Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank Duffy 10 mile 21st August 2010

12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Sparky101

3 stars (average)
    neonman wrote: »
    I was wondering if I took an energy gel with 2 miles to go or even 3 miles would it have had the time to kick in and give me that little bit of extra energy to finish a bit stronger than I did. I know that you shouldn't need to take a gel for this distance but I was thinking after the race that maybe I should've had one in the back pocket just in case.

I finsihed around the same time as you and took an energy gel around the 7 mile mark and think that it really helpe - as I took it, I overheard someone commenting that it would have been a good idea to have one - was that you?! I (very stupidly, I know) had not tried out this tactic before, but luckily it worked out for me. I don't know whether it was psychological or not, but it spurred me up that last hill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

3 stars (average)
    Sparky101 wrote: »
    I finsihed around the same time as you and took an energy gel around the 7 mile mark and think that it really helpe - as I took it, I overheard someone commenting that it would have been a good idea to have one - was that you?! I (very stupidly, I know) had not tried out this tactic before, but luckily it worked out for me. I don't know whether it was psychological or not, but it spurred me up that last hill!

I managed the last hill (mountain to me at that stage of the race) fine didn't stop and went up it at a good enough pace, next stop was at the water station and from there I had to stop a couple of times due to lack of energy. I blame it on the heat more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

4 stars (good)
    daymobrew wrote: »
    Aside, I am planning to start a thread in the main A/R/T forum to explain the chip timing and how to read the results info.
    I have posted said thread.

I am not 100% sure if the "Finish Time" stuff is correct but the results order and chip time is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I ran my first 10 miler after starting running this year. I had done the 5 miler in 47mins with not much training, and was dissapointed to do the 10 miles in 1:43. I was fine until the hill up to the 7 mark, doing roughly my target 9:30min/mile, then I hit the wall. Was badly in need of the water station, and when it did come I grabbed 4 cups. Struggled to Chesterfield avenue, then picked it up again. Found that the mental boost of the crowds cheering on the final straight was enormous, and I "sprinted" the full length of it. A good finish to a long race!

Lessons learned.

Hydration and nourishment. I did have cereal that morning, and sipped on some water before coming, but didn't have any water from 08:30 until the first water station, so the damage was already done! Madness to think that would see me through. I got badly dehydrated later that evening; severe headache, fever and shivers, but after sipping 1 litre of water, it got better.

Training. I need to do more of it! I'm 1:85m and weigh 98kgs, so am not the best build for running, but I can do better.

But I'm learning as I go, and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience (except 7-9 miles), and look forward to the mental challenges ahead in doing the half marathon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Su Campu wrote: »
    Found that the mental boost of the crowds cheering on the final straight was enormous, and I "sprinted" the full length of it. A good finish to a long race!
    Certainly helps alright. Just remembered that I got my name shouted out by the announcer at the finish line again on Saturday as I was approaching the line, he did that at the 5 as well. I'm now wondering if it's someone I know? :confused:

robinph wrote: »
    Certainly helps alright. Just remembered that I got my name shouted out by the announcer at the finish line again on Saturday as I was approaching the line, he did that at the 5 as well. I'm now wondering if it's someone I know? :confused:

He called out mine too! I saw a girl in the announcer's cabin calling up the names for him to read out, she was quick off the mark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭chinguetti

3 stars (average)
    I also got a shout out when i crossed the line as 'Martin' which was news to me and today in the Indo in the results, i'm down as 'Co. Dublin':eek: I feel like ringing 'Liveline' to protest.

Myself and RAL3 got a big mention for Boards as we ran down Chesterfield Avenue together round 4.5 miles in.

Any news on the club 10 mile championship by the way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭maximalistic

Quick question, I'm assuming Marathonfoto were taking photos at that race. Just wondering when they would put the photos up? Unfortunately I didn't pop up anywhere on racepix :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Quick question, I'm assuming Marathonfoto were taking photos at that race. Just wondering when they would put the photos up? Unfortunately I didn't pop up anywhere on racepix :(

Best bet for the half is to push a pram around the course or any other method of gaining attention. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

3 stars (average)

Supposed to be 72hours after the event so maybe tomorrow? (Today)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Don't worry, they will send you plenty of spam emails shortly and keep telling you about you last chance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

4 stars (good)

It took about a week for them to have the pictures after the 5 mile race. They also snail-mailed me some pictures about ten days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

rasher_m wrote: »
    Best bet for the half is to push a pram around the course or any other method of gaining attention. ;)

Or as spotted on Racepix

http://www.racepix.com/photo/4912595419/count/1116/race/352/user/0/racetag/frankduffy2010/bib/0/page/56/racephoto.aspx

You could just do like Yoda did on Saturday and got an apprentice Jedi to carry him around on his back for 10 miles... probably whispered Jedi advice in this guy's ears at places like the hills at 8 mile!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Yeay, I found a pic of myself on Racepix, thank goodness for bib numbers. Would have been some fun going through all those photos.

Was very happy when I crossed the finish line, as I got one of the spot prizes.

The Hammer wrote: »
    Or as spotted on Racepix

http://www.racepix.com/photo/4912595419/count/1116/race/352/user/0/racetag/frankduffy2010/bib/0/page/56/racephoto.aspx

You could just do like Yoda did on Saturday and got an apprentice Jedi to carry him around on his back for 10 miles... probably whispered Jedi advice in this guy's ears at places like the hills at 8 mile!

Yeah, I seen that from afar.... I thought first it was a baby in a sling and was thinking about the poor thing being slung around for ten miles on a sweaty back.

Aimman wrote: »
    Yeay, I found a pic of myself on Racepix, thank goodness for bib numbers. Would have been some fun going through all those photos.

Was very happy when I crossed the finish line, as I got one of the spot prizes.

Wha did you get :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Wha did you get :rolleyes:

I got an adidas shoulder bag. quite nice. people thought is was part of the goody bag and were asking where I got it. :D

Aimman wrote: »
    I got an adidas shoulder bag. quite nice. people thought is was part of the goody bag and were asking where I got it. :D

Yeah I could imagine some people being up in arms if they thought they were missing out on something.

Well done..I didnt even get my pic taken on racepix :mad: and I wore my best shorts...DAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done..I didnt even get my pic taken on racepix :mad: and I wore my best shorts...DAM

I only finished tagging my pics yesterday, so if you were searching by bib number you wouldn't have found any of my pics, so could be worth your while searching again.

• Advertisement

Woddle wrote: »
    I only finished tagging my pics yesterday, so if you were searching by bib number you wouldn't have found any of my pics, so could be worth your while searching again.

Just wondering how the tagging is done - manually or is there some algorithm? It's an awful lot of photos to go through, especially when some bib numbers aren't visible!

It's a special top secret algorithm that has been worked on for millennia by many of the worlds greatest brains, and the not so great. The photos are analysed for several properties and the location of the bib in the photo is determined, then using special light detecting devices, generally two for each system, that area of the photo is decoded to try and determine if there are any alphanumeric characters which the system recognises. This information is then passed over to an actually pretty low tech part of the device which mechanically enters the numbers it recognises into the Flickr system.

The current device is a bit faulty at times but the Woddle mk1 is a bit past it's prime now. ;)

Advertisement