Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IP address issue..

• 17-07-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭

Heya, I am resident in Ireland, yet my IP address shows Torino, Italy. This is because I have a satellite internet connection (Digiweb.ie) whose providers use an Italian IP address.
    My problem is with purchasing items from different sites, I've no problem with browsing, but when it comes to purchasing they tell me to go to the relevant country's site, i.e. I have to be resident in the Republic of Ireland (Which I am!) to be able to purchase from, for example, 7digital.ie.
    Also, whenever I start my browser it has to translate the homepage as it's always in Italian.
    Digiweb tells me: 'The ip address that we issue to your pc/laptop changes so there is no facility for you to set up a proxy address, nor do you need one.
    If you are having issues accessing certain sites, servers etc, a proxy can be used to by pass these restrictions. As a provider, we dont restrict access to any sites so a proxy isnt needed.'
    7digital.ie say:'Sorry for the problem that you have experienced.
    Your IP address is not ascribed to anywhere within the Republic of Ireland, which is why you have had trouble ordering on the store. You will need to access the site on a computer with a different IP in order to purchase from us. The country restrictions only apply to the checkout process, so once you've purchased from a separate computer you can go back and log into your account on the first one to download your music.'
    Is there a way around this?? I have the same problem on other sites and I don't think having to use another computer or another broadband connection qualifies as a solution.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,238 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The only way around this would be to use an Irish-based proxy, but I wouldn't submit any banking or c/c details through a public proxy. In summary, there's little you can do about it besides using one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

dlofnep wrote: »
    The only way around this would be to use an Irish-based proxy, but I wouldn't submit any banking or c/c details through a public proxy. In summary, there's little you can do about it besides using one.
    Cheers for the replies guys, I tend to use Paypal, any security issues there regarding a public proxy?

Johro wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies guys, I tend to use Paypal, any security issues there regarding a public proxy?

Well, there is always the possibility of a man in the middle attack. 95% of the time, you'd probably get away with it - but you need to be very positive that the proxy is legit. When you are communicating with paypal - it operates over an encrypted connection via SSL.

Basically - make sure that the cert is legitimate and signed - and that it's operating over https:// opposed to http://

Remember when you operate through a proxy, your data goes as follows

(your pc) ==> (proxy) ==> (server)

Which means, that anything unencrypted you send and receive through the proxy, would in theory be viewable by anyone with a sniffer on the proxy.

I don't want to get too indepth - Basically, just make sure it's operating on https:// if you use a proxy when connecting to paypal, and make sure that the cert is valid. Firefox will automatically check it for you and give you a warning if it's not valid.

Overheal wrote: »
    I visited a few of these sites, all about hiding your IP address, I can't help feeling there's something a little dodgy about not wanting people to know where you are contacting them from, I realise there may be lots of security advantages in hiding your IP, and on most of these sites that's how they recommend it, my problem with it is that is seems very handy for a certain type of people I don't necessarily want to be associated with. Am I totally wrong in thinking this?

• Advertisement

Well, there is always the possibility of a man in the middle attack. 95% of the time, you'd probably get away with it - but you need to be very positive that the proxy is legit. When you are communicating with paypal - it operates over an encrypted connection via SSL.

Basically - make sure that the cert is legitimate and signed - and that it's operating over https:// opposed to http://

Remember when you operate through a proxy, your data goes as follows

(your pc) ==> (proxy) ==> (server)

Which means, that anything unencrypted you send and receive through the proxy, would in theory be viewable by anyone with a sniffer on the proxy.

I don't want to get too indepth - Basically, just make sure it's operating on https:// if you use a proxy when connecting to paypal, and make sure that the cert is valid. Firefox will automatically check it for you and give you a warning if it's not valid.
    Cheers for that, I do use Firefox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

You could set up a new email address and payapl account, fund it from a 3V card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

dont know if its an option or not but sometimes I use logmein to get around this type of issue - its dependant on you having access to another machine though.. you could install logmein on work machine say and remote into this anytime you need an irish IP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

To be completely honest, this is an issue that Digiweb should really sort for you - Contact them. The address range in use by Digiweb Satellite may need to be re-assigned to them with RIPE if it was once assigned to an Italian crowd. If this is the case then once it's reassigned it will then show up as Ireland.

