Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Niteclubs Drinks Watered Down

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

So you're not supposed to taste vodka when drinking vodka?

Pretty sure you are meant to taste it:pac:

Good Vodka neat has subtle flavour characteristics

Vodka with a mixer will, generally, not carry through these flavours.

Senna wrote: »
    I worked in one pub (in the UK) were they emptied the remains for the drip trays back into the kegs at the end of the night. The larger slop always went back into either the Fosters or Bud keg, as both tasted like piss anyway.

But in the UK its legal for pubs to put the slops of real ale back into the real ale kegs, over here no one would bother their ass to attempt to put water or anything else back into a pressurised keg, its too messy and chances are you would lose more lager than save by constantly unscrewing/then closing the tap piping.

A keg is only pressurised as long as there is liquid and gas in it (well duh I hear you say) so once the beer is dispensed the gas can be vented, equalising the pressure, allowing for a back filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

A keg is only pressurised as long as there is liquid and gas in it (well duh I hear you say) so once the beer is dispensed the gas can be vented, equalising the pressure, allowing for a back filling.

Yes, but the connection on the top of the tap coupler has to be unscrewed and re-screwed, if not connected again full/properly, it will work its way lose (under such pressure). Trust me, i've lost 45pints in seconds, because the owner had been fcuking around with it. Its a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Hi people just taught id share this story with ye, I was in the Foundry last night with my mates as ya do,

I was a fairly tipsy had a few beers before going out, then 2 shots of Jack Daniels at home.
    Then before the club we went to pub i got another J D nothing wrong with it.

Then in the club i got a pint of budweiser must of been watered down didnt taste like their was alcohol in it, After that i ordered a double JD @ €9.50 no ice that was definatly not the full 38% abv i was ****ing raging but if i tried complaining to the bar man id probably get chucked out...
    I also notice some people bring in their own vodka etc... cant say id blame them anymore

Any1 else get the same feeling when out clubbing that the alcohol they buy at a hefty price is watered down???

eeks that was expensive for a drink.

Senna wrote: »
    Yes, but the connection on the top of the tap coupler has to be unscrewed and re-screwed, if not connected again full/properly, it will work its way lose (under such pressure). Trust me, i've lost 45pints in seconds, because the owner had been fcuking around with it. Its a bad idea.

If the beer is slops then nothing lost

Not saying that this is a good idea!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

If the beer is slops then nothing lost

Not saying that this is a good idea!!!

No, it wasn't slops, the owner had tried to put slops back into the keg the night before, he then screwed the pipe back on but didn't connect it fully. The next day i was doing a stock count and lifted the keg, i touched the connection with my elbow and BANG, it blew off, emptying over half the contents (99% beer 1% slop) all over me, the ceiling, the walls and the floor. He never done it again after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

a good thing to make sure your drink doesnt get watered down is not to drink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

mink_man wrote: »

That's a good way to stay sober too!;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Hi people just taught id share this story with ye, I was in the Foundry last night with my mates as ya do,

I was a fairly tipsy had a few beers before going out, then 2 shots of Jack Daniels at home.

Then in the club i got a pint of budweiser must of been watered down didnt taste like their was alcohol in it, After that i ordered a double JD @ €9.50 no ice that was definatly not the full 38% abv i was ****ing raging but if i tried complaining to the bar man id probably get chucked out...
    I also notice some people bring in their own vodka etc... cant say id blame them anymore

Any1 else get the same feeling when out clubbing that the alcohol they buy at a hefty price is watered down???
    There you go. That's it right there. Shite drinks.

Not a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

That's a good way to stay sober too!;):D

good way to not damage your live aswell ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

My friend used to work in a night club here in my town and he was telling me that the shot glasses they use aren't the normal sized ones, so you're paying the same for a normal shot, but getting less. Well at least in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Some1 told me they use cheap Huzzar Vodka re bottle it into Smirnoff bottles... & if you ask for vodka & redbull u get Huzzar & some cheap energy drink like Shark which are only €0.35c a can Robbing Greedy bastards:mad:
    The more they have the more they want

Huzzar is just as cheap as Smirnoff, actually it's probably better quality so in the unlikely event anyone does this they're fooling only themselves.

Secondly, Budweiser is watered down piss. That's actually how they make it. Nothing to do with the pub or club.

Thirdly nobody waters down pints, ever. I've worked in 5 nightclubs and at least 6 bars and not once was any beer or spirit or mixer watered down.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

My friend used to work in a night club here in my town and he was telling me that the shot glasses they use aren't the normal sized ones, so you're paying the same for a normal shot, but getting less. Well at least in Tralee.

Trick there is, take the shot glass as well. Makes up for the extra cost ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Some1 told me they use cheap Huzzar Vodka re bottle it into Smirnoff bottles... & if you ask for vodka & redbull u get Huzzar & some cheap energy drink like Shark which are only €0.35c a can Robbing Greedy bastards:mad:

Worked for a well known Irish owned bar in Spain some years ago, Spent a few nights sitting in the cellar with the owner bottling supermarket lemon and Rushkinoff vodka into Smirnoff Ice bottles....none ever copped it....Don't see why the same would'nt happen here!

