Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scope

Options
  • 17-07-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

hi guys purchased cz.17 rifle nice job but it only has a basic hawke scope on it. anyone any suggestions on a decent make and model scope that would suit this rifle. never had one so not sure myself. budget would be max 500 euro. any help appreciated like what magnification etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Hello,
    I have been posting quite a bit about this recently. Basically, we need to know what's your game: big, small, target, other?

A few posts

Too Much Magnification - http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055960107

Scope - Mounts - Alignment http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055970667

New Rifle post #11 http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055971211

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Something like this would be grand but id search around for a better prices.

http://www.isport.ie/Product_Details.asp?ID=585

Keep an eye on opticswarehouse.co.uk they usually have some great deals, there rifle scope section should be up and running again soon so there website says. Iv got two scopes from them.

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/products.asp?cat=SCOPE+CLEARANCE

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭chrisdolan11

thanks for the info much appreciated. the bushnell 4-12x40 looks good been checking it out elsewhere and 400 euro not bad . my shooting is going to be mainly rabbits greys magpies and thats about it to a range of 120 yards max would this scope be ok. my local gunsop was selling me a swift scope for 450 euro not sure on the spec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Stay away from Swift scopes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I must say that with the Ruger DSP .22 I have I am extremely happy with a fixed 4 x 32 mildot out to 100 yards. I have said it before that I am getting very partial to fixed power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Plus one on the above had one it went back to the dealer after 3 or so days. Very poor overall especialy at dusk. They say when it comes to glass pay as much as you can well I paid 400 euro for it and it was nowhere like the old hawke I had on my .22lr which i paid 40 quid for.

Shop around for the Bushnell alot of lads on here using them have one myself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Plus one on the above had one it went back to the dealer after 3 or so days...........

As with nearly all things shooting, scope choice is a personal choice and most info will be given as per peoples experience with certain makes.

Take the above comments. I have had 3 Swift scopes and all performed excellently. I put one on a Sauer 30-06 as a temporary fix, but over a year later its still working perfectly. So why change it? I will admit the glass could be better, but for the price what do you expect.

I had a brand new Burris that went back the evening of the same day i bought it. Won't touch another one again. Same with Hawke. Wouldn't take one for free. I know lads that feel the same about Bushnell, Nightforce, S&B, etc, etc.

I suppose the best advice is look around, talk to lads about their scopes, pick up some models and see which suits the best. When you have it narrowed down to 2 or 3 makes then ask for specific details (pros and cons) of each make. Please yourself, after all its you that has to live with it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

for 500 euro or less i'd recommend a 2nd hand schmidt and bender in 8x56 or 6x42 or similar top brand scopes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Martinobrien

4-16×50AO Tactical Scope

Hi,i have just recieved a Mueller 4-16 x 50 AO Tactical Scope from a good friend from the states,he told me they are a new scope on the market and that they are a very good scope at a reasonable price,i did have a look at them on the web and they had great reviews,now i will put it on my CZ527 and see does it live up to its name,

has anyone other shooters on here own one or have used one in the past.

Martin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'd go with ormondprop there. For that money, keep your eye out for a second-hand Schmidt and Bender 8x56. Way more than enough magnification for the distances you want and astonishing clarity. To be honest, the 6x42 would do you pretty well too, but not quite so well if you shot much under the lamp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement