Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Hair Advice

Options
  • 18-07-2010 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello

I'm new to boards.ie so be kind, I just have a few questions and hopefully you fashionistas here can advice me.

I'm young guy, very self conscious, and latest issue is my hair.

My hair is long at the moment, down just past my shoulders, naturally dark brown. I've grown it long for years, trimmed it every now and then, cut it short once or twice against my will and hated it. Now, I want to cut it short, for me, I think it'd make me feel more comfortable in who I am.

My hair has been receding since I was 16 and although it's not so noticable now, with my hair short I'm sure it would be very noticeable.
    This is why I am conscious of how I want my haircut and want it done right.

I normally get my haircut in a salon cos barbers just can't deal with long hair, but even in salons that I've been in the stylists don't seem to know how to work with my hair cos I'm a guy and my hair isn't in a particularly fashionable or feminine style... Think 70's hippy.

So I'm looking for a unisex or male orientated salon that are known or recommended for working with male hair, in Dublin or otherwise.

Here's a rough idea of how I want my hair cut (with some celebrity references for visuals):

Shaved tight above my ears. Similar to Ellie Goulding.
    My current hobo beard would be shaved similarly.
    I want one length of hair just above my left ear to be left to curl behind my ear (I may dye this extravagant colours... Think Wallis Bird)
    I would like the rest of the hair on the top of my head cut in a slightly more fashionable emo/indie style. Similar to a Canadian band Tegan & Sara or Louise from Irish band Heathers.
    (I know the people I refer to are female references but I can't find similar male hairstyles that would suit).
    I would like it to be managable with no particular parting but with my fringe to the right.
    It should be short enough to manage with or without gel or products but long enough to still be consider mid-length and have flow to it.

Hopefully the hairstyle I just described makes sense and doesn't make me look like a complete freak.

Other style references to take note of maybe:
    I have a nose piercing on my left nostril, just a small silver ring.
    I have a big nose.
    Big brown eyes and glasses.
    My dress style is 90s grunge/modern indie/punk

I would cut it myself if this wasn't such a big deal for me and I want it done right. I also hope to donate my hair to Locks Of Love.

If anyone could recommend a salon or offer random suggestions about how to cut my hair, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you x

Advertisement