Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nando's Opening in Mahon Point

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

hmm, but they said on the menu what was in the fajita was chicken,sauce and salad.. surely salad is more than lettuce!

:cool:

Are you talking about the chicken wrap? Because we don't have fajitas on the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Is it worth the wait??. The last crowd there were a pain the hole because they would make you wait outside for a table even though the place was empty inside...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

Vinta81 wrote: »
    Are you talking about the chicken wrap? Because we don't have fajitas on the menu.

yea, chicken wrap. my mistake. are you working there or something?

A busy restaurant/fast food spot is good to see :)
    I'd be slow to go into a quite one, fingers crossed for management and staff (especially boardies :) ) that it continues to be busy.

Unfortunately many places now reckon a lash of lettuce justifies the name salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

I went last night, it was ok, service was good and all that I'm not too overly gone on the flavors though. (Nothing against the place, just not really to my tastes).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

oeb wrote: »
    I went last night, it was ok, service was good and all that I'm not too overly gone on the flavors though. (Nothing against the place, just not really to my tastes).
    i love the taste of the sauce, cant get enough of it its just too expensive to go all the time.... fajita person got burned, ha ha

i love the taste of the sauce, cant get enough of it its just too expensive to go all the time.... fajita person got burned, ha ha

how did i get burned?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

IIRC they have it for sale in the English Market for quite cheap - the sauces that is...goes well with lots of stuff I find

how did i get burned?
    fajita's are not sold in nandos they are tex mex cuisine, check out the menu.
    nandos sauce is on sale in tesco for the last couple of years but no matter how long i marinade the chicken for i cannot replicate nandos chicken

fajita's are not sold in nandos they are tex mex cuisine, check out the menu.
    nandos sauce is on sale in tesco for the last couple of years but no matter how long i marinade the chicken for i cannot replicate nandos chicken

I made a mistake by calling a wrap a fajita jees.. :rolleyes:

lemon and herb marinade is so nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Has anyone checked their bill from Nando's? I went today (top food as always), but just on checking my bill, I see a subtotal for the food I bought, and then a 'tax' amount. It's not VAT, that's shown separately and appears to be included in the price of the food. It's some weird percentage aswell, somewhere between 12% and 13% of the food costs.

I don't eat out very often, but I've never noticed this before? The menu says that service is not included (which I assume to mean it's not included in the prices on the menu) but it's a bit cheeky to add some random percentage to my bill if this is a service charge, it was only me on my own!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

corblimey wrote: »
    Has anyone checked their bill from Nando's? I went today (top food as always), but just on checking my bill, I see a subtotal for the food I bought, and then a 'tax' amount. It's not VAT, that's shown separately and appears to be included in the price of the food. It's some weird percentage aswell, somewhere between 12% and 13% of the food costs.

I don't eat out very often, but I've never noticed this before? The menu says that service is not included (which I assume to mean it's not included in the prices on the menu) but it's a bit cheeky to add some random percentage to my bill if this is a service charge, it was only me on my own!

It's definitely not a service charge! I'll check - I assumed it was VAT.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Must call into nando's next time I'm in mahon point :)

Vinta81 wrote: »
    It's definitely not a service charge! I'll check - I assumed it was VAT.
    its the vat total as below its separated in two different vat rates

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

its the vat total as below its separated in two different vat rates

You're right, it's just a weird way to do it. They have the prices including VAT, then the VAT, but the total charged is the prices excluding VAT plus the VAT.

Food..............15.30
    Drink...............2.95
    Subtotal.........15.92 (actually the subtotal of the 2 above excl VAT)
    Tax (VAT)........2.33
    Total.............18.25 (actually the total of Food + Drink)

Weird.

corblimey wrote: »
    You're right, it's just a weird way to do it. ..............

Weird.

I wouldn't reckon that's weird at all, I do my invoices like that too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭neveah

I've eaten in Nandos in London and enjoyed it so I eventually got a chance to check out the Mahon Point one over the weekend. It was ok. I really liked the interior of the restaurant, the paintings were pretty cool, nice and colourful. The staff were friendly as well. My chicken pitta was really nice, best part of the meal but I didn't like the coleslaw or the chips that much.

The whole queuing to order thing annoyed me a little bit but maybe this was because it was busy and we had to wait for ages while a woman in front of us ordered for her 5 children and held up the queue for ages!

Also I got my food about 10 minutes before my friend, so I was practically half way through my meal by the time she got hers. You could see loads of food sitting on the counter waiting to be given out but the staff kept walking past it, in the end we had to ask someone to get it for us.

