Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Niteclubs Drinks Watered Down

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

irishgeo wrote: »
    no shame in him doing it ether

Err...what ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Whenever out as in the likes of a nightclub, I always order the bottle stuff and avoid everything else.
    Seen too much of drinks being played around with (not necessarily watered down) in the leisure business in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

rossie1977 wrote: »
    lol the anti-bud crowd are here again

note: all popular beers on the market are watered down piss, nothing new

I know what you mean though it's the same in RL in fairness. Bud drinkers and Heino/Carlsberg drinkers just don't see eye-to-eye on the issue. Not that I drink it much, but there's nothing like a nice light-tasting cold pint of Bud on a warm day. The stronger/mankier taste of the popular European lagers in general is just ew no for me.

As for getting a bad-tasting/watery pint, I just hand it back and get something different. The barman almost never argues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

What has budwieser and having sex in a canoe got in common?

They're both f*cking close to water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Didnt know this anyway! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Dean0088 wrote: »
    There's a little black knob beneath the Tao. As the night goes in many bars will twist this to inject more water into the booze.

My advice? Drink Guinness as its too temperamental to be watered.

Not true - that knob is for adjusting the flow.

Who told you this ****e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

easyeason3 wrote: »
    And if you get a strange tasting bottle of beer then it's more than likely been capped (cap taken off, wrong order or not consumed) & re-capped to sell again.
    The funkier the taste the longer it's been capped & your hangover will be much worse in the morning.

lol broscience at its best there. I've heard many stories of the bad pint but never the bad bottle, that's really pushing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Worked in many places and we don't water down anything.
    We have Smirnoff and Huzzar vodka, if you want a brand then ask for it, it's a perfectly good request.

Our highest profits margins were on bottled water, alcopops, minerals, spirits and then draught. Wine is in there somewhere but I forget where.
    We don't charge for dashes but if you take our lemonade to your table for the night, you'll be charged as it's for everyone!

Why bother messing around with pressurized kegs?
    One inexperienced barman could lose you lites and litres in slops in a shift so better to train your staff then messing with kegs.

Maybe some messing goes in clubs but even then it's exaggerated by drunken fools who think the sober barman is cheating them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Dean0088 wrote: »
    There's a little black knob beneath the Tao. As the night goes in many bars will twist this to inject more water into the booze.

Funniest thing I've read in a long time. :D

An explanation to your conspiracy theory is above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Cullen82 wrote: »
    Worked for a well known Irish owned bar in Spain some years ago, Spent a few nights sitting in the cellar with the owner bottling supermarket lemon and Rushkinoff vodka into Smirnoff Ice bottles....none ever copped it....Don't see why the same would'nt happen here!
    I rest my case it definatly goes on . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭clarke1991

little off subject but in the nightclub last night and a friend got 2 supersplits, (cap morgan and fanta) and was charged nearly 15 euro, another was charged about 6ish *(for one)? last week was talking to a girl and she said completley out of the blue, 'supersplits, have ya ever had them? 4 euro, great job', in the same nightclub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Ruu wrote: »
    Yet you'll probably go back to said club next weekend as well and do it all over again, oh you crazy kids.

Exactly what part of "There are scantily clad girls who frequent there that may sleep with you" do you not understand.

The average guy would crawl through a mile of glass to throw a stone at the bin lorry that took their dirty knickers away

So a watered down pint would not be the end of the world. Perhaps in a quiet "no women here since 1972" bar, yes id compain.

We don't charge for dashes but if you take our lemonade to your table for the night, you'll be charged as it's for everyone!

Lots of places 'don't so splashes' anymore and proceed to charge you 3 euro for a coke :mad: Pisses me off no end. thou if thats the case I'll split a coke over 2 drinks.
    clarke1991 wrote: »
    little off subject but in the nightclub last night and a friend got 2 supersplits, (cap morgan and fanta) and was charged nearly 15 euro, another was charged about 6ish *(for one)? last week was talking to a girl and she said completley out of the blue, 'supersplits, have ya ever had them? 4 euro, great job', in the same nightclub

Eh I dunno. I was in a club a while back and the barman was giving me €4 drinks allnight for no apparent reason. I mean €4 for a vodka and coke say - half what it normally would be. He just said he was in a good mood. Which was odd cause he seemed narked off. I wonder was he pissed with his job and just trying to stick it to his boss. Needless to say I didn't question it and bought my groups drinks for the night:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Eh I dunno. I was in a club a while back and the barman was giving me €4 drinks allnight for no apparent reason. I mean €4 for a vodka and coke say - half what it normally would be. He just said he was in a good mood. Which was odd cause he seemed narked off. I wonder was he pissed with his job and just trying to stick it to his boss. Needless to say I didn't question it and bought my groups drinks for the night:D

Maybe he liked you? ;)

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Maybe he liked you? ;)

Hell I dunno.
    All I knew was the beer fairy was finally paying out and I was making up for years of getting ripped off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

SantryRed wrote: »
    Seriously, I've never gotten this.

How do you water down something that comes straight from a keg? :confused:

The simple answer is that you can't. Pints that taste slightly watery have simply been pumped with too much gas in the pipeline. It may affect the taste slightly but it doesn't 'water down' the drink at all.

Incorrect. if there's too much gas in the line then you get a pint with a huge head, not one that tastes of water.

