Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nando's Opening in Mahon Point

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I had looked at the menu online so wasn't expecting alternatives. I'm just surprised by their success.

There are not many places in Ireland that offer spicy food.

I am always surprised by McDonald's success :), cardboard in a cardboard box with no choice for vegetarians.
    H8GHOTI wrote: »
    It's ok food that isn't really that fast. Even after you order the food, it doesn't come out that fast.
    It's like fast food done slowly. It is a nice enough setting. I'll give you that.

It is cooked to order unlike some places so that would account for the longer waiting, but it is always hot when you get it so that is good.

Spindle wrote: »
    I am always surprised by McDonald's success :), cardboard in a cardboard box with no choice for vegetarians. .

fillet of fish thing, anyway, most folk are not vegetarian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

RoverJames wrote: »

I wouldnt be to gone on McDonalds meself. It is a bit like having sex,great while your having it but you are hungry for more an hour later.

i am living in south africa the last 2 years and nandos isn't overpriced at all. i can get a half chicken meal for like 6 euro. sounds like a typical irish venture, inflated prices. things are cheaper here but not like the prices people have mentioned on this forum.

plus even in the indians i know here struggle with the hot peri-peri, max i can go here is mild so also sounds like the hot is not hot in ireland.

i think it is crazy the prices they are charging thought, 21 euro for 2 meals, here for 10 euro you can get a family meal that can feed 3 adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Fish is not a vegetarian food :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Those I know who have eaten there all seem to have the same impression: over-priced fast food. Hate those places, like Bennigans, Captain America etc - such a rip-off, and so mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I am always surprised by McDonald's success :), cardboard in a cardboard box with no choice for vegetarians.

The veggi wrap is nice enough I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

There are not many places in Ireland that offer spicy food.

Maybe not fast food outlets but there are plenty of restaurants that serve spicy food :)

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I can't see Nandos lasting in MP.

Their prices are, pardon the pun, saucy.

They'll go the same was as Bennigans unless they reduce their prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Yeah I'd agree with you and I cant see myself going back anytime soon to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I think the food is really yummy but I agree it is pricy for what you get.
    Probably around 20 quid for just a small main course and a soft drink.
    ¢10-12 would make it a handy bite on the way to the cinema rather than a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

finally went there last Sunday evening (with the family) and wow, after looking at the menu we upped and left.
    I'm sorry but I'm not paying over 10 euro for a chicken burger with a portion of fries f**king extra!
    The options for children were expensive too, especially when I know my daughter won't eat it all (not Nandos fault I know!).

We headed up to the food court and saw that Eddie Rockets finally woke up to their crazy prices before they went out of business.
    They had a family meal thing:

2 * Classic Burger Meals
    2 * Kids meals (choice of hot-dog, nuggets, something else..)
    4 Scoops of ice-cream
    2 lollies for the kids

All for €20. Decent offer I felt. And during the time I was there I've never seen them do so much business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I'm a big fan of piripiri chicken, cook it at home and have it on hols. I had a 1/2 chicken, chips, garlic bread. Pricewise, I was happy with what I got for 13.75 - considering pubgrub of even mediocre standard would be 10-12euro! There was loads of chicken in what I got! The only pity was that it was Good Friday and I couldn't have a Super Bock with it... :( They were doing a very good trade for a Good Friday

"Hot" seems to be "hot" by average Irish tastes, I enjoyed it and you can always lash on some more sauce....

langdang wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of piripiri chicken, cook it at home and have it on hols. I had a 1/2 chicken, chips, garlic bread. Pricewise, I was happy with what I got for 13.75 - considering pubgrub of even mediocre standard would be 10-12euro! There was loads of chicken in what I got! The only pity was that it was Good Friday and I couldn't have a Super Bock with it... :( They were doing a very good trade for a Good Friday

"Hot" seems to be "hot" by average Irish tastes, I enjoyed it and you can always lash on some more sauce....

I'm just back from Portugal, Super Bock a euro a bottle...oh happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

I'm just back from Portugal, Super Bock a euro a bottle...oh happy days!
    Tis tasty stuff! And piripiri chicken for half the price it is here too. Ireland is, and always will be, very expensive unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I was in there a few days ago and I am horrified at what they were charging.

We got what amounted to : a chicken burger, a veggie burger, two really measly looking sides and a single order of fries, a coke and a tea and it was nearly €40!

