Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reinstalling XP

• 17-07-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

hi all , looking for some advice about how to reinstall the OS (windows XP). i tried doin it but havent a clue how to do it and now i cant use the computer anymore because its only half done i think. i dont know much about this kinda stuff so a step by step guide would be very helpful.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

To reinstall Windows XP by using Windows XP CD, follow these steps:

1. Start your computer.
    2. Insert the Windows XP CD in your computer's CD drive or DVD drive.
    3. On the Welcome to Windows XP page, click Install Windows XP.
    4. On the Welcome to Windows Setup page, click Upgrade (Recommended) in the Installation Type box (if it is not already selected), and then click Next.
    5. On the License Agreement page, click I accept this agreement, and then click Next.
    6. On the Your Product Key page, type the 25-character product key in the Product key boxes, and then click Next.
    7. On the Get Updated Setup Files page, select the option that you want, and then click Next.
    8. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP.

If you successfully completed the reinstallation, congratulations. You are almost done. Please continue to the "After you reinstall Windows XP" section to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭timberland

thanks a million kleefar. i get a message saying "this copy of windows must be activated with microsoft before you can log in." dont know how to activate it as it cant connect to the internet.

Should give you a phone number to ring if you can't use the net.
    Go back and select phone option.

kleefarr wrote: »
    Should give you a phone number to ring if you can't use the net.
    Go back and select phone option.

Or..

How to activate Windows XP by phone
    To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
    2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
    3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
    4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
    5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
    You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

is this normal? why do you have to do this? any way around ringing them because i got the cd off my friend and dont have any of the info they will be looking for.

• Advertisement

Yes, it is normal. Is this the only computer the CD is being used on?

ye, he bought a laptop and god a CD with it. i have the product key for it.

You should be ok to phone them then. They will ask for the product key and then give you a serial number to put in. You might be asked why you need to reactivate, in which case you can tell them that you've upgraded your components and done a reinstall. Make sure that you are the only one using that CD though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

timberland wrote: »
    ye, he bought a laptop and god a CD with it. i have the product key for it.

as mentioned you should be ok to phone them, i.e. you will probably get away with it.. but it is illegal under MS licencing laws, just fyi

thanks guys. very helpfull.

• Advertisement
Advertisement