Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Niteclubs Drinks Watered Down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Should have brought a six pack with ya

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Senna wrote: »
    Yes, but the connection on the top of the tap coupler has to be unscrewed and re-screwed, if not connected again full/properly, it will work its way lose (under such pressure). Trust me, i've lost 45pints in seconds, because the owner had been fcuking around with it. Its a bad idea.

You dont need to do that. You just use a tap on the keg that isnt connected to the system and spray the content out. Once that is done, you can use a metal funnel to fill the Keg up again. You can then repressurise the Keg and serve, or return to the brewer as a 'bad keg. They provide specific stickers for this, but you cant be too blatant about the volume of returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

eightyfish wrote: »
    How the hell do you pour liquid back into a pressurised keg?

OP: 1. Don't drink Bud. It tastes like watery sh1te and makes you you look like a skanger. To the bar staff anyway.
    2. Bars in Ireland do not water beer down. In fact I can't even see how this is possible.
    3. No bar I've ever worked in has transferred alcohol from one bottle to another.
    4. The only place you are quite likely to get less alcohol than you think is in "special price" cocktails. If you pay €5 "special" for a mojito that is normally €8, you might be getting less alcohol.
    i never mentioned Pubs or Bars water down drink infact why would they??

its just the Niteclubs can engage in this act, No1 reason in my opinion is to sell more drink coz people want to get **** faced obviously if the barman see's that your well on he'l serve you the tampered with stuff, I just have a hunch dont shoot me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Or you can just make a call to the NSAI or the Manufacturer's consumer centre.

Both of which would take product tampering very serious

You do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dunno about watering down but in a particularly club I've seen more than one person being a cheeky ****er with doubles and trebles and not letting the optic thing refill before filling out the second "serving".
    In watering down beers it'd be hard to do, though I would imagine having it as flat as most clubs do would give that impression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Hi people just taught id share this story with ye, I was in the Foundry last night with my mates as ya do,

I was a fairly tipsy had a few beers before going out, then 2 shots of Jack Daniels at home.
    Then before the club we went to pub i got another J D nothing wrong with it.

Then in the club i got a pint of budweiser must of been watered down didnt taste like their was alcohol in it, After that i ordered a double JD @ €9.50 no ice that was definatly not the full 38% abv i was ****ing raging but if i tried complaining to the bar man id probably get chucked out...
    I also notice some people bring in their own vodka etc... cant say id blame them anymore

Anyone else get the same feeling when out clubbing that the alcohol they buy at a hefty price is watered down???

nobody drinks in clubs anymore, its all good :)

on another note.... look at the glass when your mans pouring it... no glasses are pulled out from their clean upside position ( fresh out of the dish washer ? ) instead their pre-laid out with water in them...

b******* !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i never mentioned Pubs or Bars water down drink infact why would they??

its just the Niteclubs can engage in this act, No1 reason in my opinion is to sell more drink coz people want to get **** faced obviously if the barman see's that your well on he'l serve you the tampered with stuff, I just have a hunch dont shoot me :)

A tiny minority that do this do not reflect all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

As likely as it seems, it doesn't happen. At least not in Dublin. I've worked in 6 nightclub bars. They make enough money as it is (or they used to) without having to water down the drink.

Having worked in them has made me hate nightclubs now, though. Give me a good pub any night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The new craze in America at the moment is Lite beers. Specifically beers that are made to be as tasteless as possible. Coming to a pub near you soon.

It's not new to them... they've been at it quite a while...

It's not new to them... they've been at it quite a while...

It's not new here either. Coors Light has been out for years. They don't even do a "normal" Coors in Ireland. All the big-brand American beers are crap, as are the Canadian ones. Both countries do have a lot of great smaller breweries though, and produce good ales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

My cousin works for Customs & Excise in the UK.
    The last time she was involved in an audit, out of 17 pubs and 4 niteclubs, all but 3 were watering down spirits, and 4 were watering down beers.
    None were closed down - all were given big VAT & duty fines.
    These places were specifically targeted from complaints, so probably don't give an indication of how common this practice is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

After reading all the replies i definatly wont be drinking tap beer or spirits again. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭leg

1. Don't drink Bud. It tastes like watery sh1te and makes you you look like a skanger. To the bar staff anyway.

I hate this stupid beer snobbery bud isnt that bad and all mass produced beers are pretty much the exact same your just paying for the advertising!

And what an utterly ridiculously statement to make not many bar staff will look down on anyone drinking budweiser dont be so ridiculous if you were falling onto the bar the might think your a skanger but for simpley ordering budweiser not in a million years

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

leg wrote: »
    And what an utterly ridiculously statement to make not many bar staff will look down on anyone drinking budweiser dont be so ridiculous if you were falling onto the bar the might think your a skanger but for simpley ordering budweiser not in a million years

In many pubs they do! In fact I know of a couple pubs don't serve draught Bud or Pint Bottles Bulmers for this reason. They don't sell Johhny Blue either!

