Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying FF7 again..

Options
  • 17-07-2010 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭

Been years since i first played it on my playstation, the original 4 cd box..
    I've searched online and even square's website, but nobody seems to sell it at all.. only second hand dodgy copies.

Does anywere actually stock it on any format, i remember it was on the PC for a while too, albeit fairly rare.
    Anything i can do to get get a copy thats not second hand, and not costing me more than 50 quid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I've searched online and even square's website, but nobody seems to sell it at all.. only second hand dodgy copies.

Does anywere actually stock it on any format, i remember it was on the PC for a while too, albeit fairly rare.
    Anything i can do to get get a copy thats not second hand, and not costing me more than 50 quid?

Oxfam shops. I bought one there not so long ago. And have seen one or two copies in them over the past year or so

Edit: sorry, i seen you were lookin for a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah, am quite suprised i cant find a new copy, or "whitelabel" release of it, i remember a mate of mine bought the platinum one for 20quid about 10 years ago for the psone.

surely there must be some way of legally buying the game without spending a fortune on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Yea, I suppose they publish a certain amount over the years and then stop. Great game, much better than the recent final fantasies which have been pretty poor

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Good luck finding one new. The game has been out of print for over a decadeand the PC release is quite rare compared to the PS1 game.

so i noticed, there's nowere that sells it digitaly (legally i mean)?
    seems like there should be, apparently i'm not teh only one looking for it as its being sold on ebay and various other places second hand in seriously crazy prices, seen one for 500 quid sterling.. i'm sad but not that sad lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭Varik

You can buy the download on the PS3 & PSP, saw a pile of the game new in Japan but don't think they re-released it anywhere else. I don't think you'll find anything apart from used copies in Ireland, without the PSN download you'll have to use an emulator.

not sure how the ps3 and buying stuff from it works, how much did it cost, and i guess its about 3-4gig yeah?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Digitally on PSN...:p:o
    not sure how the ps3 and buying stuff from it works, how much did it cost, and i guess its about 3-4gig yeah?

It's €10 and is about 2gig, have FFVIII from PSN and it's just shy of 2 gig.

I only have the stupid 3 disk platinum version...

You need free PSN id that you sign up for, then use a credit card to add money to you PSN wallet or buy a € card in a shop for €20 or €50 of credit for the wallet. All the FF games are there for €9.99 each and 1700 MB for FF7.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I have the platinum version in absolutely mint condition. Would it be valuable?

• Advertisement

nice one folks, just need a ps3 now then lol any suggestions on where to go in dublin for a semi-decent price?

Melion wrote: »
    some people are selling them for 500 sterling.. dunno what kind of price you'd get for it, but its pretty much golddust if its mint condition Melion, worth a lot more than you bought it for anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I paid €6.99 for it when i was working in GameStop :D

It came in pre-owned, absolutely perfect. Not a single scratch on any of the cd's and id say the manual was never even opened.

some people are selling them for 500 sterling.. dunno what kind of price you'd get for it, but its pretty much golddust if its mint condition Melion, worth a lot more than you bought it for anyway.

I have all the games, the PS1 are platinum but still won't be selling them till i can get more than £500. When i can buy a house i'll think of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nobody will buy FFVII for 500 quid. It usually goes for 40-50 euro which is still a stupid price for the game. The game is the second best selling game on the PS1 ever with almost 10 million copies sold. You can usually pick up as new copies from second hand stores or other places if you look around for 5-15 euros. Other than that it's going cheap on PSN. I'd recommend the US version which is full screen and full speed.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nobody will buy FFVII for 500 quid. It usually goes for 40-50 euro which is still a stupid price for the game. The game is the second best selling game on the PS1 ever with almost 10 million copies sold. You can usually pick up as new copies from second hand stores or other places if you look around for 5-15 euros. Other than that it's going cheap on PSN. I'd recommend the US version which is full screen and full speed.

So 4 bedrooms is out?