As far as I could see it's just glorified fast food dressed up a bit on plates and served in a restaurant-like venue.

For the same price in the city centre I could have had a really nice meal for two with better, more interesting food and larger portions and maybe even a glass of wine if I'd used early bird menus / set menus.

For 40 quid, you can get quite a lot these days if you shop around a bit in town.

I just went out feeling that I'd paid €40 for something that's basically just a pretentious version of KFC!

For those of you who are used to US$, that's over 50 bucks for a couple of burgers and sides and a coke! Madness!

Would not be rushing back!

We skipped dessert and coffees and left in bad humour feeling like we'd been had!

@Solair did you not happen to glance at the prices when looking at the menu? I was in the same position, seated with the family and once I realised we were going to end up paying the bones of €50 for chicken and chips we upped and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Solair wrote: »

For those of you who are used to US$, that's over 50 bucks for a couple of burgers and sides and a coke! Madness!

Not sure why there is a need to translate it into Dollars but it's about 2800 rupees if you want to make it sound even more expensive again.

Probably should have translated into ounces of gold, the Euro and Dollar are looking extremely shakey at the moment.

You'd have to wonder about the competence of our governments when you can't even be sure that the currency will survive Christmas!

Cork really needs to launch the Yoyo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

if you just want chicken and chips the off you go to kfc, if you want quality food with flavour then pay a bit extra,at least its all cooked fresh to order, and there is a reason it the fastest growing franchise in the uk, people pay for decent food.
    well thats my rant over, i want nandos now, good job i have ten stamps on the loyalty card, he he ........................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

if you just want chicken and chips the off you go to kfc, if you want quality food with flavour then pay a bit extra,at least its all cooked fresh to order, and there is a reason it the fastest growing franchise in the uk, people pay for decent food.
    well thats my rant over, i want nandos now, good job i have ten stamps on the loyalty card, he he ........................

Your talking about Nando's ya?!!
    Decent food is not chicken and chips, it might be tasty but its far from decent.:rolleyes:

fillet of fish cooked in the same oil as the nuggets and chicken burgers, yay really vegetatian

Decent food is not chicken and chips, it might be tasty but its far from decent.:rolleyes:
    they have steak aswell, by decent i meant decent tasting, sometimes you can bounce kfc of the wall its so tough, and it very oily as opposed to nandos cooked on a flame grill

Yeah, I agree! For what I paid for two very dry, over-spiced mains, I could have picked up a really good deal in a lot of restaurants in town and had far better food.

I can think of loads of places in town that serve *much* better food at far more reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

its all relative. but their chicken is fresh(not frozen) and marinated overnight. i have only had pleasant experiences there.
    also they sell a lot more than "chicken and chips"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I was in there on sat eve. I had the pitta and coleslaw. It was ok.
    My daughter got the kids chicken strips and chips. I asked for plain chicken for her, but it was a little spicy.
    It was €20 for us though!
    the food was alright, but the staff were so annoying. They came to our table about 4 times to ask if we wanted something, like extra chips or coleslaw etc...
    They were overly fake nice IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I'm treating myself to a Christmas Nando's on Friday. Their butterfly chicken is immense, and I've enough coupons for an extra half portion. Hot as can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

Solair wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree! For what I paid for two very dry, over-spiced mains, I could have picked up a really good deal in a lot of restaurants in town and had far better food.

I can think of loads of places in town that serve *much* better food at far more reasonable prices.

But you weren't in town, you were in Nando's in Mahon Point & it has already been pointed out that they print their prices on the menu. Get over it ... move on ... go to town in future

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

trebormurf wrote: »
    But you weren't in town, you were in Nando's in Mahon Point & it has already been pointed out that they print their prices on the menu. Get over it ... move on ... go to town in future

So people can't complain about the prices of food just because they print their prices on the menu? Maybe the food was very good, he stated it wasn't and therefore wasn't worth the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

Corholio wrote: »
    So people can't complain about the prices of food just because they print their prices on the menu? Maybe the food was very good, he stated it wasn't and therefore wasn't worth the money.

By all means complain in the restaurant if you're unhappy but complaining anonymously on a website is pretty Irish to me, moaning after the fact. That's exactly the reason why some places serve ****e & charge whatever they like - because Irish people would rather moan on a website than pointing out a problem to staff/management.

Advertisement