Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

International Question

• 17-07-2010 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Why are international teams allowed foreign managers but not foreign players. you have to have some sort of connection to play for a foreign country i.e. players born in england playing for ireland grandparent rule, but yet have no connection to manage a foreign country i.e. trapatoni for ireland and capello for england brian kerr faroe islands. why is that allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I'd like to see International teams only employ managers from their own countries.

I'd imagine it's something to do with the fact that managers are employees of each country's federation and as such, have to abide by regulations of employment, EU stuff and all that. That's just a guess though cos obviously the EU only deals with Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

I've always felt that if you are going to go down the grandparent road and have players playing for you that have rarely been in the country, you might as well just play for whatever country you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Even though ideally I would like to see a national team being managed but a person from that country, certain countries like the Faroe Islands would have difficulty in getting a manager with enough experience.

Like what irish person would you get to manage Ireland at the mo???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

SarahBM wrote: »
    Even though ideally I would like to see a national team being managed but a person from that country, certain countries like the Faroe Islands would have difficulty in getting a manager with enough experience.

Um, their players aren't exactly up to scratch either are they?
    I think the OP makes a valid point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I agree. I think there should be the same rules for the management team as there is for players. I think the granny rule should be scrapped as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

agree with the general sentiment of this thread tbh

managers needing to at least have some roots in the country theyre managing is only fair since its the same for players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

While I agree that the team should be made up of representatives from whichever nation they are representing, it is a grey area.

Manuel Almunia is eligible to play for England as he has never played for Spain and has resided in England for the requisite amount of time to be called up to the England squad.

There are other examples too, Deco is Brazillian born but plays for Portugal through residency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

sorry guys been on the beer all night only gettin in now. why is diff for managers and not the players to have (have not) connections to the country....is there a FIFA rule somewhere that allows this?

appreciate all the responses by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Why are international teams allowed foreign managers but not foreign players. you have to have some sort of connection to play for a foreign country i.e. players born in england playing for ireland grandparent rule, but yet have no connection to manage a foreign country i.e. trapatoni for ireland and capello for england brian kerr faroe islands. why is that allowed?

There is no point in having a rule for managers as its unpoliceable.
    Ireland could just appoint a cheap figurehead as their official manager, and still allow Trappatoni to pick the team, organise the tactics etc. And officially call him 'an advisor', and he'd sit on the bench and call all the shots.
    Whereas its much easier for FIFA to control the nationality of players.

So FIFA made a decision to not even try to control the management/coaching side of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

SarahBM wrote: »

Eamon Dunphy!

OP, id rather we had people who really really want to play for Ireland. I don't like if players who are not good enough for England decide to play for us... Oh and it doesn't bother me if a manager is foreign, I'm proud of the players, they done all the hard work. I'm very grateful to the managers for helping the players along...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Andrew Flexing

Scrap the granny rule...I'd much rather 11 real Irish men on the pitch than the like of Babb, Morrisson, Townsend et al. and all these other brits who suddenly realise they are Irish at the age of 23 when they cop on that they are not good enough for their real country.

my URBAN EXPLORATION YouTube channel: https://www.facebook.com/ASMRurbanexploration/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Scrap the granny rule...I'd much rather 11 real Irish men on the pitch than the like of Babb, Morrisson, Townsend et al. and all these other brits who suddenly realise they are Irish at the age of 23 when they cop on that they are not good enough for their real country.

Would you give up Germany 88 , Italia 90 ,USA 94 and Korea 02 to have an Irish team made up of as you put it with 11 real Irish men ? I am not judging ,I'd just like to know how deep your feelings run on the issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

mudokon wrote: »
    While I agree that the team should be made up of representatives from whichever nation they are representing, it is a grey area.

Manuel Almunia is eligible to play for England as he has never played for Spain and has resided in England for the requisite amount of time to be called up to the England squad.

There are other examples too, Deco is Brazillian born but plays for Portugal through residency.

Can Arteta play for England yet? That's a player who should have played internationally by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

8-10 wrote: »
    Can Arteta play for England yet? That's a player who should have played internationally by now.

He's eligible but the FAs of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have a 'gentlemans agreement' to only select players who are born in the country or are eligible via their bloodline.... ie No residency players.

