Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May need a plumber for bath taps

• 18-07-2010 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

My Dad thinks it would be better to get a plumber in to change the old bath taps in my sister's house, currently with tenants in. Not sure how much that would cost though.

BUT!... this bathroom is in an extension that breaks so many building codes it's just unreal. One of these fly by night jobs in the 1980s. I was just horrified to see some of the crap they pulled.

Example. Look under the bath, there's a drainage shore. Like. WTF! Look under the washing machine in the kitchen and there's a sewer access point. No, not a trap, an actual panel straight into the house side sewer - the trap is out in the garden. Essentially, they just plonked an extension straight down on whatever was there already.

If I get a plumber in, will he like call the corporation? Or is this type of code violation normal around Dublin.

Just worried that my sister won't be allowed have tenants in a building like this if someone finds out!

As an aside, I have a set of new taps waiting to be installed. They're imperial taps for 3/4" (from B&Q) but seem a little odd to me as they take a tap adapter to attach to 3/4" pipe. A lot of sink taps I've seen have a compression fitting right on the tap itself. This one clearly can't as 3/4" pipe won't even fit into the tap tail, and there's no flare where the olive seats in. Maybe this is just normal - I don't have much experience in plumbing.

Thanks all...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

sounds like this bathroom needs holmes on holmes to come in&fix it properly! I doubt a plumer will report ya but he will more than likely point out whats wrong when he turns up to do the work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭carveone

sounds like this bathroom needs holmes on holmes to come in&fix it properly! I doubt a plumer will report ya but he will more than likely point out whats wrong when he turns up to do the work!

Had to google that one. He'd be busy over here I think with the number of grim looking flat roofed boxes pinned to the side of houses.

Yeah, I was wondering are plumbers supposed to report these things. My sister wants to just tear the lot down and rebuild once she has the cash. Guess we'll just firefight till them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭HighlyCooL

carveone wrote: »
    As an aside, I have a set of new taps waiting to be installed. They're imperial taps for 3/4" (from B&Q) but seem a little odd to me as they take a tap adapter to attach to 3/4" pipe. A lot of sink taps I've seen have a compression fitting right on the tap itself. This one clearly can't as 3/4" pipe won't even fit into the tap tail, and there's no flare where the olive seats in. Maybe this is just normal - I don't have much experience in plumbing.

Thanks all...

just for your own mind, all taps use tap connectors because there is no bevel for the olive to seat in to and compress.

on another note cheap taps arnt great. if your paying a plumber to fit them maybe think about getting a good middle of the road set especially in a rented house! last thing you want is a tenant complaining that the taps are leaking or stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Dont worry. Just get a plumber. He will be delighted with the work.

It will cost between 80 - 150 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭carveone

Thanks guys. Yes, there's no bevel. I guess I should go get a book and read about this stuff. Just for my own, er, interest. The taps were 50 quid which doesn't seem cheap to me but then I'm poor :o

Yeah, I'd say there's a lot of sparks and plumbers out of work at the moment. Doesn't look like getting better either, although there seems to be some amount of work available from the corporation who are going around fixing leaks and preparing for this water metering thing. Good luck all...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Wade01

carveone wrote: »
    My Dad thinks it would be better to get a plumber in to change the old bath taps in my sister's house, currently with tenants in. Not sure how much that would cost though.

BUT!... this bathroom is in an extension that breaks so many building codes it's just unreal. One of these fly by night jobs in the 1980s. I was just horrified to see some of the crap they pulled.

Example. Look under the bath, there's a drainage shore. Like. WTF! Look under the washing machine in the kitchen and there's a sewer access point. No, not a trap, an actual panel straight into the house side sewer - the trap is out in the garden. Essentially, they just plonked an extension straight down on whatever was there already.

If I get a plumber in, will he like call the corporation? Or is this type of code violation normal around Dublin.

Just worried that my sister won't be allowed have tenants in a building like this if someone finds out!

Thanks all...
    That’s a good decision you have taken, it is always better to consult experts. At the same time it is equally important that you select good bath taps. I would suggest you to search online for good bath taps, you will get lot of options to choose from. Make sure that you select the best one from a well known company.

Advertisement