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    In many pubs they do! In fact I know of a couple pubs don't serve draught Bud or Pint Bottles Bulmers for this reason. They don't sell Johhny Blue either!

The same pubs that reserve entry for men in business suits and tarty women?

The same pubs that reserve entry for men in business suits and tarty women?

No, one of the pubs in question is in an area which has a bad element close by. They don't serve the above drinks, the only soccer they show is premier league - and not blasting either, they do show all the rugby and GAA and distribute finger food during these games.

They have a nice clientele with a mix of decent local people and country folk living in the area. The other three pubs in the area are knacker holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

You really need to avoid http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=598 then

If the sweat of 25 monks has not tempered the cask; which the beer is maturing in, then you should not clean up puke with the liquid.

More beer snobs that you can shake a Bud over
    I'm not taking a pop at you here, but I don't need to avoid anywhere.
    Beer snobs can suck my hairy, sweaty balls.

Insulting someone over how their tastebuds operate is the most pointless thing a person can do. I honestly cannot think of a more inane exercise.

The new craze in America at the moment is Lite beers. Specifically beers that are made to be as tasteless as possible. Coming to a pub near you soon.
    I'm currently drinking Coors light. The off licence bought a bad batch of Bud (ooh, alliteration), so this is my alternative. It's quite nice.
    I would have bought Miller, but they didn't have any.

How the hell do you pour liquid back into a pressurised keg?

OP: 1. Don't drink Bud. It tastes like watery sh1te and makes you you look like a skanger. To the bar staff anyway.
    2. Bars in Ireland do not water beer down. In fact I can't even see how this is possible.
    3. No bar I've ever worked in has transferred alcohol from one bottle to another.
    4. The only place you are quite likely to get less alcohol than you think is in "special price" cocktails. If you pay €5 "special" for a mojito that is normally €8, you might be getting less alcohol.
    LMFAO.
    So when I walk into your place of employment and say "Hello, could I have a pint of Bud, please?", you will think of me as a skanger?

That's the best one ever. People are skangers because their taste buds prefer one drink over another.
    You heard it here first, folks.

Remember not to order Budweiser in case the barman mistakes you for a skanger. Just buy a drink that you don't like so that he'll think you're posh and worthy of his respect.

It's not new here either. Coors Light has been out for years. They don't even do a "normal" Coors in Ireland. All the big-brand American beers are crap, as are the Canadian ones. Both countries do have a lot of great smaller breweries though, and produce good ales.

According to your tastebuds.
    I'm not too fond of Cauliflower. Do you have anything to say about that?
    No, one of the pubs in question is in an area which has a bad element close by. They don't serve the above drinks, the only soccer they show is premier league - and not blasting either, they do show all the rugby and GAA and distribute finger food during these games.

They have a nice clientele with a mix of decent local people and country folk living in the area. The other three pubs in the area are knacker holes.

Classy stuff there.
    We all know that Soccer is the gentleman's game, and that only classy people attend those games.

Sorry for the double post, but this thread is awesome.
    I just shows how out of touch some people are with reality.

There are people here who seem to equate class with the Five senses.

Hmm. I'm not too fond of the sound of that egg that's boiling there. It will probably look like crap. Yep. Sounds like it will look like crap. In saying that, I had better ask society what they think of my senses, just to make sure I'm cool enough.

They're called stereotypes.

Not always true but often are!

They're called stereotypes.

Not always true but often are!
    People born in 1975 are all skangers. Fact!

Oh, crap. Wait...

So what you are saying here is that Budweiser drinkers are most likely skangers. You are basing this fact on the assumption that you believe stereotypes are mostly true.

Are you, or are you not, implying that I, a Budweiser drinker, am a skanger, simply because I prefer it to other beers because of my genetic make up?
    Are you calling people skangers because they dislike the taste of beers that you would deem classy?
    Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Ginger party? They need criticism too.

• Advertisement

Terry wrote: »
    People born in 1975 are all skangers. Fact!

Oh, crap. Wait...

So what you are saying here is that Budweiser drinkers are most likely skangers. You are basing this fact on the assumption that you believe stereotypes are mostly true.

Are you, or are you not, implying that I, a Budweiser drinker, am a skanger, simply because I prefer it to other beers because of my genetic make up?
    Are you calling people skangers because they dislike the taste of beers that you would deem classy?
    Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of the Ginger party? They need criticism too.

I don't know you - you might well be.

However if you walked in to a pub wearing a trackky bottoms, a celtic jersey, a big thick chain, put your Johnny Blue down on the counter and asked for a Pint of Bud I would most definitely think you were.

I could of course be completely wrong.

I don't know you - you might well be.

However if you walked in to a pub wearing a trackky bottoms, a celtic jersey, a big thick chain, put your Johnny Blue down on the counter and asked for a Pint of Bud I would most definitely think you were.