The residency rule is an iffy in my opinion. For instance there are people who emmigrate to a foreign country and embrace their new surroundings and become part of society of the 'host' country. But then on the other hand you have players like Riki Flutey in rugby who moves to England for rugby purposes and as it happens lives their long enough to play for England and still does so despite now plying his trade in France

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I think the residency rule is ok. At least the players have lived there and feel that they want to represent and give back to a country that took them in and gave them a good home and job and it somewhat represents the football played in that country. They granny rule takes the piss though. So many players that take advantage of the rule have only been to the country to play football matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

There is no point in having a rule for managers as its unpoliceable.
    Ireland could just appoint a cheap figurehead as their official manager, and still allow Trappatoni to pick the team, organise the tactics etc. And officially call him 'an advisor', and he'd sit on the bench and call all the shots.
    Whereas its much easier for FIFA to control the nationality of players.

So FIFA made a decision to not even try to control the management/coaching side of things.

blatter ??? i knew he was upto something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

lads i wouldnt knock anyone that pulls on the green shirt and want to play for us(mcshane:D) as one poster said i wouldnt swap 88 90 94 02 for anythin regardless who played for us. i have no qualms with havin a foreign coach at least wit the granny rule the players have some sort of connection than foreign manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Pauleta wrote: »
    I think the residency rule is ok. At least the players have lived there and feel that they want to represent and give back to a country that took them in and gave them a good home and job and it somewhat represents the football played in that country. They granny rule takes the piss though. So many players that take advantage of the rule have only been to the country to play football matches.

On the other hand there are plenty of ex-pats who really associate with their roots and they certainly are entitled to represent their country. Everytime I have been in the States I have met Irish-Americans who seriously identify themselves as Irish, a lot more so than some people I have come across here in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I have dual nationality and as a kid dreamed of playing for Ireland. That said, were I to get a call tomorrow to say I was in the Canada squad for the upcoming game against Peru, I'd be on the next flight.

Every player wants to win the World Cup, no matter who they represent. I doubt the likes of Aldo and Houghton said "I won't bother this match, it's only Ireland."
    He's eligible but the FAs of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland have a 'gentlemans agreement' to only select players who are born in the country or are eligible via their bloodline.... ie No residency players.

The residency rule is an iffy in my opinion. For instance there are people who emmigrate to a foreign country and embrace their new surroundings and become part of society of the 'host' country. But then on the other hand you have players like Riki Flutey in rugby who moves to England for rugby purposes and as it happens lives their long enough to play for England and still does so despite now plying his trade in France

Yeah, there is now a reasonable Brazilian community in Dublin. If a family from there emigrated here with a kid of, say, 7/8 who turned out to be the next Kaka, and wanted to play for Ireland as he felt more Irish, I doubt there'd be many begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

FIFA also got a warning by the French Sports Minister that if FIFA ban France or interfer with how they run one of their own agencies that contrary to what FIFA think, they do not have final ruling over the French Football Federation or any FA for that matter and this coudl open up a huge can or worms which I would fully entertain.

Global football needs a meltdown to get rid of all the diseases influxed in the sport and culture surrounding it now.

• Advertisement

On the other hand there are plenty of ex-pats who really associate with their roots and they certainly are entitled to represent their country. Everytime I have been in the States I have met Irish-Americans who seriously identify themselves as Irish, a lot more so than some people I have come across here in Ireland.

As a matter of interest have they been to Ireland?

tolosenc wrote: »
    I
    Yeah, there is now a reasonable Brazilian community in Dublin. If a family from there emigrated here with a kid of, say, 7/8 who turned out to be the next Kaka, and wanted to play for Ireland as he felt more Irish, I doubt there'd be many begrudgers.

Have a feeling if a kid born here of Brazilian parents decided to play for Brazil rather than Ireland boards would go into meltdown :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

OPENROAD wrote: »
    As a matter of interest have they been to Ireland?

Most Americans dont go on holidays abroad! And the ones that do obviously can afford it. So an amercian whose folks have good jobs and been on golfing trips here and the Guinness storehouse tour etc are more Irish than a working class Irish- American living in Boston who has never left the east coast??!!! Being Irish is as much about culture than birthplace.

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Most Americans dont go on holidays abroad! And the ones that do obviously can afford it. So an amercian whose folks have good jobs and been on golfing trips here and the Guinness storehouse tour etc are more Irish than a working class Irish- American living in Boston who has never left the east coast??!!! Being Irish is as much about culture than birthplace.

Or any nationality at that, as I said earlier you should just be allowed play for whatever country you like imo. Most footballers will give 100%. I take your point on board but I can't see how you can have an attachment to a country that you have never actually been to,although if your parents are from that country then maybe, but as you go further back, I just can't see it, but thats just me and I wouldn't knock those who do at the same time.

Advertisement