If not, then Digiweb should provide a proxy for their satellite users so that you can access the web an appear as if you're from Ireland.

You should not have to resort to the methods outlined on this page, although they are valid.

I visited a few of these sites, all about hiding your IP address, I can't help feeling there's something a little dodgy about not wanting people to know where you are contacting them from, I realise there may be lots of security advantages in hiding your IP, and on most of these sites that's how they recommend it, my problem with it is that is seems very handy for a certain type of people I don't necessarily want to be associated with. Am I totally wrong in thinking this?
    Having said that, proxy.org looks a decent site with a good forum, thanks. Before posting on here I looked at IPaddress.com, basically coz when I searched 'IP address' it was the first that came up, but Firefox flagged it as having a bad rep.

• Advertisement

To be completely honest, this is an issue that Digiweb should really sort for you - Contact them. The address range in use by Digiweb Satellite may need to be re-assigned to them with RIPE if it was once assigned to an Italian crowd. If this is the case then once it's reassigned it will then show up as Ireland.

If not, then Digiweb should provide a proxy for their satellite users so that you can access the web an appear as if you're from Ireland.

You should not have to resort to the methods outlined on this page, although they are valid.
    Amen to that. They weren't so forthcoming though. I may just have to pester them.

For residential users, ISP's generally never change anything and will simply refer him to the t&c's. But you're right - it is an issue for them, but it's doubtful they would remedy it. And if so - it certainly wouldn't be within any reasonable timeframe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

To be completely honest, this is an issue that Digiweb should really sort for you - Contact them....If not, then Digiweb should provide a proxy for their satellite users so that you can access the web an appear as if you're from Ireland.

+1
    I think the provider should be helping you sort out this issue. You shouldnt have to go to the hassle of organising a proxy. As a temp solution you could use one of the proxies.

For residential users, ISP's generally never change anything and will simply refer him to the t&c's. But you're right - it is an issue for them, but it's doubtful they would remedy it. And if so - it certainly wouldn't be within any reasonable timeframe.
    Amen to that too. Although I don't want to appear as if I'm slagging off Digiweb, I have a good connection, it's steady, and downloads are pretty quick. I'm also using Skype, which doesn't work for everyone using satellite broadband due to it's inherent latency, so I'm happy enough. It's pricey, equipment and connection especially, but on the whole it was worth the investment, I was using O2 mobile broadband with one of those USB sticks and that was fine most places except where I live, which is rural and signal's not great. It was the cheapest option available though, gotta give 'em credit, and pretty fast when you're on a decent signal. Skytel and the like (wireless radio internet) wouldn't work either coz you need sightlines to one of their masts and my home is in a river valley surrounded by tall trees, picturesque, but not exactly a wireless hotspot. Do NOT even mention Eircom. I'll most likely be dead before our exchange is upgraded. Slag off Eircom all ya like. I've waited for years. So Digiweb it is.

Amen to that too. Although I don't want to appear as if I'm slagging off Digiweb, I have a good connection, it's steady, and downloads are pretty quick. I'm also using Skype, which doesn't work for everyone using satellite broadband due to it's inherent latency, so I'm happy enough. It's pricey, equipment and connection especially, but on the whole it was worth the investment, I was using O2 mobile broadband with one of those USB sticks and that was fine most places except where I live, which is rural and signal's not great. It was the cheapest option available though, gotta give 'em credit, and pretty fast when you're on a decent signal. Skytel and the like (wireless radio internet) wouldn't work either coz you need sightlines to one of their masts and my home is in a river valley surrounded by tall trees, picturesque, but not exactly a wireless hotspot. Do NOT even mention Eircom. I'll most likely be dead before our exchange is upgraded. Slag off Eircom all ya like. I've waited for years. So Digiweb it is.

By all means stick with your ISP, but this is a real issue. You are being assigned an IP address that isn't located in your geographical region according to records held. These records need to be updated to reflect the change, or an alternative needs to be provided.

Geographically-restricted services are only increasing in number and you're going to find youself with a serious issue on your hands if your ISP won't play ball.

Their problem, and IMO they have to fix it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

By all means stick with your ISP, but this is a real issue. You are being assigned an IP address that isn't located in your geographical region according to records held. These records need to be updated to reflect the change, or an alternative needs to be provided.