I could of course be completely wrong.
    So you not only judge people on their tastebuds, but also on what they wear, and the cigarettes they smoke.
    Tell me, style icon, what should I wear, smoke and drink so as not to be one of the lower classes?

I'm really afraid of making a class faux pas, so would you mind telling me how to be classy?

Im sick of this antibud bashing it goes past unbelievable at this stage. Taste is subjective just like art sports and music nobody can control what they like and what they enjoy and what person loves another may hate. Nobodies opinion is wrong but everyones is valid. Seriously people need to realise that what someone drinks doesnt make them a lesser member of society.

Its one or the main reasons i hate the beer wines and spirits forum the sheer spite people have for drinkers of certain drinks is unbelievable and everyone thinks they are a connioseur

So you not only judge people on their tastebuds, but also on what they wear, and the cigarettes they smoke.
    Tell me, style icon, what should I wear, smoke and drink so as not to be one of the lower classes?

I'm really afraid of making a class faux pas, so would you mind telling me how to be classy?

I don't really care what you wear, drink, smoke, etc. Certain products are associated with certain stereotypes be it good, bad or indifferent. Usually that's driven by marketing but sometimes it's driven by those who use said products, no matter the quality of the actual product. I didn't make it that way - it's just life.

Just because a person drinks a particular drink or where's a certain type of clothing or drives a certain type of car or has a certain type of accent doesn't mean a whole lot on its own. However if a person has a certain combination of drink / clothing / accent, etc all associated with a certain 'type' of person then one can expect to be considered that type of person be it good or bad. Again, I didn't write the rule book here - it's just the way it is. Is it wrong to pre-judge? Of course. Do people do it? All the bloody time!

I would be very surprised if you haven't looked at someone with no prior knowledge of them and thought to yourself 'classy lady', 'dirtbag', 'nice old lady', or whatever by their appearance / habits alone? Well have you? Honestly?

Again, it's not right but it's the way life is.

Anyhow,

Back on the topic of watered down drinks:

Does it happen? Yes
    Often? Not very

/thread

I don't really care what you wear, drink, smoke, etc. Certain products are associated with certain stereotypes be it good, bad or indifferent. Usually that's driven by marketing but sometimes it's driven by those who use said products, no matter the quality of the actual product. I didn't make it that way - it's just life.
    So Clysdedale horses are the epitome of Skanger culture?
    I must make note of that.
    Certain horse breeds = Skangerness (is that a word?).
    Just because a person drinks a particular drink or where's a certain type of clothing or drives a certain type of car or has a certain type of accent doesn't mean a whole lot on its own.
    Indeed.
    However if a person has a certain combination of drink / clothing / accent, etc all associated with a certain 'type' of person then one can expect to be considered that type of person be it good or bad.
    Really?
    Please explain how this is so.
    Again, I didn't write the rule book here - it's just the way it is. Is it wrong to pre-judge? Of course. Do people do it? All the bloody time!
    So you are following a rule book written by someone else.
    Where is this rule book, and how can I get a copy?

Why are you following these rules?

Do these rules make you a better person than someone who drinks Bud, or smokes JPB, or eats Cabbage? If so, why?

I would be very surprised if you haven't looked at someone with no prior knowledge of them and thought to yourself 'classy lady', 'dirtbag', 'nice old lady', or whatever by their appearance / habits alone? Well have you? Honestly?
    Yeah, I have.
    When I was growing up, people who wore blue jeans were considered to be scum. I still can't bring myself to wear blue jeans to this day.
    Again, it's not right but it's the way life is.
    Fair enough then. Let's all stereotype everyone we see, without giving them a chance to show that they are decent people.
    /thread
    That's not arrogant at all.

I hate this stupid beer snobbery bud isnt that bad

Yes it is.

Yes it is.
    Do you have the capability to judge how other peoples' tastebuds react?
    If so, please let me know how you do it.

Do you have the capability to judge how other peoples' tastebuds react?
    If so, please let me know how you do it.

It's quite easy. You work in bars for a few years, drink a lot of beer, acquire a taste for beer and then you realise that Bud doesn't have any :rolleyes:

EDIT: I don't mean anything bad by this. You work in a bar and you have to form opinions on the types of people who order certain types of drinks. It's the only way to make the night more amusing!

So you are still judging others on their tastebuds.
    That's an awesome skill.
    Please tell me how you manage to do that.

• Advertisement

So you are still judging others on their tastebuds.
    That's an awesome skill.
    Please tell me how you manage to do that.

I just did. As I said it's just whimsy on a worknight.

I'm all for supporting smaller Irish breweries at the moment. The Porterhouse brew some of the best beers in the country. There are several microbreweries that deserve support, and lots of Dublin pubs are starting to stock smaller brands and their own microbrews. It's brilliant. Galway Hooker is my current favourite. Much tastier than the big-name bland multinational brands.

Advertisement