Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nando's Opening in Mahon Point

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

I'd go there a good few times with a gang of friends and we'd all try to eat the Big American burger. I always thought it was grand out. Service was often very slow. Especially if you were intending on going to a movie afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I heard Nandos is open now. Anyone been? What's it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Well is it defo open in Mahon Point yet ? Going down to Cork Thursday would love to try it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

I don't think it was open on Sunday, unless I completely missed it while walking past.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Well is it defo open in Mahon Point yet ? Going down to Cork Thursday would love to try it .

Don't think so, was going to go their Friday evening but when I googled about it I could find nothing indicating it was open bar H8GHOTI's post.
    It's not even mentioned on the mahon point website or in the golden pages.
    We went to mahon pt anyway and the place doesn't look anywhere near open!
    H8GHOTI must of heard wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭bizzo

babo9 wrote: »
    Don't think so, was going to go their Friday evening but when I googled about it I could find nothing indicating it was open bar H8GHOTI's post.
    It's not even mentioned on the mahon point website or in the golden pages.
    We went to mahon pt anyway and the place doesn't look anywhere near open!
    H8GHOTI must of heard wrong.

Was there during the week too and saw that the door to bennigans is completely covered over so there is now no entrance to the building which would indicate that the space is not being used. Very dissapointing for a newish shopping centre only having a jammy food court.

They could have done alot more with the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it might be going upstairs in the food court, just past mc donalds the whole area is blocked off, they are working on something in there,

edit: as said below upstairs closed for refurbishment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

bladebrew wrote: »
    it might be going upstairs in the food court, just past mc donalds the whole area is blocked off, they are working on something in there,

Refurb upstairs according to website:

http://www.mahonpointsc.ie/food-improvements/
    The refurbishment of the central Foodcourt (a shared seating area for KFC, Abrakebabra, The Bagel Bar, Eddie Rockets and McDonalds - the only one of its kind in Cork) is commencing in October. This upgrade of the existing facilities will see the foodcourt zoned into different areas: a combination of booths, family seating, high tables, benches, sofas and lounge seating to suit various eating occasions. Integrated into this specially commissioned plan is a green and walnut colour scheme with customised wallpaper, feature lighting and plants to bring warmth and atmosphere to the eating area. In addition, there will be a dedicated Party Zone for kids at the rear. The upgrade will considerably improve the customer eating environment of the foodcourt whilst enhancing Mahon Point’s reputation for continuous innovation.

This news coincides with work starting on Nando’s first restaurant in the Republic outside of Dublin in Mahon Point. The South African-Portuguese chain will provide 40 new jobs in a large ground floor unit in Mahon Point of 309sqm. This casual dining restaurant will have dedicated seating for 120 people and will serve its famous flame grilled peri-peri chicken as well as burgers, pitas, wraps and vegetarian options. Founded in 1987, Nando's operates in 26 countries and on five continents and already has restaurants open in Dublin and Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Ya I was mis-informed. Went to the cinema tonight (The Social Network, pretty good btw) & Nandos isn't open yet. It is being worked on though & the Nandos website says it's opening in October (But I think it said September last month). So......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Subscribed to that newlsetter of theirs and got mail back saying that they are scheduled to start grilling on 20th December ...
    Looks good enough to try out at least once :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

YAY!!!! I've been wondering when Nando's would be opening as this has been in the works since last year.

I have to wait until I get home to get my fix of Nando's, so to me this is a right result!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

on facebook - Nandos Update: Opening 26th Jan 2011 in Mahon Point- sure to spice up the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

cant wait for nandos to open, i often drive to dundrum for my fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

MahonPoint is the place to be next week for Cork's first sample of Nando's peri-peri chicken

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0118/breaking16.html

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

At Last, Nando's Mahonpoint is open for business, from today.

The chicken burger and spicy rice were delicious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

At Last, Nando's Mahonpoint is open for business, from today.

The chicken burger and spicy rice were delicious.

How was it price wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭GiftGrub100

Same pricing as the Dundrum Restaurant.

Chicken Burger and 2 Sides 11.95, Bottomless Softdrink 2.90, So lunch for two people was just under 30 euro. The quality was up to scratch with the other Nando's I have eaten in (Dundrum, Cardiff and Gloucester)

Not cheap when you consider that Abra upstairs have the 4.95 offer on a Wednesday which makes lunch for two under 10 euro, or if you go to KFC the fully loaded meal with a few extra works out at 20 euro for lunch for two.

However it is great to have another option rather than fast food in Mahonpoint again as it at least gives us a choice of where to eat.

Link to the Menu here:

http://www.nandosrestaurant.ie/pdfs/Irish_Menu_1283265901.pdf

A Link from the Guardian UK Paper, reviewing the chain:

http://www.nandosrestaurant.ie/pdfs/Irish_Menu_1283265901.pdf

and from Mondays Guardian:

I do not like restaurants where the waiter asks: "Have you eaten here before?" It implies a system you have to fit into, clearly for the benefit of the restaurant rather than the diner, and reminds me of that awkward first day at a new office, when someone has to tell you where the toilets are and who to see if you want a new pen.