You'll have to find some one pretty stupid to pay 50 euros let alone 500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

you are the biggest flamer when it comes to ff7 retro.

thebhoy wrote: »
    you are the biggest flamer when it comes to ff7 retro.

So what if I am, what's that got to do with this thread? All I've mentioned is about the price of the game. Just trying to help to not spend stupid money on the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I found a copy for €7 last year, so just keep looking, its the black label edition too and in perfect condition. Got it in Blackrock market. There's so many copies of it, you're bound to find one in a charity shop or car boot sale at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Melion wrote: »

Not really, you'll get 20 or 30e on averts.ie...maybe a little more ebay. The ones going for 500e are just chancing their arm, they wont get it.

The original release, black label of FFVII in mint condition (no tears, marks or discoloration) is worth a small fortune on ebay...assuming you put up lots of hi-res photos of actual item.

Amazon has gotten very good for vintage game sellers!

Around how much is this small fortune for the black label? The copy I have is mint, just as you described... I'd be tempted to sell if and just replace it with the platinum edition if I got a decent amount for it

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

you can download Final Fantasies 7, 8 and 9 on the Playstation network and play them on your PS3. they're about a tenner each

if you already have a PS3 it's great, I'm currently half way through FF8, and i plan on tackling FF9 next.

cheers Auron

Around how much is this small fortune for the black label? The copy I have is mint, just as you described... I'd be tempted to sell if and just replace it with the platinum edition if I got a decent amount for it

Just checked for you there and they all seem to have dropped in price, guess people dont have the money these days. Last i checked black label in mint was goin between 80e and 120e at least. If its actually in Mint id try even now for 80e, just make sure you use hi-res pics of everything close-up.
    you can download Final Fantasies 7, 8 and 9 on the Playstation network and play them on your PS3. they're about a tenner each

Whats the FMV quality and loading times like? The PC port FMV quality was awful, couldnt see anything in some of them.

On the PS1 versions the quality gets much better as the games go on. FFVII is weird, some cutscenes look good but others have a lot of artificing. The movies were made piecemeal over 4 years by different companies so vary wildly in quality. FFVIII there's noticeable artificing but the video quality is much improved over the previous game. FFIX uses some phenomenally good compression and the video quality is the best I've seen in a 32-bit game. However all the videos are going to suffer on a HD screen and the 2D backdrops will be blocky. You'll just have to live with it.

carbonkid wrote: »
    Whats the FMV quality and loading times like? The PC port FMV quality was awful, couldnt see anything in some of them.

I've only played VIII so far, but the loading times and FMV's are compleatly fine.

Ironically, every copy of FFVIII I've ever had had faulty FMV, and I've never seen the ending all the way through, but I now can with my PSN version.

make sure you set up a memory card before you begin (it's just a few button clicks, to tell your PS3 to set aside a few kb to act as memory card for the virtual PS1).

You can also play the game on PSP, or, via Remote play which can be great if some ****er is taking up the TV.

carbonkid wrote: »
    Just checked for you there and they all seem to have dropped in price, guess people dont have the money these days. Last i checked black label in mint was goin between 80e and 120e at least. If its actually in Mint id try even now for 80e, just make sure you use hi-res pics of everything close-up.

Cheers for checking, sounds like it might be a serious collectors item in years to come if its commanding that already. Think I'll hang onto it for a few more years and let it become even rarer. Although from €7 to €80 would be a pretty nice profit...

I doubt it. If you look at things like vinyl records, tapes etc, or even older video games, sonic the hedgehog etc

no one wants those old cartridges if you can get digital copies of the game. the Physical copy of FFVII will probably quickly be forgotten about with the on set of digital copies on PSN, and pirates Rom copies aswell.

• Advertisement

I doubt it. If you look at things like vinyl records, tapes etc, or even older video games, sonic the hedgehog etc

no one wants those old cartridges if you can get digital copies of the game. the Physical copy of FFVII will probably quickly be forgotten about with the on set of digital copies on PSN, and pirates Rom copies aswell.

Not true at all...real collectors will always want the item in its original release format in mint condition and willing to pay big money!

Advertisement