Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help from fiddle players please!

Options
  • 17-07-2010 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've really wanted to learn the fiddle for years and have finally signed up for a summer school in Mayo for 1 week, 3 hours a day to get the basics.
    However, I'd really appreciate some guidance on the following;

-Buying a basic fiddle; Any tips on where to buy? The summer school organiser advised only spending 100-150Eur as I'm only starting out. I was thinking of just popping into somewhere like Waltons and picking out something in that price range but would more experienced folk recommend somewhere else to buy my fiddle, or any brands/models that might be best suited to my needs and in that kind of price range? Waltons have a Valencia for 89eur, would something like that suffice for a beginner? I really just want something to get started on, that will last me for the first year or two until I know what I'm doing to some extent.

-Lessons in Dublin; After my initial week in Mayo, I'll be looking for follow-on lessons in Dublin. I was thinking of contacting Comhaltas as they have 2 branches near me (Drumcondra) or Waltons are handy as they're in town and I could have lessons during the day which, while not totally necessary, would suit me best.
    Anyone got any experience of either of these 2 outfits? Or could you advise somewhere else? Something that appeals about both of these is that they seem to organise slow sessions which would be great a bit down the line.

Ok, I really hope someone can help!
    Many thanks in advance,

Mar.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Hi Marianne,

That week in Mayo sounds fantastic, I wish I could do that.

I have only been playing fidde for a couple of months so I can only speak from my limited experience...

There are several good places in town to buy a good fiddle, and get quality lessons. I bought mine from Charles Byrne' Musik Instrumente, and was very happy with both the experience and the instrument.

I am currently taking group lessons in Walton's, and I am very happy with how things are going. I have an excellent teacher, and the lessons are fun. The only limitation being how much personal work I put into it.... Of course one-on-one lessons are always better if you can afford them.

Have a look at the stickies for advice, and best of luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

Thanks Oink :)

I bought my fiddle yesterday from Charles Byrne's :)
    I was so impressed by their helpfulness and expertise, I must have been in there close to an hour getting advice and a mini first lesson!
    And I love my fiddle, it felt great bringing my first one home!

So I start at the summer school on Monday.
    That'll be fairly intensive so I should have a better idea of what to do next once I'm back from there. Some people have advised going the classical route to learn the basics and then take trad lessons, hmm....thinking to be done!

That's great you're getting on well with Waltons,
    Good luck with your lessons and thanks for your input,

Mar.

Advertisement