And yes, I am talking about Nando's, where you take your seat as if it were a proper restaurant and then they tell you: "Nah, we're only joking, it's like McDonald's really. You have to order at the counter."

For some reason, Nando's is a favourite among Premier League footballers. Regular listeners to BBC Five Live's Fighting Talk will know my one recent brush with fame was when I saw Aaron Lennon in Nando's. (He was having the chicken.) Maybe the guy at the counter who explains the various sauce options, combo possibilities and tactics with the side orders is like a kind of substitute gaffer. So it was no surprise to find that the ubiquitous chain of retail-park poultry pushers is a favourite of Aston Villa's new £18m (rising to £24m) man, Darren Bent. Bent is in many ways the Nando's of the Premier League, a reliable goal‑scoring brand.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2011/jan/24/darren-bent-aston-villa-nandos

fantastic chicken up there today, people waiting to be seated for an hour when i left, expensive but good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

fantastic chicken up there today, people waiting to be seated for an hour when i left, expensive but good quality

What time was that at?? Was there at about 4 until after 5 and there were only a handful in there. Looked very nice though. Havent eaten in Nandos before, but often tried to get into the one in Liverpool and there would be huge queues at all times of the day. Was going to go in there but decided to go to the east village for 3 courses for 20e instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

Glad to hear postive reviews :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Can't wait to try it. Used to eat regularly in the branches in Clapham High Street and in Brixton. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

What time are they open until?? Late enough I hope, Might give it a week or two for business to calm down a bit - ate there in London and loved it so looking forward to it :)

e left at twenty past seven , the place was hoping, only open till 9 weekdays and 10 at weekends, thats the only down side

PaulieC wrote: »
    What time are they open until?? Late enough I hope, Might give it a week or two for business to calm down a bit - ate there in London and loved it so looking forward to it :)

Open Sun - Weds 12 - 9 and Thurs - Sat 12 - 10 :) Also do phone in take aways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭BArra

any further verdicts

i havent visited it yet myself

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Went over with a friend the other evening around 6pm - it was fairly busy and we were waiting 10mins for a table but it was worth it.

got the double chicken burger and chips (I'm a man of simple pleasures) - it was lovely.

I got a medium flavoured spice on it and it was still fairly hot but I'd go for it again - it was lovely :)

I kinda wish it was a bit cheaper though - I basically paid €15 for a chicken burger and chips although the quality of the chicken was superb...

If they did weekly deals etc. I'd love it as it's only over the road from where I live and it'd go down as a nice treat every now and again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Went there Saturday afternoon, the place was jointed. It needs to be a bit bigger and the queuing to pay and order is just a pain in the arse. It just changes the atmosphere in the place and I didn't know whether to rate the food as fast food or not!

I got the chicken fajita, chips and peri-peri salt with coleslaw.
    fajita was nice, loved the sauce in it but needs to be more filling apart from chicken and lettuce, should put some tomatoes or other veg in it.

chips were good. the peri-peri salt was soooo nice.

coleslaw was ****e, should have got a different side.

My little one got a chicken burger, garlic bread and ice lolly for 6.45.. an individual ice-lolly would have been FOUR EURO FIFTEEN which I felt was an utter rip off!

The beau got a steak bap, he said it wasn't that nice and chips.

so i'm kinda mixed about it, the prices could have been a bit lower, the food was fresh and the per-peri sauce made the dishes. wouldn't be big on going back though.

Went there Saturday afternoon, the place was jointed. It needs to be a bit bigger and the queuing to pay and order is just a pain in the arse. It just changes the atmosphere in the place and I didn't know whether to rate the food as fast food or not!

I got the chicken fajita, chips and peri-peri salt with coleslaw.
    fajita was nice, loved the sauce in it but needs to be more filling apart from chicken and lettuce, should put some tomatoes or other veg in it.

chips were good. the peri-peri salt was soooo nice.

coleslaw was ****e, should have got a different side.

My little one got a chicken burger, garlic bread and ice lolly for 6.45.. an individual ice-lolly would have been FOUR EURO FIFTEEN which I felt was an utter rip off!

The beau got a steak bap, he said it wasn't that nice and chips.

so i'm kinda mixed about it, the prices could have been a bit lower, the food was fresh and the per-peri sauce made the dishes. wouldn't be big on going back though.

There are extras with it, you can add tomato and all that stuff with it if you had wanted.

The queuing to pay is different yes, but no complaints about that aspect thus far...queues are to be expected only on the second week :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

TBH - Queueing at ANY Nando's is to be expected.

Very rarely will you get in and get a table straight away. My local in London, you can expect to wait 20+ minutes for a table if it's very busy.

I'm not sure about the prices here, but I find Nando's to be reasonable in price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Vinta81 wrote: »
    There are extras with it, you can add tomato and all that stuff with it if you had wanted.

The queuing to pay is different yes, but no complaints about that aspect thus far...queues are to be expected only on the second week :)

hmm, but they said on the menu what was in the fajita was chicken,sauce and salad.. surely salad is more than lettuce!

:cool:

Advertisement