And to open up a keg you meerly get a tapping head with the gas line cut. You then attach it and the cut gas line will de-pressurise it. Then you attach an alan key to the middle of the piping that goes down the center of the keg, wiggle it around till it loosens and you can pull it out. Then add water to the keg and put the piping back in, reconnect to the tapping head and hey presto, you've got watered down beer coming through the beer taps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Worked in a bar in Corfu where all the spirits were made of flavoured wood alcohol. Every bar in town did it. People who noticed the difference in taste put it down to the ice. All the locals drank beer or Metaxa brandy. They were always kosher.

When you had the lads order more than three rounds of tequila slammers then you just put lemonade in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Worked in a bar in Corfu where all the spirits were made of flavoured wood alcohol. Every bar in town did it. People who noticed the difference in taste put it down to the ice. All the locals drank beer or Metaxa brandy. They were always kosher.
    I've drank quite a bit of Metaxa in my day all right, 'tisn't bad at all.

Good rule of thumb in holiday destinations ... keep an eye on what the locals are drinking, 'tis usually a lot cheaper and safer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

SIX PACK wrote: »
    I rest my case it definatly goes on . . .

You said you got a pint of watered-down Budweiser, that poster said he worked in a bar where they "produced their own Smirnoff Ice". How does that back up the lies you told?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Im a chemist and can test % alcohol very quickly so if anyone has a real doubt about the drinks they may have bought i could test them for you.

Im in cork so you will have to meet me there and i will only do it if there is a serious suspicion that the drink is watered down.

You will have to order the spirit straight with no ice/mixer added.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Im a chemist and can test % alcohol very quickly so if anyone has a real doubt about the drinks they may have bought i could test them for you.

Im in cork so you will have to meet me there and i will only do it if there is a serious suspicion that the drink is watered down.

No, you're not getting free drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'm laughing at all the people criticising the OP's taste buds.

Hey, look at us. We're all really cool because we eat Oranges. Your stupid Apple doesn't have any citrus in it. You should eat an orange, even if you don't like the taste of it. Then you'll be cool like us.

Yes, I drink Budweiser. What's it to ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Terry wrote: »

Do you like men ?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Or you can just make a call to the NSAI or the Manufacturer's consumer centre.

Both of which would take product tampering very serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

It's not impossible to water-down beer but it's failry pointless since the brewery will take back your slops, so no real need to do it.

Watering down vodka happens a good bit, I worked in pubs for about 10 years and seen it a good bit. We'd fill smirnoff with the cheapest stuff the wholeseller had on offer.

In one pub we had the same smirnoff bottles for the 3 year I worked there, when we finally did change them for new one, coz the label designe changed and we didn't wanna get stung, we noticed that the older bottle we almost yellow from the cigarette smoke.

We'd substitute dublin gin for cork gin, was a lot cheaper, some cheap rum for barcardi . Funniest thing was you'd hear the auld regulars sayin they'd only drink smirnoff and they couldn't drink anything else, sure they hadn't drank smirnoff for year.
    I don't feel bad about it either, well in that pub, it was a fookin knacker hole, we had shootings and stabbings so the scummers didn't deserve decent drink.

Anyway in all the years I worked in pubs I never heard one complaint about the spirits served, we'd complaint about beer from time to time but as I said no point in watering down drink from slops when you can send it back to the brewery

Terry wrote: »
    I'm laughing at all the people criticising the OP's taste buds.

Hey, look at us. We're all really cool because we eat Oranges. Your stupid Apple doesn't have any citrus in it. You should eat an orange, even if you don't like the taste of it. Then you'll be cool like us.

You really need to avoid http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=598 then

If the sweat of 25 monks has not tempered the cask; which the beer is maturing in, then you should not clean up puke with the liquid.

More beer snobs that you can shake a Bud over

It's not impossible to water-down beer but it's failry pointless since the brewery will take back your slops, so no real need to do it.
    Anyway in all the years I worked in pubs I never heard one complaint about the spirits served, we'd complaint about beer from time to time but as I said no point in watering down drink from slops when you can send it back to the brewery

Ummm what?

Kegs that are returned, to the brewery are all decanted and have analysis performed. If found to be outside product spec no credit is allocated to the outlet.

So yes; you can send back the slops but you will get nothing for it other than a name as an outlet not to be trusted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You really need to avoid http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=598 then

If the sweat of 25 monks has not tempered the cask; which the beer is maturing in, then you should not clean up puke with the liquid.

More beer snobs that you can shake a Bud over

The new craze in America at the moment is Lite beers. Specifically beers that are made to be as tasteless as possible. Coming to a pub near you soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Then in the club i got a pint of budweiser must of been watered down didnt taste like their was alcohol in it,
    That's just Budweiser. It's drink for people who don't like the taste of drink.

I was in dicey's recently. A tuesay evening/night if i recall correctly. got a pint of heineken. €2 they charged. Result. It tasted very, very watery though.
    I didn't say anything as it was only €, but if they'd charged me full whack, I'd have brought it back to the bar and asked for my money back.
    Don't think i'll ever return anyway in case it always tastes like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Senna wrote: »
    I worked in one pub (in the UK) were they emptied the remains for the drip trays back into the kegs at the end of the night.

How the hell do you pour liquid back into a pressurised keg?

OP: 1. Don't drink Bud. It tastes like watery sh1te and makes you you look like a skanger. To the bar staff anyway.
    2. Bars in Ireland do not water beer down. In fact I can't even see how this is possible.
    3. No bar I've ever worked in has transferred alcohol from one bottle to another.
    4. The only place you are quite likely to get less alcohol than you think is in "special price" cocktails. If you pay €5 "special" for a mojito that is normally €8, you might be getting less alcohol.

Advertisement