Overall it was ok, grand for a quick bite to eat while out shopping or before the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭sporina

do they use proper plates, forks, knives etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Nando's description of a 'hot' PiriPiri and mine seem to be two different things. I've had hot PiriPiris in Maylasia which genuinely had me with streaming eyes and nose - the stuff I got in Mahon I wouldn't even count as hot. Medium maybe ... but you'd be struggling to even classify it as that. Plus, I've seen more meat on a sparrow, someone needs to stop being miserly with portions.

Plus, I've seen more meat on a sparrow, someone needs to stop being miserly with portions.

Vinta might have had a word with whoever served you, since you mentioned wanting to lose the little belly :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Cheeky git!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

I was there yesterday and was very disappointed.

The portions were akin (if not smaller) to what I would get upstairs in the food court.

Just under €15 for what amounts to a chicken burger, chips and a mineral. paying restaurant prices despite having to order it at the counter yourself.

The chicken burger wasnt a patch on a hillbillies chicken burger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Average imo. Food was grand but nothing special.

I can't understand the hype & how successful they are. Huge lack of choice on an overpriced menu. I know the whole idea is that they have this amazing chicken peri peri. You can have a breast, a fillet or wings but basically it's different ways of serving the same thing. If you don't like the sauce there is nothing on the menu for you really. So you can't go there if anyone going with you doesn't like it.

I was there around 7 last night and there was a small queue. About 20 mins later when we got a seat there must have been about 30 people waiting. I'm glad I tried it once but won't be rushing back and definitely wouldn't queue for that long. It isn't much better than anything upstairs in the foodcourt. If it was in town & I had a choice of somewhere like Market Lane for roughly the same price, I choose Market Lane every time.

The following from The Guardian article posted by GiftGrub100 is spot on:
    ...where you take your seat as if it were a proper restaurant and then they tell you: "Nah, we're only joking, it's like McDonald's really. You have to order at the counter...

...I saw Aaron Lennon in Nando's. (He was having the chicken...)

sporina wrote: »
    do they use proper plates, forks, knives etc?

Ya they do. You order at the counter. They give you an empty glass for your drink. You collect your knive & fork over on a counter when you get your own drink & they have a few different sauces. They drop your food down to your table for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

I have to laugh at some of the comments saying, that they don't have much else if you don't like the sauce. That is the whole point they serve piri-piri spiced food. You don't go to a fish and chip shop when you don't like fish and chips and expect to get alternatives to it.

Also there is more than chicken on offer. I find the veggie and bean burgers in there great and with the choice of them in a pitta, wrap or bun with different levels of spice there is great choice.

In the end it is good quality Fast Food in a nice setting. If you don't like spice and don't like queuing to order your own food at the till then you may not like Nandos. More places are needed like this in Mahon point to offer a better range of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Was in there the other night for the first time, food wasnt bad but was bloody expensive. Cost EUR36 for two people which is a bit of a joke. It wouldnt have been so bad if that included a starter/desert of some kind but it was just mains so I wouldnt be rushing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was really looking forward to Nando's but I've heard nothing but bad things from people who have been there - the most common complaint being the miserable portions e.g. half a slice of cheese per wrap. I still want to try it out for myself but expectations are now quite low.

Spindle wrote: »
    I have to laugh at some of the comments saying, that they don't have much else if you don't like the sauce. That is the whole point they serve piri-piri spiced food. You don't go to a fish and chip shop when you don't like fish and chips and expect to get alternatives to it.

Also there is more than chicken on offer. I find the veggie and bean burgers in there great and with the choice of them in a pitta, wrap or bun with different levels of spice there is great choice.

In the end it is good quality Fast Food in a nice setting. If you don't like spice and don't like queuing to order your own food at the till then you may not like Nandos. More places are needed like this in Mahon point to offer a better range of food.

There's loads of places to eat in mahon. I think there must be 10 different places to eat now!

I presume that's aimed at me. If so, read my post again & properly this time.

I made a point of stating that I understood the idea of the place. Just in case someone decided to point it out to me. I see that it didn't work.
    I had looked at the menu online so wasn't expecting alternatives. I'm just surprised by their success.
    In the end it is good quality Fast Food in a nice setting.

It's ok food that isn't really that fast. Even after you order the food, it doesn't come out that fast.
    It's like fast food done slowly. It is a nice enough setting. I'll give you that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I love Nandos. I go to the one in Dundrum and Sword regularly. I ate in the one in Mahon recently and the portion sizes were fine and the food tasted good. I usually get a pitta and it's been the same in Dundrum, Swords and Mahon. Plenty of salad, plenty of chicken and enough cheese. Some people might say that there are cheaper places to eat in Mahon than Nandos but it's a step up from the likes of KFC and Abrakababra imo. The Choc-A-Lot cake is amazing. I will agree that the service was a bit slow the day I was there.

Advertisement