Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help hopeless with this stuff :(

• 17-07-2010 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

hi guys,
    I'm trying to get broadband out in the country outside mallow (beteen Bweend and Dromahane), there's trees and mountains blocking our reception and despite having a landline we can't get Eircom or Vodafone through it for some reason. The other ones have crazy installation fees up to five or six hundred euros which I just can't afford. I have a wireless O2 broadband moden thingy but it's so slow so I was wondering is there booster I could use to increase my reception despite the trees? Is there anything else I can do to increase the speed if not? I really need to get a better connection asap to start job hunting as it's impossible at the dismal speed we already have. Any tips or advice wold be great because I am totally clueless about computers and really really need help! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    hi guys,
    I'm trying to get broadband out in the country outside mallow (beteen Bweend and Dromahane), there's trees and mountains blocking our reception and despite having a landline we can't get Eircom or Vodafone through it for some reason. The other ones have crazy installation fees up to five or six hundred euros which I just can't afford. I have a wireless O2 broadband moden thingy but it's so slow so I was wondering is there booster I could use to increase my reception despite the trees? Is there anything else I can do to increase the speed if not? I really need to get a better connection asap to start job hunting as it's impossible at the dismal speed we already have. Any tips or advice wold be great because I am totally clueless about computers and really really need help! :)

aside from 3G (the dongle) the only other viable option that wont cost an arm and leg is FWA - i.e. you will need line of sight of sorts.. have you tried all known wireless (not satellite) providers in the area? if you can get GPS co-ordinates of your house via google earth you should be able to shoot an email off to some providers and they will be able to tell you, subject to survey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

***These*** just became available but not cheap.

Illegal to self install. Only the Licensed Operator can install active repeaters or micro-, femto- or pico-cells. This is because a Transmitter has to be either in a "Licence free band" and also, incorrectly deployed any of these active devices can jam part to half a cell for all operators (Repeater) or one operator (femto-cell)

A router with 3G modem and Outdoor directional aerial is cheaper and better option.

But 3G Mobile is best avoided for Fixed Broadband use. Satellite is actually better over all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I troed 3G and O2 mobile aright but they are so incredibly slow and the reception is really bad. I checked loads of sites and typed the number in to see what I coud get on the landline but the only one that would work would cost about 600euro altogether for the gear and installation. I'm waiting to hear back from digi wimax now to see if that's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Try giving these a shout-they cover a lot of areas that others don't http://www.ripplecom.net/coverage.php I'd say Imagine Wimax would be a non runner where you live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    I troed 3G and O2 mobile aright but they are so incredibly slow and the reception is really bad. I checked loads of sites and typed the number in to see what I coud get on the landline but the only one that would work would cost about 600euro altogether for the gear and installation. I'm waiting to hear back from digi wimax now to see if that's available.

if your line fails the eircom test, stop there and dont try to get DSL (broadband over telephone line) from anyone else because the lines / exchange are managed by eircom so other providers will be reselling their service as such.. you need to look for fwa broadband .. the monthly rental is a bit more than dsl - maybe 30 - 40 but you dont have the initial outlay you would for satellite..

if you go to comreg site and find your location on the map it should give you an approximate list of providers in your area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

My suggestion would be to get an external antennae to used with your 3g model, and then to trial various mobile phone providers on a test basis.

For example, with the recent 3 mobile e122, I can get decent broadband access where it used to be entirely unavailable. If I get 2-3 bars signal strength down by the beach with just the internal antenna, then if I add one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3G-HSDPA-20-5dBi-antenna-7M-wire-HUAWEI-E230-EC321-E122-/370340579512?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PCMCIACards&hash=item563a04c8b8

Or:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/11dBi-External-Antenna-Ariel-HUAWEI-E122-3-THREE-/360280630227?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccessories_PCMCIACards&hash=item53e26623d3#ht_2727wt_1089

I should get a very decent connection. An external antenna should make a massive difference to the connection between you and the cell tower.

(As 3 have the national broadband contract, I believe they are supposed to make it easy for everyone to get decent broadband everywhere.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

turbot wrote: »
    (As 3 have the national broadband contract, I believe they are supposed to make it easy for everyone to get decent broadband everywhere.)
    not true.
    They have to offer a service only in designated NBS areas. If you can't get it, then in that area (only) you are entitled to Satellite (VSAT) system.

But its a mobile phone system. Not Broadband at all. They only have a 3G phone licence. They has certain limits they have to meet on National coverage (as do Meteor, O2 and Vodafone) for voice calls and Data (but not at Broadband performance).

Advertisement