Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moorehill House Tullamore

• 17-07-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

Was there something on the news today about Moorehill House in Tullamore. I came in late on the item so am not sure. I have checked the RTE website but there is nothing on it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Did you not notice its gotten kinda em.. burnt looking..

Gardai are apparently investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Tomjim

when was it burnt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Many a pint glass came home with me from weddings and functions in the Moorhill:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Scawgeen

Clara Street ???? do Tullamore Town Council know about this name change ? ;););) There'll have to be a committee and a sub-committee and a couple of sub-sub-committees to investigate this......as a matter of urgency, let there be no stone unturned to get to the bottom of this;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Midlander1

Clara Street is actually the houses from 65 to 78 on Clontarf Road. There ya go buddy....you didn't need any sub commitees to tell you what all the locals knew already.

Midlander1 wrote: »
    Clara Street is actually the houses from 65 to 78 on Clontarf Road. There ya go buddy....you didn't need any sub commitees to tell you what all the locals knew already.

Thanks for that, you learn something new every day. There's a fair few steps from Clontarf Road to Moorhill House so the report obviously meant Clara Road, hense my attempt at humour ;) and a more obvious question ( from an outsider) why are some of the houses on Clontarf Road known as Clara Street or is that the name of the new scheme of houses ?

It seems for some reason best known to themselves the council decided on the name change in 1949 when it was built. When you come down Clontarf Rd and take that slight turn near the end, you are entering Clara St. It was built at the same time as the rest of Clontarf Rd so I don't know why the change but having said that everyone living on that stretch gives their address as Clontarf Rd...makes life easier for the postie. I lived on Clontarf Rd so these are things that are beat into you as you grow up.:)

As a kid I used to spend some of my school holidays in Tullamore, I can remember my Aunt issuing the law, 'don't go down the 'line' 'don't go down the back lane' 'don't go down to the chicken factory' 'Don't go over to the 'quarry' on your own' I always wondered why it was called the quarry, any idea why ?

I remember these places, the Quarry was a good place to kick ball, it's a nice park area now but still no place to be seen at night. The back lane then was harmless enough. It's all cider parties and drugs now. Don't know much about the chicken factory but I remember it. There's a Boxing Club and a Scouts Den down there now. As for the Quarry, well, the lads playing ball would often fall and land on a huge rock in the ground and there were plenty of them, maybe thats where it got the name. Maybe your Aunt was just watching out for you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement