Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runner Beans not producing

Options
  • 17-07-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

I have a few runner bean plants that have gotten quite big about 7ft now. All looking like they will produce alot of beans. But it aint happening. I thought the were self fertilising? The first blooms have fallen off about 2 weeks ago and no beans have come through. Will I have to pollinate them by hand?

Any Help would be great.

Cheers
    Nabber

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you have had flowers you should get beans. You don't have to pollinate by hand, I reckon you will still get beans. I have grown them numerous times and have always had a good crop.

You haven't sprayed them with anything, have you? Just be patient, the bees and insects will do the pollinating and you will get beans. You should be able to see a very tiny bean pushing off each flower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

No beans coming through.

I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I've encountered the same problem with my runner beans, though my dwarf variety are just fine, so I'm interested if anyone has an answer - I have read however that if the roots aren't wet that they won't set pods, though I thought I was watering them sufficiently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Seems to be a bad year for them as this is my first crop in years that hasn't set any beans yet.........

Advertisement