bed she is on is the non slip and that piece is 1 and 1/2 feet in size so even a foot of it would do your dog.
    This one we bought at the pet expo. from bronteglen.ie they were selling off offcuts so we were lucky to get two large pieces for only €7.50 each if you got the one on the link I posted it would be even more cosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

My dog had the same problem. I got him a really soft couch trow in Dunne's and wrapped it around a pillow. better than any bed I've seen as he could also wrap up in it.

Advertisement