Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watches in Le Tour!

• 17-07-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Sitting watching the tour today, I was struck by the fact that a few riders were wearing watches (was J A Flecha that initially caught my eye, but I noticed a few others). I'm assuming that these are heart rate monitors (or some form of sponsorship!), but was wondering a: what sort they are (didn't look like the usual polar/garmin ones) and b: would they not be a bit dangerous in a crash potentially -you could do a fair amount of harm to your wrist/arm if the strap caught in something when you went down at high speed.

I've not noticed them before, so maybe it's a dead normal thing, but was just my pondering topic for the day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I doubt they're HRMs, probably just watches. I know they probably have people telling them where to be and when, but it probably gives them a sense of feeling in control and having something personal with them.

I know I feel pretty naked without mine*

* which happens to be an HRM, but that's just because I lack any sense of style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

But their garmins or srms would have the time on them... maybe that's what they talk about in the peloton "hey Andy, have you got the right time? my watch says 12:43.... sorry Bertie, mine says 12:45!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Cav puts one on straight after his wins. Wasn't he given a limited edition watch by one of his sponsors?

I'm quite proud that I own a Festina. Ironically my Dad bought it for cheap when he was on a flight and I was looking for a replacement after I damaged my other one in a fall (Never wear a good watch cycling!). I had never heard of Festina or their cycling links before that watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Fredo

TinyExplosion, Could it be the power balance wrist band craze?
    http://www.powerbalance.com/
    On eurosport this morning a French rider was saying that a lot of athletes were wearing one...
    This bracelet claims balance improvement, with the amount of crashes this year they might rethink this ;-)

It looked more like a standard watch (possibly and adidas sport one as Sky have adidas on board) rather than a power balance (though I have noticed what could be them too (I spend too much time looking at wrists I guess!)

I can get them popping on a sponsors watch after the stage (like in F1), just don't see the need for one during a race, and to me it seems like it could cause more ouchies in a crash (one of the main reasons I don't wear one on the bike)

• Advertisement

Fredo wrote: »
    TinyExplosion, Could it be the power balance wrist band craze?
    http://www.powerbalance.com/
    On eurosport this morning a French rider was saying that a lot of athletes were wearing one...
    This bracelet claims balance improvement, with the amount of crashes this year they might rethink this ;-)

Holy ****, I want one of those -that's what'll help my cycling, not a good diet and training or anything like that, but some good, old fashioned hologram full of snake oil!

I'll take 4

But their garmins or srms would have the time on them...

Unlikely. There are limited fields on the Garmin once you include power, and it is quite hard to switch between display modes when you're knackered/pedalling hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Lumen wrote: »
    Unlikely. There are limited fields on the Garmin once you include power, and it is quite hard to switch between display modes when you're knackered/pedalling hard.
    One press on the power button gives you the time on a Garmin (305/705) irrespective of what field display you have. Why exactly anyone would need to know the time of day in the middle of a bike race is another question :)

blorg wrote: »
    One press on the power button gives you the time on a Garmin (305/705) irrespective of what field display you have.

Wow, didn't know that. I'm sure someone at Garmin is pleased that you read the manual. :)
    Why exactly anyone would need to know the time of day in the middle of a bike race is another question :)

Indeed, but how about before a race? Do they get so micromanaged that they never need to know the time?

I'm sure you don't wear a watch on the bike - I think I saw you cycling up the N3 Thursday before last about twenty minutes after the race had been due to start. ;)

Indeed, but how about before a race? Do they get so micromanaged that they never need to know the time?

I would say that they don't once they get changed into the team kit -by then they're on the bus, and just doing what all the other funny looking people in Lycra are doing -I don't think they need to know the exact time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm sure you don't wear a watch on the bike - I think I saw you cycling up the N3 Thursday before last about twenty minutes after the race had been due to start. ;)
    Still made that one. Horrible race, glad I eventually puncured. You can still get the time from pressing the button. Touring, I do have the time on display. I have not worn a watch since childhood. This may show.

I have not worn a watch since childhood. This may show.

That explains a great deal...

Advertisement