Mr.S wrote: »
    Redbull is usually a cheap no brand energy drink.

Wouldn't be too worried about this.. They're all bad for ya, one just has huge marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You caused the problem.

Add ice, your drink tastes stronger, stays colder longer and you experience the taste.
    If you had it in a tall glass then you've really diluted the taste.
    Put it in a rocks glass, loads of ice, double pour, dash of coke. Done.

Just because there is ice in a drink doesn't mean people have to drink it quickly or feel ripped off.
    It can last just as long as a drink with no ice in a tall glass, but by fvck it tastes sooooo much better.

Next time order a glass of coke...

Ice kills the taste of whiskey.. If you're paying for a really nice whiskey, either drink it straight or with a bit of water. Cold ruins it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

ppleaeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

If you're mixing a vodka with redbull the quality of the vodka doesn't matter too much. The redbull over powers the taste. Unless you're going for double pours, then the taste is noticeable.
    Bars that use different brands to Redbull sell less Vodka &RB combinations. Its a profitable drink for a bar, but Redbull is expensive so its trade off. Do a special on it for a night here and there and watch the sales increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Mr.S wrote: »
    Most clubs will use the vodka substitute Vodkova (much lesser %) in drinks, unless you specifically ask for a brand, ie Smirnoff.

"shots" are usually in smaller glasses, so not really a shot.

Redbull is usually a cheap no brand energy drink.

Don't think this is true. I'd agree not every shot of vodka is smirnoff but not that the aleternatives are < 38%.

Shots in ireland are ~35.5ml, there shouldn't be any variation in 'shot size'.

Everytime I've ordered a vodka and redbull and got a shark or some other subsititute instead the bar person has informed me.

I don't think many pubs at all dilute their spirits or pints. Both are difficult to do and not worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Cullen82 wrote: »
    Worked for a well known Irish owned bar in Spain some years ago, Spent a few nights sitting in the cellar with the owner bottling supermarket lemon and Rushkinoff vodka into Smirnoff Ice bottles....none ever copped it....Don't see why the same would'nt happen here!

i worked in a nightclub in limerick when i was in college and we were made pour cheap vodka into smirnoff bottles all the time. so cheap in fact the wang off it would take the paint off the wall... the labels were marked and we had to restock the optics with the marked bottles on certain nights... student nights :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The club I worked in never watered down anything, but it was fancy enough, not sure about most places

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Ice kills the taste of whiskey.. If you're paying for a really nice whiskey, either drink it straight or with a bit of water. Cold ruins it.
    That's very true for a good whiskey, it makes me wince to see someone (usually American) order a good Scotch single malt "on the rocks", or pour coke on it.

I'd actually suggest you take the water separately.

That said, I doubt many people will be drinking Glenlivet or Glenfiddich in your usual nightclub! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

SantryRed wrote: »
    Seriously, I've never gotten this.

How do you water down something that comes straight from a keg? :confused:

There's a little black knob beneath the Tao. As the night goes in many bars will twist this to inject more water into the booze.

My advice? Drink Guinness as its too temperamental to be watered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I was in 'the' nightclub in limerick last night, hate the place and my usual wouldnt let a friend in so we went to the other place.
    Ordered a Jameson and red, as I always do. Had a few, went back for another and the barman(differnt to the other guys who'd served me) got my whiskey, put the glass on the bar, got out the bottle o red lemonade and poured it for me! :mad:

WTF??

Has this ever happened anyone?

Often. Get over yourself.
    good way to not damage your live aswell ;)

You are really in the wrong thread friend. Teetotaller forum is thataway
    >
    Wouldn't be too worried about this.. They're all bad for ya, one just has huge marketing.

How are they bad for you ?
    No worse than a coffee with sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

lol the anti-bud crowd are here again

note: all popular beers on the market are watered down piss, nothing new

How are they bad for you ?
    No worse than a coffee with sugar.

Isn't vodka and a red bull drink bad for ya?

I usually just regurgitate stuff I hear on here so if I'm wrong, so be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Isn't vodka and a red bull drink bad for ya?

I usually just regurgitate stuff I hear on here so if I'm wrong, so be it.

As with anything - the dose makes the poison (well usually....not always but thats a loooooooooong story). But red bull is probably no more dangerous than any other mixer - if it was as dangerous as rumours make out they wouldn't be allowed sell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I don't think many pubs at all dilute their spirits or pints. Both are difficult to do and not worth the risk.

I've worked in bar's & club's for years and never, not once, have I witnessed a publican watering down drinks.

Usually its the rantings of the ignorant when someone starts their crap about it in the pub - usually I'd get them back their money and fvck 'em out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its quite likely that this happens in a lot of bars, especially when there are specials on. Not only that but I suspect that cheaper vodkas are rebottled into the bottles of premium vodkas.

Only a hunch, never worked in a bar.

seen a barman do this in athlone before a big night in the pub.

no shame in him doing it ether, i would say its a regular occurrence.

Advertisement