Geographically-restricted services are only increasing in number and you're going to find youself with a serious issue on your hands if your ISP won't play ball.

Their problem, and IMO they have to fix it :)

I would think that the issue is that Digiweb are reselling an Italian service providers satellite broadband.

I'd doubt the OP will be able to get an Irish IP through them.

If Digiweb are reselling an Italian ISP's service then that Italian ISP should set aside a range of IP's and update them so that they report as being from Ireland.

Failing that, a proxy should be provided by digiweb for it's Irish customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Not clear why this is a PayPal issue at all. Once the account is set up it can be used from any location in the world in my experience (I have several).

What you want to watch here is where there are restrictions in the first place. 60% of internationally placed orders in the US alone are abandoned because there is no means to do forex or actually physically ship internationally. Nothing to do with IP and geo detection.

I'd get off DigiWeb if this is the case and they won't help you. Man, you won't even be able to watch Eastenders on the RTE Player (on the other hand....) if they think you're in Italy. If you need the product that badly, then use another machine on a different setup until then.

To be honest, faffing about with IP and proxy settings is a pain.

uvox wrote: »
    Not clear why this is a PayPal issue at all. Once the account is set up it can be used from any location in the world in my experience (I have several).

What you want to watch here is where there are restrictions in the first place. 60% of internationally placed orders in the US alone are abandoned because there is no means to do forex or actually physically ship internationally. Nothing to do with IP and geo detection.

I'd get off DigiWeb if this is the case and they won't help you. Man, you won't even be able to watch Eastenders on the RTE Player (on the other hand....) if they think you're in Italy. If you need the product that badly, then use another machine on a different setup until then.

To be honest, faffing about with IP and proxy settings is a pain.
    There isn't a Paypal issue. It's just a problem with some websites (7digital.ie mp3 downloads is just an example) which won't let me buy anything from the site coz they think I'm not resident in Ireland and tell me to go to the appropiate website for my location, which from my IP address they think is Italy. I think the whole damn thing is ridiculous. What is the point of a world wide web if ya can't log on anywhere and purchase whatever from any website? What does it matter where I log on from when I use an internationally accepted form of payment? I could probably , instead of 7digital.ie, go to 7digital.it and use the Italian site, but then I'd have to translate pages and my point is I shouldn't have to. It's not just that, my browser keeps asking me whether I want to translate this page, and I get emails from skype.com in Italian, even though my email addresss is an Irish one. Also, the IP address changes. This morning I was located in France. I agree messing with IP's and proxies is a pain. I'll have another go at Digiweb and see if they can come up with something first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 board member

Heya, I am resident in Ireland, yet my IP address shows Torino, Italy. This is because I have a satellite internet connection (Digiweb.ie) whose providers use an Italian IP address.
    My problem is with purchasing items from different sites, I've no problem with browsing, but when it comes to purchasing they tell me to go to the relevant country's site, i.e. I have to be resident in the Republic of Ireland (Which I am!) to be able to purchase from, for example, 7digital.ie.
    Also, whenever I start my browser it has to translate the homepage as it's always in Italian.
    Digiweb tells me: 'The ip address that we issue to your pc/laptop changes so there is no facility for you to set up a proxy address, nor do you need one.
    If you are having issues accessing certain sites, servers etc, a proxy can be used to by pass these restrictions. As a provider, we dont restrict access to any sites so a proxy isnt needed.'
    7digital.ie say:'Sorry for the problem that you have experienced.
    Your IP address is not ascribed to anywhere within the Republic of Ireland, which is why you have had trouble ordering on the store. You will need to access the site on a computer with a different IP in order to purchase from us. The country restrictions only apply to the checkout process, so once you've purchased from a separate computer you can go back and log into your account on the first one to download your music.'
    Is there a way around this?? I have the same problem on other sites and I don't think having to use another computer or another broadband connection qualifies as a solution.

Satellite Broadband Ireland provide an "Irish" ip address, www.satellitebroadbandireland.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 technik

Satellite Broadband Ireland provide an "Irish" ip address, www.satellitebroadbandireland.ie

yea but look at the price they're charging for what you're getting

€579 installation + €35-€107p/m and a maximum monthly download limit of only 12GB!!

i'd prob wait for imagine's 4G wimax service see if that's any improvement

Advertisement